Roast Why are there so many idiots in charge in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is only one KPI at the AFL. Make more money.

This applies both for the AFL and for the individuals running the AFL. The AFL makes billions and those in charge (Commission, Presidents, Executive) make millions.

And they dont care at all about the game itself, or what it morphs into. As long as we keep watching and giving our money.

Not saying we didn't, but it is entrenching disadvantage.

Might not interest people but the NRL is currently having some of the exact same discussions.
Players taking significant ($300k+/yr) paycuts to leave struggling teams to play for "successful" teams.
And they have all the same concerns we do (ie Salary caps, not actually reflecting the different earning potential for players at different clubs)

To bring that back to AFL, we often hear how Dusty turned down Norths offer of 11m/7yrs to stay with Richmond for less money. However often not reported in this story is that Ralph Carr did the numbers and also advised Dustin to stay at the Tigers because his earning potential outside of footy as a Richmond player was higher than the difference of going to North.

Yeah but Dusty would’ve sold his inner soul if he elected to go to north

Some do it..some don’t

That’s footy

Yeah but Dusty would’ve sold his inner soul if he elected to go to north
I disagree with the premise (it's a career, players have to do what's best for them), but I think you missed the point.

Even though North were offering 2m+ more inside the cap, that was more than offset by outside cap potential tied to remaining at Richmond...

It's not abut this at all.

It's about fans getting bored with a product that doesn't interest them.

Most fans, almost all, only really care about their team. If their team sucks, they have far less engagement.
If their team sucks, and they know they will suck for another 3-4 years at least - they're even less engaged.

Crowds drop. TV drops. Merch drops. Sponsors lose interest. General interest wains.

For clubs, this is bad. For the AFL, games that no one cares about are bad. Broadcasters pay less for stuff that people don't care about.

This is the same for all sports. The NBA just brought in their In-Season Tournament to try to combat this. No one cares about being Conference Champions. Like our Prelim finals, the only reason people care is because it means you get to the big dance and have a chance to actually win the title.

On it's own it means absolutely nothing.

As a West Ham fan, the best I can hope for is to not be relegated - or to fluke a deep run in the FA Cup or the Caribou Cup or in Europe. Without those it would be the most boring thing ever because you know you have no chance of actually winning the Premiership.

AFL footy is a bit like that for most clubs I reckon. The 'big club' culture and the blockbuster fixturing is making the gap wider and wider.
In AFL footy, unless you can lure stars from other clubs, building a premiership calibre team takes a decade. And even then, it's a fleeting chance to actually pinch the flag before you're back down the bottom again.
Small clubs can't compete with the big clubs now when it comes to luring players. The bright lights of blockbuster games and prime time slots with big crowds is more important to the modern player than money. This is unfortunately something only a handful of clubs can offer.

So the AFL are suffering the same as other sports that don't have other things to keep fans interested.

The NFL is only 16 games, so it's easier to retain hope. And even if you do suck, you can Draft a star quarterback and rebuild quickly with some luck. AFL footy isn't like that.

The season is long, and you know pretty early on whether you're even a remote chance to win the flag. By June about 6 club already know they're not playing finals!

So I applaud this initiative. Blowing smoke up our arses and trying to make a big deal out of stuff we all know is not a big deal is not going to help though. Winning the flag is always going to be the big prize. And anything that even remotely represents losing isn't going to keep fans interested (like finishing on top and losing the GF).

The AFL need to be creative and find some In-Season stuff that whilst it won't ever replace the goal of winning the flag, will be something that fans can have a genuine interest in and actually care about.

The AFL season is too long, and the game is boring. And it takes clubs too long to rebuild.

There's not even a reserves comp or SoO anymore where fans of shit clubs can at least have something to cheer for or be interested in.

Last edited:
It's not abut this at all.

It's about fans getting bored with a product that doesn't interest them.

Most fans, almost all, only really care about their team. If their team sucks, they have far less engagement.
If their team sucks, and they know they will suck for another 3-4 years at least - they're even less engaged.

Crowds drop. TV drops. Merch drops. Sponsors lose interest. General interest wains.

For clubs, this is bad. For the AFL, games that no one cares about are bad. Broadcasters pay less for stuff that people don't care about.

This is the same for all sports. The NBA just brought in their In-Season Tournament to try to combat this. No one cares about being Conference Champions. Like our Prelim finals, the only reason people care is because it means you get to the big dance and have a chance to actually win the title.

On it's own it means absolutely nothing.

As a West Ham fan, the best I can hope for is to not be relegated - or to fluke a deep run in the FA Cup or the Caribou Cup or in Europe. Without those it would be the most boring thing ever because you know you have no chance of actually winning the Premiership.

AFL footy is a bit like that for most clubs I reckon. The 'big club' culture and the blockbuster fixturing is making the gap wider and wider.
In AFL footy, unless you can lure stars from other clubs, building a premiership calibre team takes a decade. And even then, it's a fleeting chance to actually pinch the flag before you're back down the bottom again.
Small clubs can't compete with the big clubs now when it comes to luring players. The bright lights of blockbuster games and prime time slots with big crowds is more important to the modern player than money. This is unfortunately something only a handful of clubs can offer.

So the AFL are suffering the same as other sports that don't have other things to keep fans interested.

The NFL is only 16 games, so it's easier to retain hope. And even if you do suck, you can Draft a star quarterback and rebuild quickly with some luck. AFL footy isn't like that.

The season is long, and you know pretty early on whether you're even a remote chance to win the flag. By June about 6 club already know they're not playing finals!

So I applaud this initiative. Blowing smoke up our arses and trying to make a big deal out of stuff we all know is not a big deal is not going to help though. Winning the flag is always going to be the big prize. And anything that even remotely represents losing isn't going to keep fans interested (like finishing on top and losing the GF).

The AFL need to be creative and find some In-Season stuff that whilst it won't ever replace the goal of winning the flag, will be something that fans can have a genuine interest in and actually care about.

The AFL season is too long, and the game is boring. And it takes clubs too long to rebuild.

There's not even a reserves comp or SoO anymore where fans of s**t clubs can at least have something to cheer for or be interested in.
I have been a Lions fan for well over 20 years and a Chelsea fan since I was boy in 1970s, while I have dropped off as compared to what I was re Chelsea that was to do with being fed up with diving and false sportsmanship in soccer.

Been to all but a handful of Lions games at the Gabba this century and regularly travel interstate to watch them as well.. going down next weekend for the Hawks game. Never dropped off them and we had some pretty dark years after the 3Peat.

Agree that bandwagoners will drop off quickly if a team is not winning.. however I can not see a day in the foreseeable future where an anywhere near meaningful other "trophy" on offer would grab any sort of following or prestige, it would just be seen as an annoying impost on the Premiership season.

“There are some pushes being made by clubs and players to find a way to celebrate more winners in the game,” reported Landsberger on Wednesday evening.“

I Did It Win GIF by Susanne Lamb

Not saying we didn't, but it is entrenching disadvantage.

Might not interest people but the NRL is currently having some of the exact same discussions.
Players taking significant ($300k+/yr) paycuts to leave struggling teams to play for "successful" teams.
And they have all the same concerns we do (ie Salary caps, not actually reflecting the different earning potential for players at different clubs)

To bring that back to AFL, we often hear how Dusty turned down Norths offer of 11m/7yrs to stay with Richmond for less money. However often not reported in this story is that Ralph Carr did the numbers and also advised Dustin to stay at the Tigers because his earning potential outside of footy as a Richmond player was higher than the difference of going to North.

And this is the more subtle problem with the AFL conflict between a fair and even competition , and the desire to make as much money (as a non profit!) as possible.

Because of the way that marquee games are created to promote certain clubs, and the way things like access to key timeslots are restricted to certain clubs, and the way events like the Grand Final are restricted to one state - all in order to make the AFL more money - the flow on effect is that those teams have better opportunity to make more money through more regular, wider exposure and their players are in the same boat.

Agree that bandwagoners will drop off quickly if a team is not winning.. however I can not see a day in the foreseeable future where an anywhere near meaningful other "trophy" on offer would grab any sort of following or prestige, it would just be seen as an annoying impost on the Premiership season.
I think the issue for the AFL is that it is all about bandwagoners. All sport kind of is these days.

People just have too many options when it comes to spending their time and money on being entertained. And there just aren't enough diehards still alive to carry the comp financially.

Regarding your last point, whilst I agree, I think the AFL have to try. And I think if they somehow magically fluked it and got something right for a change, it could be good.

Kind of like how cricket turned T20 from a gimmick into something that has drawn in enormous interest for the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is getting to teach the umpires to not take the decisions away from epic games with line ball rubbish.
No sense of occasion or thinking they are the game.
Bunch of maggots.

I suspect it's a combination of finding sporting types (i.e. played in the ammos) who also have "business acumen" (i.e. can speak in stupid jargon about "being relevant in the entertainment space" etc etc). Thus, you get the worst of both worlds.

Almost every decision or aspect of the game that involves this current mob has been woeful.

The current administration had absolutely nothing to do with inventing the game or the league. They have over 150 years of very deep cultural capital, with a beloved sport. Sports themselves are going nowhere. The game transcends the working classes and middle classes, and traditionally the Protestant and Catholic tribes, often a rare thing in a lot of sport. The game is nearly as appealing to women as to men. But there is a worrying trend it’s becoming too middle class with most draftees from private schools, young tradies I work with much less interested than previous generations. The current administration seems to be there from nepotism or old school connections.
Certain clubs are getting all the best timeslots and public holidays games year in year out, just to make the current CEO’s figures look good. This is against the long term detriment of the game and the teams missing out.

The current administration had absolutely nothing to do with inventing the game or the league. They have over 150 years of very deep cultural capital, with a beloved sport. Sports themselves are going nowhere. The game transcends the working classes and middle classes, and traditionally the Protestant and Catholic tribes, often a rare thing in a lot of sport. The game is nearly as appealing to women as to men. But there is a worrying trend it’s becoming too middle class with most draftees from private schools, young tradies I work with much less interested than previous generations. The current administration seems to be there from nepotism or old school connections.
Certain clubs are getting all the best timeslots and public holidays games year in year out, just to make the current CEO’s figures look good. This is against the long term detriment of the game and the teams missing out.
Yes but ..and it’s not a popular opinion…the big draw card clubs of Pies, Ess, Blues and Tigs..with Geelong and HFC when they’re up …bring in the big big crowds and high tv ratings and that money from those avenues plus all the other stuff connected to bigger clubs gets eventually funneled towards North , Dogs and Saints in various ways.

None of us want to see any club go under and be kicked out of the league.

It takes serious money to keep the AFL circus on the road and running smoothly.

It’s not to everyone’s liking but it’s just the way it is.

Yes but ..and it’s not a popular opinion…the big draw card clubs of Pies, Ess, Blues and Tigs..with Geelong and HFC when they’re up …bring in the big big crowds and high tv ratings and that money gets eventually funneled towards North , Dogs and Saints in various ways.

None of us want to see any club go under and be kicked out of the league.

It takes serious money to keep the AFL circus on the road and running smoothly.

It’s not to everyone’s liking but it’s just the way it is.
That’s a crap excuse. Make the draw even and don’t prop up clubs I reckon. Welfare disincentives people when beyond urgent help. At the moment the biggest clubs are getting the most welfare in their very favourable fixtureing.

That’s a crap excuse. Make the draw even and don’t prop up clubs I reckon. Welfare disincentives people when beyond urgent help. At the moment the biggest clubs are getting the most welfare in their very favourable fixtureing.
Seriously now…you want Dogs vs North on Anzac Day with 40k crowd?

That’s just ridiculous.

Seriously now…you want Dogs vs North on Anzac Day with 40k crowd?

That’s just ridiculous.
I remember 2 ANZAC games the dogs were in, one in the 80’’s one in 90’s. I don’t want any charity form the AFL at all. Just a fair draw. Equality of opportunity, not outcome.

There’s a heap of examples that show how incompetent they are. Incredible for an organisation that generates over a billion dollars in revenue annually.

In no particular order- Laura Kane getting on camera each week to explain specific umpiring decisions, the absolute farce of inconsistency with the mrp, constant rule changes to counter the perceived view at the game is hard to watch, only for the coaches to find ways to address them and more changes need to be made, the changes in soft cap rules to advantage certain clubs, the NGA and ways that these players and FS are bid on, priority picks in any form, the ‘secret spices’ formula to free agency compensation (this year was an absolute rort), the fixture, home games for mcg tenants at marvel against marvel tenants (and Geelong at the G against MCG tenants), mcg grand final, the extra home game SA teams get for gather round, extending the draft to two nights to americanise the coverage (in fact drawing on americanising the game should be a topic in itself - big dance - cringe), paying lip service by tokenising important issues such as acceptance of cultures, sexuality and domestic violence, sweeping player and coaching scandals under the carpet, flimsy drug and integrity policies, reliance on sports betting, the rise of click bait journos that have saturated content and made many shows unwatchable, the over funding of long term financial support to some clubs that don’t can’t do so on their own, to name a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back