Senior 16. Sam De Koning (2020 -)

Remove this Banner Ad

At 201cm this is an interesting pick. I was hoping our 2nd pick would be Worrell, but if the plans are for De Koning to be a ruckman, maybe there's still room for Worrell?

Definitely only a defender. Reminds me of blends of Lonergan, Henderson, and Blicavs.

Seems to be very aware of the need to get it to someone quickly who can use it better than him.
A good piece to the puzzle for a few years time.
Yeah, he moves the ball on fast and with confidence. Looks like a footballer to me.

Im not sure he works as a intercept kpd at that height..i wonder if we are maybe going to try him as a kpf or ruck once he bulks up.

They have played Kreuger in defence, forward and given him some spells in the ruck. Sometimes all in the one game. So I will not be surprised to see De Koning tried in much the same manner in the VFL.

I'm really liking the idea that he is really mobile and agile, and the same dimensions really of Harris Andrews. If you think of it like that, he is an ideal big back replacement for Harry. Now all the comparing and posturing is over, Sam we are all wishing you nothing but the best and looking forward to relaxing knowing you are part of the backline.

I'm really liking the idea that he is really mobile and agile, and the same dimensions really of Harris Andrews. If you think of it like that, he is an ideal big back replacement for Harry. Now all the comparing and posturing is over, Sam we are all wishing you nothing but the best and looking forward to relaxing knowing you are part of the backline.
He may grow an extra few cm yet as well could end up at 203cm or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling that Sam and his parents were not that happy that he was drafted by the Cats.

Rate this kid, very good pick. Would've preferred the possibility of Kemp and Robertson together but we do need a key back prospect for the future, and this guy is certainly that. Looks to have the Athleticsm of Blitz but a much better kick. Bit of a cross between Stewart and Blitz to my eye.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon trying to turn young players into jacks of all trades to early *s few of them up,determine their best position and get them proficient and reliable week in week out playing to their strengths,then look at giving them a shot in other positions if it's required,don't confuse the poor buggers.

Its probably a fair assessment to be honest. He was awesome as a KPD in the champs, and in the reading it sounds like he really battled up forward and in the ruck at NAB League level.
Maybe you should go read the Geelong addy and see what his old coach Leigh Brown has to say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back