Why is Madison Square Garden so popular?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
in terms of sporting stadiums, it sits fairly combfortably at the top of the most famous/popular in the world. why is this? by all reports the catering sub-standard and it has very limited seating.

Venues all over the world, even in the USA easily have it covered, but still, it is universally accepted as the best stadium. why?

Re: why is madisn square garden so popular?

Because its the home of the knicks. which makes no sense given how fail they are.

Re: why is madisn square garden so popular?

I'm biased here as I've grown up going to the Garden but it has a very significant mystique to it. You're right in saying that other arenas in the US have it beat as far as modern amenities go but the Garden has existed in some form or another since 1879, which as far as sporting venues here go, is a long time. The atmosphere is some of the best I've experienced and its seen its fair share of history (http://www.msg50.com/).

Its one of those things you can't understand until you've been there, much as I'd imagine Grand Final day is at the MCG, but seeing a Rangers or Knicks playoff game at the Garden is an experience.

All that said, essentially what it comes down to is that its in the center of what is arguably the world's most recognized city.

History and atmosphere. Also being so central in such a huge city makes it really seem like a huge part of the fabric of the city.

I saw a Knicks game from the third row and it was brilliant. Better than LA even though the Staples Centre in LA is much nicer and the entertainment is much better.

Michael Jordan is a big part of the history of the Garden. He did an extraodinary amount of great things against the Knicks, many of them at MSG.

Have a look at this Bulls Knicks series from the 90s. It shows the Garden atmosphere - and how ridiculously good Jordan was (you'll also notice how physical that series was).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PjqMROm9RE&feature=related

in terms of sporting stadiums, it sits fairly combfortably at the top of the most famous/popular in the world. why is this? by all reports the catering sub-standard and it has very limited seating.

Venues all over the world, even in the USA easily have it covered, but still, it is universally accepted as the best stadium. why?

Does it?

I would have thought that Wembley Stadium was the most famous sporting arena in the world.

Anyway, I was at MSG last month for a Rangers/Maple Leafs game. The catering far outweighs any stadium catering in this country and the location is superb, right in the guts of Manhattan (around 34th St and 6th Ave if I remember). It is a great venue but badly lacks atmosphere in my view. I found that US sports fans in general are nowhere near as passionate as Australians or Europeans. Crowd excitement and participation is governed by the crowd announcer as the fans lack imagination in terms of songs/chants etc.

Give me the MCG or White Hart Lane any day.

Saw the rangers there last week - the place has a great atmosphere but the food if typically american rubbish. Downtown manhatten cannot be beaten for a location - but the G with 80 to 100 thousand beats it hands down !!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back