Prediction Who's going to be gone before 2024?

Who won't be on the Saints list in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not arguing with your last thought.
I have a different view about Finnis, understanding that no CEO is perfect.
But he was just as hamstrung by Frazer as the rest of the crew.
If we are to be critical about Finnis and his $ focus, we need to put that into the context of the environment that he was gifted.
The problem with getting to that point where your last thought is reality is he had to rebuild a broken business.
Flying on the field is fine but 2009/2010 proved that success is transient and your business needs to be robust to meet more difficult times.
I suppose that’s more my point, we were broken in 2014.
Financially and spiritually.
Our flying on the field period was gone.
Choices were made to secure the business, then secure the long term future of the business.
Finnis did an amazing job to achieve both.
Particularly as he kept us relatively competitive over his tenure.
But now we are at that point where we need to address the areas we did not, could not, address earlier because we were focused on survival.
The areas that are of greatest, and consistent, importance to you.
That’s one reason why people are finding this year so frustrating.
We are still dealing with the effects of shoddy amateurs from more than a decade ago.
The upside is that decisions made over the last few years are still to bear fruit.
We have a development group that are professional.
We have adults in charge of the football, culture and standards.
As you have quite clearly stated, at a minimum RTB is forcing professionalism upon team, infrastructure and players.
What he cannot gift us is patience.

He got massive distributions though. The AFL were sending heaps of money into the struggling clubs. The business model should always to be winning footy games first and foremost. Not sure the business model was standing up on its own without distributions.

He got massive distributions though. The AFL were sending heaps of money into the struggling clubs. The business model should always to be winning footy games first and foremost. Not sure the business model was standing up on its own without distributions.
The massive funding demonstrates my point that we were broken.
Part of that was due to the gate takings agreement at Docklands, another being due to our off Broadway scheduling.
More of it was due to ourselves.
We did not have the funds in 2014 to do as you suggest.
Proof of that is despite the AFL support, we were still losing millions.
So, what’s a CEO to do?
What’s in the job description?
For good or bad, Finnis settled on two objectives: ensuring security of the business, ensuring security of the long term future of the business.
Clearly that involves choices, differing only in which was the least bad.
And that probably is the root cause for our contrasting opinions.
You focus on the core business, I am more holistic.
Not sure that we will agree, we are looking at two things.
The one thing that I am more comfortable about is that over the last couple of years; the wider business is healthier, and the core business has been given more resources.

Part of that was due to the gate takings agreement at Docklands, another being due to our off Broadway scheduling.
So, what’s a CEO to do?
For good or bad, Finnis settled on two objectives: ensuring security of the business, ensuring security of the long term future of the business.
The one thing that I am more comfortable about is that over the last couple of years; the wider business is healthier, and the core business has been given more resources.
You only have to look at our first class club facility at Moorabbin, including the DFWC and the fact that, with three rounds of the season to go, we are still in the eight, that the fundamentals are well and truly in place for a successful period for us.

So, what’s a CEO to do?

In any other era without a touchy-feely AFL we would have been closed down or moved. I reckon he was a disaster. In an era with a safety net we managed to stuff up everything we touched other than not going broke when we were literally handed money. He seems like a lovely man but I would rather a head kicker that culled non important staff and made every employee accountable and elite at their job or be moved on. We needed cruel dynamism. We got cuddly kindness where you got jobs for life with no accountability.

I'm never going to see it as a positive era in anyway. The best stuff Finnis did was showing his humanist side. Apologising to past players for some of our shameful historical acts was where he excelled. He's a compassionate and kind human being. If I wanted a mate he'd be the kind of person I'd respect and probably like. As an administrator I found him lacking.

You only have to look at our first class club facility at Moorabbin, including the DFWC and the fact that, with three rounds of the season to go, we are still in the eight, that the fundamentals are well and truly in place for a successful period for us.

I reckon we are well set up for a ninethmond era. Unless we start to chip away at repairing some of less focussed stuff we will stay there before needing to start again.

Moorabin is great but again I think we could have done a much more focused build. the DFC is amazing but it's still going off on a tangent that isn't all about on field excellence when we have very limited finances. Finnis loved a project but didn't always have a focus on improving on field which is where all our direction should have been.

OK so now that we've started delisting, here are the final results of the poll with the currently delisted players in bold.

76+: Connolly (76)
70+
:
65+: Gresham (67), Highmore (66), McKenzie (48)
60+:
55+:
50+: Campbell (58), Bytel (55)
45+
: Jones (45)
40+:
35+:
30+:
25+:
20+: Clark (23), Billings (21)
15+: Allison (19), Howard (18), Membrey (17)
10+: Adams (12), Paton (12)
5+: Ross (6)
1+: Coffield (3), Cordy (3), Hayes (3), Sharman (3), Peris (2), Battle (1), Byrnes (1), Hill (1), Stocker (1), Wood (1)

I love how often we're surprised by these results!

Also shows that clearly there's scope for a bunch of others to go. Going to be an interesting couple of months.

Back