Will there ever be a true Aussie Rules Manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

its good i got it when it came out

gameplay wise its no different to the demo except u get the post season stuff which is quite fun

i normally try several times to get the best possible combination and i get so good at it that i am normally able to walk out with judd, riedwoldt and pavlich and still keep my first pick

the key is 2 let go of players that are costing a ******** load and will be gone next year or so. trade em while they are still worth somethin instead of letting em just retire. i traded neitz to freo in some big deal that let me get McPharlin, J.Longmuir and Pavlich. he won the goalkicking table or somethin then retired next year. he was ******** for me though lol.

metallord said:
Has anyone purchased total aussie rules if so are they pleased with it. I quite enjoyed the demo version.

I've had it for a while now and it's a great game. The post-season stuff especially is done really well. I don't agree with 'melbournemartin' that trading for 'big names' players is easy, unless you're playing on the easiest difficulty level. I have never been able to get anything decent when trying to trade my older players. If anything it frustrates me because I reckon they've made it too hard.

The match day stuff is pretty good to. There's stacks of different stratagies to use, such as flooding, loose man in defense, tagging, double teaming etc.... Though the only thing with this type of game is its hard to know how much affect the stratagies are having. Though I usually double-team Lloydy and this seems to keep his goal count down.

I reckon the most impressive thing though is that the game still plays consistent after playing for stacks of consecutive seasons. I played up to the year 2050 once and nothing really seemed out of whack.

also essendon traded matthew lloyd for josh fraser at 1 stage

and aaron sandilands was the leagues best ruckman.....until i traded for him though :p

seems the program works out the ruck by height not skill, thats y White sucks so much in it

as i continually say if you took the best features from footy fanatic and TAR you'd have one awesome game.

Footy Fanatic - In depth player skills, Team selection process is more realistic from opposition players (i.e. they make more changes, where as in TAR the computer seems to just pick theyre best 22 at the start of the season and only change when injurys/suspensions occur). The game engine seems realistic - more changes off the bench from opposition coaches, and it's not the same players performing every week. Keeps more in depth stats. Coaches best and fairest.

TAR - In game tactics are more diverse. Training is better. Off Season is far better - more realistic trades. Better layout. Player rankings for each game, assistant coach telling you opposition tactics.

One thing both teams lack in realism is the pre-season draft. A lot of big name players end up in the pre-season draft. I reckon this would be helped severely by doing the final re-signing off players after the trade period. Therefore any players you were looking at using as trade bait but couldn't get an offer for, you can still re-sign them. Whereas now, if you want to use a player as trade bait you have to take the risk and not re-sign them. If you then don't strike up a trade you lose that player cold.

EDIT: I think the way the off-season should go is;

a) retired players
b) re-signing players off contract; players can request the club try to trade them and the manager will say the following clubs will pay him the following amount, you can match it if you want or the player may want more or less to stay at your club. You can also tell players you are going to use them as trade bait and if unseccusful you will pursure their signautre after the trade period - this may not trouble some players, this may ******** others off and they won't sign with you at all.
c) Trade period - you should also have to renogotiate a contract with any players you have traded for - not just accept their contract from their old club.
d) Final re-signing of off contracted players.
e) national draft
f) pre-season draft (also used to fill team rosters. I.e. national draft gives each team 4 picks, but some need 8 or 9 to have 38 on the list).

If the player development could be improved then that would be awesome.

For Example:

In FF a player might be 80ov, 25 years old and have hit their peak. So if they have a potential of 50 then their skills will rapidly decline over the next 3 years. You can't get players to have a long career with potential like this.

My sugestion:

Say for a couple of stats a young player might be:
Markingg: 70
Strength: 73
Kicking: 65
Handballing: 70
In FF all those skills will improve. If you want it to be more realistic you need ceilings for that player. So example:
Marking: 70 / 75
Strength: 73 / 85
Kicking: 65 / 90
Handballing: 70 / 73
So this is more realistic as instad of player improving all his stats up and up some of his skills are stunted here. This allows for small players to not become strong players with excellent contested mrking skills and large players to not become fast crumbing players.
As for the potential I think that it should be used as a formula along with the ceilings. It should also have a second task. The first number is the actual potential the second is the player type, eg: full forward, defeder, hard runner. So a player might have a potential number of 71, which could mean a full forward with 7POT.
And then developing their stats along with the ceilings.
Using: (POT X Ceiling) /100
So if a full forward starts his career with the following skills and ceilings:
POT: 71
Marking: 71/110
Kicking: 65/95
Strength: 72/120
Speed: 56/75

He will eventually develop into this:
Marking: 78
Kicking: 68
Strength: 85
Speed: 54
So instead of him getting better in all the skill departments he only improves in the departments a full forward needs to. And if that player had 71POT in ff he'd be a hack and would only last a few seasons before he declines, but with the new POT (which i forgot to say remains the same) he can have a career of over 10 years without declining in skill before he's 27.
Another thing that should be included is a consistency rating. The consistency should start off fairly low, in most cases and improve with the players experience and then decline again when the players reaches 29/30.

I hope you understood all that.

Sounds very similar to the EHM player development system (I assume that's where you got it from?). With EHM being such a great game, I'd encourage all AFL Management games to take as much from it as possible :)

Another thing that EHM handles well is trading. You can actually set trading difficulty, so you can make silly trades possible (Your first round draft pick for anothet team's first round draft pick, even if yours is worse), and you can also make trading very realistic. I still did notice a few strange trades that I was able to do though, I guess trading is one thing that will always be extremely hard to make life-like.

Ah sorry bout that. It's Eastside Hockey Manager. Quick search on Google should give you some good, relevant results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

melbournemartin said:
well im sure that with all collective efforts one day there will be a big footy afl managment game of sorts with everythin that ppl want :p

Maybe if they were collective efforts, yes.
But instead we have six or seven different groups making the same game.

QuiKsiLvA said:
Chances of a game been made with collective efforts ? 0
nah

to make a game collectivly you would have to work in the same building or atleast see each other regularly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back