Florimo-299

Debutant
Oct 11, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears//Manly
Is Rugby Union the worst out of the four football codes?

--in terms of participation rates, support, skill involved etc?

AFL - skillful/high participation rates/high support -good fun
League -- less skillful/high participation rates/high support -- alright
Soccer -- skilfull/high participation rates/high support -- boring
Union - more than league less than others in skill/ lowest participation rates/lowest support (for club teams) -- yawn

Union combines the worst of league and AFL

League
-Tackling -- but basically stacks on
-Got rid of the 10m rule
-Too many penalties (3pts! cmon)

AFL
--Kick it away -- they have made this into an art form -- get the ball 10m in your half (how we going to score capt? Kick it away and hope they stuff up)

Its like it was invented by people who just wanted to play stacks on. Then someone realised the guy on the bottom had a ball, so they stole and kicked it away and played stacks on again.

Bugger, some one's finally posted, over 2 weeks without a peep, you Victorians really do prefer Union over League, don't ya's.:rolleyes:

Don't worry, you guy's can post in the Rugby League section, there's plenty of traffic in there.:D

What ya's reckon, everywhere the Union game has had a WC, except South Africa, the playing numbers of Rugby League have gone through the roof, I can see a French Rugby X111 revolution again, how about you.:D

1935-6, nearly 2500 clubs like bang, playing X111 Rugby.

It's happening again, not as quick as before, but is starting to happen.:D

I'm glad Vichy has a Rugby X111 team, it would p!ss all those old w*****s off.:D

ParraEelsNRL said:
Bugger, some one's finally posted, over 2 weeks without a peep, you Victorians really do prefer Union over League, don't ya's.:rolleyes:

According to his location he is from Canberra...

Rugby Union aint bad, it's a greater game than League and has more similarities to AFL.

Rugby League is the dumbest game of all:thumbsu:

It's better than League because of these reasons:

Play continues flowing. I.E during rucks and mauls the play doesn't stop like tackling in League. The ball is still contested for.

Scrums are meaningful.

The backline have more intricate and spectacular set plays.

Meaningful international competition across more than 3 countries.

It's full of subtleties that I'm not surprised you're unaware of.

Refried Noodle said:
It's better than League because of these reasons:

Play continues flowing. I.E during rucks and mauls the play doesn't stop like tackling in League. The ball is still contested for.

Scrums are meaningful.

The backline have more intricate and spectacular set plays.

Meaningful international competition across more than 3 countries.

It's full of subtleties that I'm not surprised you're unaware of.

Half the time the ball kicks out of the full anyway... leads to a line out... then another penalty... rarely any real action.

Penalties given far too easily... worth too many points... usually more goals than tries in the game.

Scrums are competitive but they take usually AGES to pack and rarely goes against the feed anyway. Also potentially dangerous.

Most of the top 5 nations wouldn't hold a chance to NZ's dominance in Union... no real competitiveness outside the top 5-6 countries.

ParraEelsNRL said:

Don't worry, you guy's can post in the Rugby League section, there's plenty of traffic in there.:D

What ya's reckon, everywhere the Union game has had a WC, except South Africa, the playing numbers of Rugby League have gone through the roof, I can see a French Rugby X111 revolution again, how about you.:D

1935-6, nearly 2500 clubs like bang, playing X111 Rugby.

It's happening again, not as quick as before, but is starting to happen.:D

I'm glad Vichy has a Rugby X111 team, it would p!ss all those old w*****s off.:D
Well if League isn't the stupidest sport in the world... Union is a lot more educated, is played internationally (who gives jack about Tri Nations League anyway), and is more skillful, anyone who doesn't realise that has never watched it. There is more contested ball, rather than the only way to strop your opponents of the ball being a clanger, and it isn't just some dumb guys jumping on top of each other and then giving them room to get up.

pcpp said:
Half the time the ball kicks out of the full anyway... leads to a line out... then another penalty... rarely any real action.

Penalties given far too easily... worth too many points... usually more goals than tries in the game.

Scrums are competitive but they take usually AGES to pack and rarely goes against the feed anyway. Also potentially dangerous.

I agree these are the major distractions and if they were addressed then RU would rock .
So get rid of the FB kicking out and reward the attacking team .
Maybe the linesman could throw the ball in a la AR .
If the playing numbers were reduced to 13 , you'd get a much more flow in attack and much less penalties .

cos789 said:
I agree these are the major distractions and if they were addressed then RU would rock .
So get rid of the FB kicking out and reward the attacking team .
Maybe the linesman could throw the ball in a la AR .
If the playing numbers were reduced to 13 , you'd get a much more flow in attack and much less penalties .

You forgot to add a play the ball.

Rugby League anybody :D

Hey cus789, long time no see, good news about WA Rugby League huh, things seem to be coming along very nicely, won't be long now, you'll be able to support your very own Rugby League team, I bet you can't wait.:thumbsu:

sherrthecat said:
Well if League isn't the stupidest sport in the world... Union is a lot more educated, is played internationally (who gives jack about Tri Nations League anyway), and is more skillful, anyone who doesn't realise that has never watched it. There is more contested ball, rather than the only way to strop your opponents of the ball being a clanger, and it isn't just some dumb guys jumping on top of each other and then giving them room to get up.

No it's not, it's shyte.:rolleyes:

ParraEelsNRL said:
Hey cus789, long time no see, good news about WA Rugby League huh,

Huh ? Wuddya mean ?

WARL are dropping the 14s , competition is completely unbalanced and they're losing juniors to RU .
So what's the good news ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's such a shame because Rugby Union is such a great sport when played and refereed properly.

But the last two years have been absolutely horrid. The amount of really good professional games i've seen in that time i could count on my hands.

I honestly, and have always said that (even when professional Rugby was at it's peak in the early part of this decade) the best form of rugby to watch is schoolboy rugby, in particular 1st and 2nd XV from the big private school comeptitions - in NSW that would be CAS and GPS Rugby.

The referees are much more lenient and the goalkicking not as deadly, and the natural flair of teenagers comes out which means lots of tries, lots of attacking, and not many shots at goal. IT is good football to watch.

at the moment, professoional rugby is absolutely terrible to watch.

Black Thunder said:
I honestly, and have always said that (even when professional Rugby was at it's peak in the early part of this decade) the best form of rugby to watch is schoolboy rugby, in particular 1st and 2nd XV from the big private school comeptitions - in NSW that would be CAS and GPS Rugby.

The referees are much more lenient and the goalkicking not as deadly, and the natural flair of teenagers comes out which means lots of tries, lots of attacking, and not many shots at goal. IT is good football to watch.

Alas, my school was always thrashed by Joeys - notably by one player in particular who goes by the name of Kurtley Beale ... :p

Black Thunder said:

at the moment, professoional rugby is absolutely terrible to watch.
Yep i agree entirely. I went to a GPS school in Brisbane and i have seen around 10-20 wallabies when they were teenages. You can really pick which players are going to make it at that age.

RUgby union,

the game they play in heaven???

if blokes with no necks and f'd up ears are going to stomp on my head with studs while im on the ground then i better start commiting some sins so i can go the other way,

nothing more than thugby, League is also crap.

no skill at all, run, throw, tackle, stop, repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back