Worpel/Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Peerless Pete

Senior List
Oct 4, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why wasn't Joel Selwood at least fined for his bump on Worpel? Chose not to tackle, went straight at the bloke who had his head over the ball. Would have been a severe impact had Worpel not spun with the bump. Still made contact to the head, albeit minimal, no thanks at all to Selwood.

Francis got fined for what looked like a picture perfect bump on O'Meara the week before where there was very minimal contact to the head. Selwoods action was far more reckless and had a far greater potential to cause serious injury than what Francis did. Not one commentator has mentioned Selwood's role and considered whether he has any case to answer.
So are the AFL serious about protecting the head or do they just ignore it if nothing bad happens and then smash someone if a player is injured.

Absolute disgrace, Teflon Selwood.

Trips Milera and gets away with it, since then multiple players have been fined for tripping. Now this, bumps a player in the head and not even so much of a fine, but we all look the other way because we are too distracted by Worpel.

Here is a video put out by AFL twitter, so they must have seen the video.

I don't think it deserves a fine, but Selwood is VERY lucky he was beaten so comprehensively.

To my eyes he had time to see Worpel coming (why he pulled out of the kick) and even though it happened quickly, the option chose was to put his elbow and hip in the most dangerous position possible (where Worpel's head would be), and turned into it.

But others may have a different view.

I don't think it deserves a fine, but Selwood is VERY lucky he was beaten so comprehensively.

To my eyes he had time to see Worpel coming (why he pulled out of the kick) and even though it happened quickly, the option chose was to put his elbow and hip in the most dangerous position possible (where Worpel's head would be), and turned into it.

But others may have a different view.

In general I agree with you because it obviously didn't hurt Worpel.

But lets go back to Howe on Cripps, barely clips his jaw, has 0 effect on Cripps, its only worth 1 max but they upgrade it because "potential to do serious damage".

Does Selwood not have the potential to do serious damage here? Another player and they could be lights out and suddenly he gets 2-3 weeks.

In general I agree with you because it obviously didn't hurt Worpel.

But lets go back to Howe on Cripps, barely clips his jaw, has 0 effect on Cripps, its only worth 1 max but they upgrade it because "potential to do serious damage".

Does Selwood not have the potential to do serious damage here? Another player and they could be lights out and suddenly he gets 2-3 weeks.

Yeah I understand your point. The MRO relies too much on results on not the action.

I think it's a very dangerous action and should at the very least be talked about because it could have ended horribly for a young man, especially after last week.

Not many players get the "potential to do serious harm" clause. If there's intent there, I think it should be added more. Edit: Actually if there's intent it should be added every time.

Last edited:

Actually Howe knocked Cripps to the ground and he was off his game until after halftime. So not quite right there.

Bumping isn’t against the rules like throwing a punch is. Can’t see why a player would get done for an attempted bump, when you’ll only ever get done for actually making contact to the head even if you do bump.

Actually Howe knocked Cripps to the ground and he was off his game until after halftime. So not quite right there.

Bumping isn’t against the rules like throwing a punch is. Can’t see why a player would get done for an attempted bump, when you’ll only ever get done for actually making contact to the head even if you do bump.

Cripps has 30 and kicked 2.1 while being tagged in a team that got smashed, yeah he had a shocker...

Selwood makes contact, its quite clear, his head whips off his elbow.

My point is not whether Howe should be suspended but more that nearly all football incidents, bumps and tackles included, have potential to do serious damage, but Selwood didn't hurt him enough so its fine, despite the fact he just lined up a player who had his head over the ball, while brave Selwood elected to go for the man.

Cripps has 30 and kicked 2.1 while being tagged in a team that got smashed, yeah he had a shocker...

Selwood makes contact, its quite clear, his head whips off his elbow.

My point is not whether Howe should be suspended but more that nearly all football incidents, bumps and tackles included, have potential to do serious damage, but Selwood didn't hurt him enough so its fine, despite the fact he just lined up a player who had his head over the ball, while brave Selwood elected to go for the man.
So Rory Sloane should have been done for breaking Blicavs’ leg last year along with the bump to Dangerfield is what you are saying?

So Rory Sloane should have been done for breaking Blicavs’ leg last year along with the bump to Dangerfield is what you are saying?

That is absolutely clutching at straws mate.

Not even remotely comparable to Selwood lining up a player who goes for the ball, tucking his arm and bumping him in the head. Selwood draws blood, causes any kind of injury or whatever and suddenly he gets suspended.

Why shouldn't we punish that action more seriously? Selwood is extremely lucky that Worpel has a head of steel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is absolutely clutching at straws mate.

Not even remotely comparable to Selwood lining up a player who goes for the ball, tucking his arm and bumping him in the head. Selwood draws blood, causes any kind of injury or whatever and suddenly he gets suspended.

Why shouldn't we punish that action more seriously? Selwood is extremely lucky that Worpel has a head of steel.
Sloane breaks a leg but that should just be dismissed because why?
Sloane lines up Dangerfield, collects him in the head lays him out but that should be dismissed because why?

Sloane breaks a leg but that should just be dismissed because why?
Sloane lines up Dangerfield, collects him in the head lays him out but that should be dismissed because why?

I had to go watch those incidents again, the Sloane on Blicavs incident is a free kick at worst. Blicavs blocks him and in falling to the ground he grabs him and lands on his leg.

What do you want him charged with? Accidentally falling on a leg and causing injury?

Sloane on Dangerfield, give me a break, both run at the ball, Danger gets it first and does an underground handpass while Sloane appears to jump to spoil (probably expecting a handball over the top) then puts his arms down to brace for contact.

He doesn't jump at him or line him up, they merely collide.

If you want to talk about 2 non incidents from 12 months ago then go dig up those threads.

They aren't remotely comparable to Selwood opting to bump a player in the head because he got there second.

I had to go watch those incidents again, the Sloane on Blicavs incident is a free kick at worst. Blicavs blocks him and in falling to the ground he grabs him and lands on his leg.

What do you want him charged with? Accidentally falling on a leg and causing injury?

Sloane on Dangerfield, give me a break, both run at the ball, Danger gets it first and does an underground handpass while Sloane appears to jump to spoil (probably expecting a handball over the top) then puts his arms down to brace for contact.

He doesn't jump at him or line him up, they merely collide.

If you want to talk about 2 non incidents from 12 months ago then go dig up those threads.

They aren't remotely comparable to Selwood opting to bump a player in the head because he got there second.
You're the one talking about "Potential to cause injury" In the Dangerfield bump was there not there the potential to cause injury if the bump goes just a little bit wrong like you are saying with the Selwood on Worpel?
With the Engaging in Rough Conduct incident, Sloane did against Blicvas using your logic from earlier in the thread, Sloane should have been charged because injury occurred

If selwood made contact and it went to the tribunal all commentators would be saying nothing in it, he pulled his elbow in. Michael Christians response would be " i hear you". Case dismissed.

WTF is this?

Worpel is first to the ball and Selwood pulls up on a kick to avoid kicking in danger. Selwood turns his hip and shoulder and rolls out of the way as Worpel does a blind turn. Great move by Worpel, and Selwood did nothing wrong.
He rolls out of the way by moving his hip and shoulder towards Worpel. Righhht.
Worpel's blind turn was the only thing that saved Selwood from doing pretty much exactly what Lindsay Thomas was publicly persecuted for. Lingy called Thomas's bump a dog act, yet Selwood tries to do the same thing, misses, and no one blinks. I just find it very strange. Rules for some and not for others.

He rolls out of the way by moving his hip and shoulder towards Worpel. Righhht.
Worpel's blind turn was the only thing that saved Selwood from doing pretty much exactly what Lindsay Thomas was publicly persecuted for. Lingy called Thomas's bump a dog act, yet Selwood tries to do the same thing, misses, and no one blinks. I just find it very strange. Rules for some and not for others.
That's pretty tricky: moving his hip and shoulder toward Worpel while moving his body out of the way. lol

After Selwood pulls up from kicking the ball (notice that?), Selwood does turn his shoulder to protect himself, but bends out the way to avoid belting Worpel. Otherwise Worpel is knocked out.

Thomas has plenty of history. Selwood has got exactly zero history of lining up a ball player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back