Wicket question

Remove this Banner Ad

4Seasons

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Obviously there is a lot of hatred towards cricket here, but I’ve always wondered something that maybe carpet cricketers can help.

I’ve obviously played on carpet as a junior, we called it Astro Turf, or synthetic.

I’ve played on mats, the roll out stuff..

I never played I think on Melthoid, I assume it was the black wicket.

What’s the Green Rubber wicket called? It used to be flat as a track, and would leave green marks all over the ball.

Obviously someone will answer my question in general, and thanks in advance, maybe we can talk about pitch stories in general?

But first, what do we call that green rubber stuff? Is that melthoid but I’m confused? Is it just called rubber like I called it?

Obviously there is a lot of hatred towards cricket here, but I’ve always wondered something that maybe carpet cricketers can help.

I’ve obviously played on carpet as a junior, we called it Astro Turf, or synthetic.

I’ve played on mats, the roll out stuff..

I never played I think on Melthoid, I assume it was the black wicket.

What’s the Green Rubber wicket called? It used to be flat as a track, and would leave green marks all over the ball.

Obviously someone will answer my question in general, and thanks in advance, maybe we can talk about pitch stories in general?

But first, what do we call that green rubber stuff? Is that melthoid but I’m confused? Is it just called rubber like I called it?
I played on malthoid when I was a kid, was bloody horrible! Then the old matting which looked like straw.....

I'm not sure about the 'green rubber' wicket you describe. Your not thinking about the old 'Gabba Grass' matting?

I played plenty on hessian/canvas style pegged-down mats as a junior cricketer on concrete pitches (nice gap in the middle which made short-pitched bowling even more dangerous haha) and then mostly played on astro-turf (standard hockey-field style stuff, but shorter in length so it doesn't retain as much water) until I moved up to turf-only. Don't miss any of the non-turf varieties, haha. I've never seen or played on something that would be considered "rubber", though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back