Apr 9, 2002
Brussels
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea
"Woodward lined up for Lions role

Woodward led England to World Cup glory down under
England coach Clive Woodward is reportedly being lined up to manage the Lions on their 2005 New Zealand tour.
Chairman of the Lions committee Bill Beaumont told the Daily Telegraph: "We're hoping Clive will put his hat in the ring and make himself available.

"He's an outstanding candidate in all regards - I'll be seeing Clive and sounding out the Rugby Football Union."

British and Irish Lions chief executive John Feehan said no decision would be taken until the four contributing unions had nominated their candidates.

"If the RFU were to nominate Clive he would be an extremely strong candidate," Feehan told BBC Sport. "That's really all I could say at an official level.

"At this stage the nominations aren't closed and it's really a case of who comes forward from the individual unions."

Beaumont will have to persuade both the chosen coach and their respective union that the job would not interfere with their commitments to their country.

Woodward is contracted to England until the 2007 World Cup.

Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan is also likely to be considered for the job.

"We don't want the guy appointed to take time out of his day job," said Beaumont.

"We're talking a seven-week challenge here rather than a four-year World Cup one."

The Lions will play three Tests in New Zealand in 18 months time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/3243118.stm

If he'd led then last time the Lions would have won.

Clive is good at creating team spirit which is a key to the Lions and was badly lacking under Henry.

Also the selection would have included only 4 or 5 taffs. Ten of them went and 5 were baggage. There were at least four Irish who should have gone but didn't.

And hopefully even fewer Scots, as their side at the moment is really quite atrocious.

That said which of the other home nation players would get into the England team because that is what were effectively talking about when picking a full strength Lions side. O'Driscoll would easily and probably Maggs.

From my knowledge of the Scotland team not one of them would, though Murray and Taylor would make the bench.

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by jeka
And hopefully even fewer Scots, as their side at the moment is really quite atrocious.

That said which of the other home nation players would get into the England team because that is what were effectively talking about when picking a full strength Lions side. O'Driscoll would easily and probably Maggs.

From my knowledge of the Scotland team not one of them would, though Murray and Taylor would make the bench.

What do you guys think?

Taylor would make the starting lineup because he is the best Number 8 in the game and in 2 years when the tour comes around he'll be peaking. As for what other Scots well wait 2 years and we'll see, but its too early to talk about the team, as in 2 years we don't know which players from the 4 nations will still be around.

Woodward should definitely have got the job last time, they're obviously worried about overloading it with Englishmen which is understandable but due to this the close calls always go against them & it's not really fair on the individual, Jeff Probyn being ommitted for the 93 Lions tour to NZ was a classic point.

My view is that the world class players in the other home nations just want the best chance possible of winning even if it's them & 14 other English it's just those average players like the chippy taffies who went last time who did everything they could to create a divide.
One example was a couple of them sitting at breakfast speaking English to one another & a lone English player came down for breakfast & sat at their table & so they started speaking in Welsh.What a pair of c***s.

We had this debate last time & I totally agree with Boozy, there were way to many taffies (I would have left them all at home personally) & a few Irish were unlcuky to be left out as were a few English even though they took about 18 to start with.

It's always tough how do you pick a player like Balshaw who isn't first choice for Egnland ahead of a first choice wing/fullback for one of the other teams even though he's probably better than nearly all of them?

The thing with Clive is that he wouldn't favour England players but you know damn well he wouldn't allow any deserving cases to be left out just to even up the numbers a bit.

Giving the job to Graham Henry was an appalling decision both ability wise & for having a foriegn coach of the Lions.

Jeka

There's no way I'd want Maggs in the England team - he's crash ball and little else (weakest player in an underperforming Bath back line last year).

If I was picking a Lions 15 today the only non English in the starting XV would be:

O'Driscoll - certainly. I'd love to see him teamed with Greenwood.
Taylor - likely. Dallaglio as late game beef off the bench.
Smith - possibly. But a tough call.
Martyn Williams - maybe. Tough to replace Back though.
Hickie - possibly, depending upo what you want from your wingers.
Howley - maybe. Starting to show a few signs of fading but could still be useful.

The likes of Iestyn Harris would get a bench place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back