WHY ARE COLLINGWOOD APPARENTLY PLAYING HARDBALL WITH BRODY GRUNDY'S NEW CONTRACT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodie isn't the problem it's the mids. There's no way we should consistently lose clearances with the number one ruck in the comp. Start with a better midfield coach.
If grundy was playing for GWS yesterday they would of won by 10 goals plus.Our mids are good but not balnced.terrible yesterday and with the same midfield we wont be challenging anytime soon.

If grundy was playing for GWS yesterday they would of won by 10 goals plus.Our mids are good but not balnced.terrible yesterday and with the same midfield we wont be challenging anytime soon.

Well we are going to have the same midfield unless Beams and Sier stay on the park in 2020

JDG spending more mins on ball will help but in terms of balance we need them to be more aggressive in hunting the ball with intent.
We are good in contested situations but we aren’t on the move enough through a stoppage.

I’d say its got something to do with the fact he currently has a year and change left on his current deal. FMD people, chill!

If Bigfooty posters were in charge of Grundys Contract negotations:

BF Posters: “we’d like to offer you $700k over 3 yrs. we need you to take less if you want to win flags Brodie”

Brodie: “...No, I want 7 years at 1.3M”

BF Posters: “Say no more. Done.”

I’d say its got something to do with the fact he currently has a year and change left on his current deal. FMD people, chill!

If Bigfooty posters were in charge of Grundys Contract negotations:

BF Posters: “we’d like to offer you $700k over 3 yrs. we need you to take less if you want to win flags Brodie”

Brodie: “...No, I want 7 years at 1.3M”

BF Posters: “Say no more. Done.”
Unfortunately the BF posters would’ve delisted him and everyone else before the contract could be negotiated.

Only Wilson and Borthwick survive.

If the reports are true - don't get caught up on length. Length and money are interconnected. A longer contract gives the player more security, but is riskier for the club because they can fall off a cliff leaving a massive dint in the salary cap with little onfield return - eg. Cloke and Reids big contracts. Thus long contracts would generally come with a salary per year discount for the club. His money demands are obviously bloody large. We've said that we are willing to meet those demands for 3 years, but think it's too big a risk to lock in huge money for a longer time frame. His contract doesn't end for a year, they'll come to an agreement
Nicely summed up. He will get a longer term but for less $$$. A compromise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Grundy to be a one-club player but is there any truth in argument that rucks are a bit over-valued? Grundy played the game of his life yesterday but we still lost. For all his dominance, we lose the clearances count most weeks. Similarly, Gawn has often put in amazing performances in Dees' defeats over recent years.

To put it another way, how many premiership winning teams in the past 20 years have had a superstar ruckman? West Coast's victory last year without Natanui is but one example of teams getting it done with a makeshift ruck division.

So, if he really wants to go back to Adelaide and we can get say two top ten picks for him........

Tell that to the 02 and 03 pies teams.

You may not need a superstar ruck but sure do need a competent and physical one. Aka Lions ruck group in 01 to 04 Keating and Charman they weren't stars but they were very good at key ruckmen areas.
They were aggressive physically, good directional taps, often used their bodies on follow up to split packs and knock the ball fwd, generally competitive in hitouts without being dominant and did enough around the ground.

So whilst it is true you don't need a star you do need a particular mix of traits to be competitive there.

I agree with what you say but giving anyone 5+ years can be very risky for the long term, especially on the big money he will recieve

7 years for a physical ruck is a huge risk. Takes him to 33 by the time it ends.

5 years and it takes him to 31. A lot of rucks are breaking down by around 30. From there it's a year to year proposition.

Imo 4 years is a good middle ground and then re look at it when he turns 30.

Club may see it that Cox could step into the role if we lose him to Adelaide offering 7 years at over 1 mil pa.

Certainly given our reported tight cap I'm not sure how we can afford it (And Moore Degoey Elliott Pendles resignings) without losing more players.

He seems to love the club and Bucks; I can't see him leaving. Although if Broomy gets chopped it may test his loyalty after next season.

I'd be loathe to give him 7 years but if he would sign on for 5 (on good coin) with some triggers for years 6 and 7 give it to him.

He's a once in a generation ruckman (already 2 time AA) who's still only 25! Just need a bit of a better connection with our mids to harness his ruck dominance.

If he wants to go home to SA after next year. Force the Crows to pay him huge $ that will trigger a very early compo pick; that we could then use to land a big fish (KPF).

Who is to say we are playing hardball on Grundy,s contract some media scribes,s who do not know what is going on and neither do we.

It is looking like we made we made a horrendous mistake signing Beams and you cannot sustain too many mistakes like that,I would be happy with 4 yrs plus options for another yrs if he meets performance levels.
That would give a further 7 yrs from the end of this year,fair enough for all parties and Brodie would begin and end his career with us I think that is what most of us want really.

I think Ned Guy is doing a good job at retaining players we want to keep,how much wriggle room we have in the off season depends on who the club delist,s and what happen,s with Dayne.

I don,t think we need massive change,s.a key forward would be nice but who is available not may I would say certainly not the 1,s club,s want to keep and we need Sier circa 2018 back asap and also the Younger Brown to come through.

Hopefully next season Murphy come,s up and Keane come,s on whyn would help with KPD,s and maybe would allow Moore to go Forward that would be a big win for us and hopefully make us a genuinel contender.

I would like us to retain Elliott also as there are other players I would prefer leave us rather than him as he is looking his best for quite some time,the club and he have been through a bit together.

If media reports are correct, why are the so-called brains trust at Collingwood playing hard ball with Brody/Brody Grundy's new contract. Personally, I would give him whatever he wants contract-wise. I mean he only had 73 hit outs last night as well as 20 plus disposals. Imagine where this club would have been this year without him. Moreover, I would make him the new captain ASAP as Pendlebury's best days are behind him as evidenced by his peformance against GWS yesterday & in turn in the 2018 Grand Final against West Coast. I certainly would not be giving it to Taylor Adams. But what would a person such as myself who has been to Collingwood games ever since the 1966 Grand Final know. In my view Grundy is the best ruckman Collingwood has had since Len Thompson & even better than Peter Moore; 2 Brownlow medals not withstanding. OK. But knowing this club we are risking losing Grundy back to Adelaide while we pay - and/or have paid - extraordinary amounts to players such as Wells, Mayne & Beams. It is totally irrational. But should I really expect more from this group of clowns? I now look forward to all of the critiques coming my way. Bye.

Remember when we played hardball over the original Beams trade? And we lost one of our beloved Premiership favourite sons for effectively DeGoey, Greenwood and Jack “Steak-knives” Crisp? Turned out alright, yeah?

Remember when we caved into Travis Cloke’s long term contract demands? How did that turn out for us?

We have given Adams and crisp 5 year deals this year.
Yet we are offering one of our top 3 players 3 years?
He’s the best player in his position in the competition too.
It’s quite laughable.

Adams and Crisp signed 5 year deals but lets not forget 2 really important factors.

Firstly, who knows what we initially offered both of them, they may well have been at exactly the same point of wanting 7, offered 3 as Grundy currently is before it settled at 5.

Secondly, neither Adams or Crisp are going to demand the same salary as Grundy so the risks of tying up TPP for an extended period are mitigated.

I'm also not convinced there has been much discussion between the club and Grundy on this thing. He's said himself his focus was on the 2019 season. How many discussions have been had do you think? When was the last time there was anything approaching a formal discussion on this between the parties?

Yeah I remember Ottens singlehandedly winning the prelim against us in 2007. Rucks are definitely critical

And our 2 first choice options were sitting in the grand stand.

Tell that to the 02 and 03 pies teams.

You may not need a superstar ruck but sure do need a competent and physical one. Aka Lions ruck group in 01 to 04 Keating and Charman they weren't stars but they were very good at key ruckmen areas.
They were aggressive physically, good directional taps, often used their bodies on follow up to split packs and knock the ball fwd, generally competitive in hitouts without being dominant and did enough around the ground.

So whilst it is true you don't need a star you do need a particular mix of traits to be competitive there.
I totally agree with you about needing a very competent, bog-bodied, highly physical ruckman. But they can generally be obtained much more cheaply than $7m over seven years.

I LOVE Grundy and would prefer him to be a one club player but, personally, would only commit to a contract of that length/value for a Dangerfield, Lynch, Franklin, Martin, Fyfe kind of superstar forward/mid. Whenever any of those guys is BOG, their team wins nearly 100% of the time. By contrast, Grundy is often BOG in matches that we lose. That tells me that the very best ruckman are not as game-changing as the very best forwards/mids and therefore shouldn't command the same contract terms and remuneration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back