WHY ARE COLLINGWOOD APPARENTLY PLAYING HARDBALL WITH BRODY GRUNDY'S NEW CONTRACT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to bite the bullet and get Josh Jenkins to the Pies, would come cheap and I don't care about the joe the goose goals if you can kick 40 goals a year. On top of that his contested marking has improved over the past 2 years
You could count the number of good games Jenkins has played in the last 3 years on one hand

I think you're overstating any improvement in his contested marking. Just not worth the sort of money he's reportedly on which is apparently up around $550k.

JOSH Jenkins has signed a long-term with Adelaide, ending a protracted contract saga for the power forward.
Adelaide’s board — as predicted by The Advertiser — today signed off on a mega, $550,000-a-year deal locking in Jenkins, 27, until 2022, making it likely he will be a Crow for life.

Jenkins rejected interest from several rival clubs, including an offer from Brisbane believed to be worth close to $750,000 a season.

Tense negotiations continued until last night between Jenkins’ manager Paul Connors and Adelaide.

The Crows agreed to Jenkins’ wish for a five-year option, providing the security Jenkins sought after the club initially offered a two-year deal.
it would require Adelaide paying a portion of his salary of course, I'm not suggesting we bend over backwards for him but at the right price he would be more than handy

I do not like that you placed this comment in the Grundy thread given Jake Connors manages both of them.:eek: But if Grundy is really keen on getting home, I would consider swapping him for Jenkins, plus their pick 3 and pick 21???
I can guarantee Grundy is not trying to get home. Why would he ask for 7 seven years if he wanted to go home? It defies logic.
It's just paul Conners trying to screw every cent he can out of us.

I want Grundy to be a one-club player but is there any truth in argument that rucks are a bit over-valued? Grundy played the game of his life yesterday but we still lost. For all his dominance, we lose the clearances count most weeks. Similarly, Gawn has often put in amazing performances in Dees' defeats over recent years.

To put it another way, how many premiership winning teams in the past 20 years have had a superstar ruckman? West Coast's victory last year without Natanui is but one example of teams getting it done with a makeshift ruck division.

So, if he really wants to go back to Adelaide and we can get say two top ten picks for him........

Clark Keating was a classic, lucky to play 10-12 games a year and rolled out for domination in finals time.

Think the midfielders are a dime a dozen and forwards who deliver should be the big dollar earners as clearly these are the guys who will win you a flag.

We seem to have all of our eggs in the midfield basket and unless the veterans want to take a paycut to help bring in some better peripheral players we will just be making up the numbers in years to come.

Maybe our recruitment philosophy needs an overhaul along with the medical team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If media reports are correct, why are the so-called brains trust at Collingwood playing hard ball with Brody/Brody Grundy's new contract. Personally, I would give him whatever he wants contract-wise. I mean he only had 73 hit outs last night as well as 20 plus disposals. Imagine where this club would have been this year without him. Moreover, I would make him the new captain ASAP as Pendlebury's best days are behind him as evidenced by his peformance against GWS yesterday & in turn in the 2018 Grand Final against West Coast. I certainly would not be giving it to Taylor Adams. But what would a person such as myself who has been to Collingwood games ever since the 1966 Grand Final know. In my view Grundy is the best ruckman Collingwood has had since Len Thompson & even better than Peter Moore; 2 Brownlow medals not withstanding. OK. But knowing this club we are risking losing Grundy back to Adelaide while we pay - and/or have paid - extraordinary amounts to players such as Wells, Mayne & Beams. It is totally irrational. But should I really expect more from this group of clowns? I now look forward to all of the critiques coming my way. Bye.
Long term contracts are risky.

Well, if he's producing 40 goals a year playing s**t then he would be a superstar if he played good, I still reckon he's worth a punt
What we need is a player who can bail us out with a nice big mark in a situation like the last quarter of last week, not a 200cm 110kg Will Hoskin-Elliott minus the great marking ability.

I want Grundy to be a one-club player but is there any truth in argument that rucks are a bit over-valued? Grundy played the game of his life yesterday but we still lost. For all his dominance, we lose the clearances count most weeks. Similarly, Gawn has often put in amazing performances in Dees' defeats over recent years.

To put it another way, how many premiership winning teams in the past 20 years have had a superstar ruckman? West Coast's victory last year without Natanui is but one example of teams getting it done with a makeshift ruck division.

So, if he really wants to go back to Adelaide and we can get say two top ten picks for him........

We lose clearances because for reasons unknown our mids stand still and don’t get on the move.

Give Grundy 5yrs, 7yrs is too much but 3yrs is an insult for a player as good as him

To me it’s almost an ego thing when it comes to contracts.

I still find it hard to believe our salary cap is that tight but these would be my list changes in an ideal world:

Wells retired (has happened)
Reid retired
Crocker delisted
Sier (try and trade). Wills did enough and Tyler Brown will play next year.
Beams ( I would encourage to retire)
Scharenberg (consider trading)
Aish (consider trading) .......IQ will replace him in defence along with Noble
Varcoe (retire)
Appleby (trade/delist)
Goldsack retired
Murray delisted

I would target the following:

1. Dougal Howard (can play down back and Moore can play forward) can play on talls or smalls.
2. We are after Darcy Cameron as a tall ruck/forward
3. Petrucelle from WCE ( we need a small forward with genuine speed)
4. Jonathon Patton
5. Jay Lockhart
6. Levi Casboult - relatively cheap (another great marker down back)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If media reports are correct, why are the so-called brains trust at Collingwood playing hard ball with Brody/Brody Grundy's new contract. Personally, I would give him whatever he wants contract-wise. I mean he only had 73 hit outs last night as well as 20 plus disposals. Imagine where this club would have been this year without him. Moreover, I would make him the new captain ASAP as Pendlebury's best days are behind him as evidenced by his peformance against GWS yesterday & in turn in the 2018 Grand Final against West Coast. I certainly would not be giving it to Taylor Adams. But what would a person such as myself who has been to Collingwood games ever since the 1966 Grand Final know. In my view Grundy is the best ruckman Collingwood has had since Len Thompson & even better than Peter Moore; 2 Brownlow medals not withstanding. OK. But knowing this club we are risking losing Grundy back to Adelaide while we pay - and/or have paid - extraordinary amounts to players such as Wells, Mayne & Beams. It is totally irrational. But should I really expect more from this group of clowns? I now look forward to all of the critiques coming my way. Bye.
Greening it is contract negotiations 101

Very simple, very basic

Seller starts high and buyer starts low

They meet in a mutually agreed middle ground

This has been the mechanism for virtually every negotiation between two parties SINCE THE STONE AGE.

What part of it don't you understand?????

FMD

Mumford just getting schooled by nankervis and the Richmond mids. Brodie couldn’t hit a pies midfielder last week to save his life. That’s why he doesn’t deserve a 7 year deal! Hell I would actually trade him! You don’t offer a $1m contract to rucks! I’m pissed that we gave Richmond a premiership on a platter!

Mumford just getting schooled by nankervis and the Richmond mids. Brodie couldn’t hit a pies midfielder last week to save his life. That’s why he doesn’t deserve a 7 year deal! Hell I would actually trade him! You don’t offer a $1m contract to rucks! I’m pi**ed that we gave Richmond a premiership on a platter!
Brodie didnt hit a midfielder last week because the misfielders either simply stood still and didnt move to where hed obviously been told to hit it, or plenty of times they all actually ran away from the ball? Watch the replay, its almost comical now the resignation of last week has set in and the sting has gone

Mumford just getting schooled by nankervis and the Richmond mids. Brodie couldn’t hit a pies midfielder last week to save his life. That’s why he doesn’t deserve a 7 year deal! Hell I would actually trade him! You don’t offer a $1m contract to rucks! I’m pi**ed that we gave Richmond a premiership on a platter!
This gets my vote for worst post of the year.

Strange turn this threads taken, a number of posters wanting to trade Grundy after one good game (yes good game he didn’t play a bad one).

Lethal names Grundy as the most valuable player in the comp. it’s quite a weapon we have, so we have two options;

A. Learn how to use this weapon to our advantage

B. Trade him and let another club learn how to use this weapon against us.

Id go option A, bit it appears a number of posters would prefer option B. Seems odd to me.

Strange turn this threads taken, a number of posters wanting to trade Grundy after one good game (yes good game he didn’t play a bad one).

Lethal names Grundy as the most valuable player in the comp. it’s quite a weapon we have, so we have two options;

Id go option A, bit it appears a number of posters would prefer option B. Seems odd to me.
Trading Grundy would be like saying yes to a live liver transplant.

It’s simple, you have a player wanting a ridiculous contract in a year we have s**t draft picks and need to improve in some areas, especially in trying to get a key forward. We don’t trade him or give in to his ridiculous demands, then he walks next year as a free agent and we get half what we could have got by trading him.

Also more people are waking up to the fact that having the no1 ruckman in the league is useless as teams don’t need quality ruckman to win premierships, they just need someone to give their midfielders a chance and our no1 ruckman doesn’t even do that!

It’s simple, you have a player wanting a ridiculous contract in a year we have s**t draft picks and need to improve in some areas, especially in trying to get a key forward. We don’t trade him or give in to his ridiculous demands, then he walks next year as a free agent and we get half what we could have got by trading him.

Also more people are waking up to the fact that having the no1 ruckman in the league is useless as teams don’t need quality ruckman to win premierships, they just need someone to give their midfielders a chance and our no1 ruckman doesn’t even do that!
Caught much today?

It’s called a gambit claim. Pretty much negotiation 101.

How did our midfielders do in other facets of the game? They were well beaten across the board, does that not suggest they played a big role in our clearance numbers?

I agree with you. But I think our weapon has some issues he needs to sort out as well. Disposal, tapeworm, game sense, kicking goals.
Edit:
Lol. Tap work. Not tapeworm. Seems my autocorrect's a comedian

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back