Will the new Melbourne side be competitive in its first few years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
Now that it's confirmed that the 15th side will be based in Melbourne, the obvious question is whether they will be able to put together a decent side.

It was always going to be the danger of adding a fifth Aussie team – I'm assuming they'll be called the Rebels – the Force and the Reds are already s**t, but Aussie talent will need to be stretched even more thinly with a fifth team to fill.

Where will Melbourne get its players?

Are they going to poach a couple of Wallabies from the other sides and bring in some overseas talent?

Will that be enough for them to be half-decent in their first few seasons?

Or will they struggle to attract players and be easybeats for a while?

• Banned
QLD are only s**t because other provinces keep flogging their players.

WA, well who cares :)

Melbourne will be fine, the relaxing of the 'must be available for the Wallabies' rule will help hugely.
Do you think they will need to bring some foreigners in to put a decent side together?

Do you think they will need to bring some foreigners in to put a decent side together?

Most definitely. Hopefully we look to Argentina for a few players given their future inclusion into the Quad Nations, but I'm sure there'll be more than a few foreigners in our list.

They will need a few big-name Wallabies to help build interest, but I don't see any general problem with being able to attract players to the franchise. Hell, Perth fielded a team.

They'll need to be pushing for finals from the start though.

Theres also alot of Ex-Melbourne lads interstate, throughout the 4 opposing states, i know of atleast 3 have said they would come back to melbourne at the end of their contract

Also i think the VRU are looking at establishing a rugby academy, with top level coaches coming in to help

Melbourne will be have to have a few overseas players to start off, but within 5 years you will see alot of Melbourne based players through the team

Qld Reds have approx 15 or so of their players off contract at the end of 2010. If the Reds don't get their bums into gear and secure these players, It'll be the same mass exodus that happened when the Force entered the competition.

QLD are only s**t because other provinces keep flogging their players.

WA, well who cares :)

Melbourne will be fine, the relaxing of the 'must be available for the Wallabies' rule will help hugely.

Spot on meltiger. It is mainly the Force who have stolen the Reds' players. I am going to support the Rebels, but will always have a soft spot for the Reds.

Hmm, i'm the other way around.

I'll be supporting them in any game they aren't playing NSW in.

That is sort of what I meant in that I will support the Reds and the Rebels, but when the two teams play I may have to side with the Rebels, although I am very much undecided. Perhaps they could play for a draw. :D

Do u think there will be more league players being poached now? If so which players would be better suited to union?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would have to think that given Rugby already seems to have a pretty thin talent pool, what with no Super 14 sides making the finals and the Wallabies winning about 3 games all year, that this side could struggle. If it was under the current rules I am guessing they would be dreadful but i didnt realise they can have overseas professional to fill spots, with players not having to be available for the Wallabies.

They really need some top quality Wallabies or international players to kick start their squad. If they can get some of Rocky, Barnes, Ioane, Gasnier, Hynes that will be a great start. It's hard to judge how competitive they will be until we see how strong the squad they put together is. But theyve started well with MacQueen, Waldron and Hill being signed up. That will make them more enticing for anyone considering playing for them.

They have some extra benefits, and some sensible restrictions: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m...uiting-wallabies/story-e6frf9if-1225816387302.

I am glad Melbourne are coming on board, but glad that they aren't going to be able to pillage the other teams. Super 15 should have patience with the side and not require them to win the thing in the first two years at the expense of 100-year-old provincial sides.

That said, I'd rather the Rebels get through on the back of a helping hand than no Australian side get through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back