Worst place you have ever visited?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you name a place that you have been to on a holiday or perhaps, a weekend getaway that you absolutely hated and couldn't wait to leave? Be it in Australia or Overseas...where would you not visit again?

I have generally liked most places that I have visited but one I was not too thrilled about was the Greek Island of Samos, having been to quite a few of the Greek Islands, I loved the majority of them, but for some reason as soon as we arrived in Samos I took an instant dislike to the place. People were unfriendly..starting at the airport, the hotel was not what was illustrated in the brochures especially the bit where the hotel was supposed to be situated along the marina....instead it was halfway up a steep hill which you had to hold onto the railings otherwise you would slip on rocks, the owners of the hotel also weren't to helpful with anything...not to exciting if after an evening out in town and had consumed a few drinks. We cut short our trip in Samos, forfeiting an additional two nights in "Hell Hotel" and boarded a ferry to cross over to Turkey which was about two hours away.

Aquamarinejewel said:
What didn't you like about those places ?

Geralton looked very flat and bleak. The houses were all the same and very small, it actually looked like a depressed area.

I went to Bermingham during the middle of winter and it was cold, wet and grey (as you would expect). Anyhoo the people looked depressed and rough.

South London - filthy, depressing and rundown.
Brisbane - I got off the plane, and felt like turning round and re-boarding. Hated the place.

ROW - Las Americas, Tenerife

A holiday resort full of tower blocks completely built for the British. The Spanish were so desperate to keep us away from the rest of the island they build us a resort in a disused barren hell hole.

They succeded as its now full of Brits drinking the same beer as at home (in pubs called The Red Lion, eating the same food, watching the same telly and reading the same papers.

The only difference is that

1) Its about 35C, hence
2) Everyone is sunburnt, hence
3) People moan about it being to hot.

(Although I did like going there when I was 12 - the water park is cool)

Aus - Wilcania, NSW. Scary.

UK - Southmead, Bristol, England.

I dont care if its in my home town, its a fecking dump. It's intimadating, and insular to the point of being inbred. Below is the local pub where you are likely to be glassed if you are not a "meader"

397.jpg

pomcrow said:
ROW - Las Americas, Tenerife

A holiday resort full of tower blocks completely built for the British. The Spanish were so desperate to keep us away from the rest of the island they build us a resort in a disused barren hell hole.

They succeded as its now full of Brits drinking the same beer as at home (in pubs called The Red Lion, eating the same food, watching the same telly and reading the same papers.

The only difference is that

1) Its about 35C, hence
2) Everyone is sunburnt, hence
3) People moan about it being to hot.

I just had a flashback of Magalluf, Majorca bigtime.

The worse place ive ever been is Swansea, Wales.

Full of pregnant 16yo's in tracksuits & druggies (no frankston jokes please)

Awful, miserable place where it always rains and i couldnt wait to get the hell back on the train and never return.

Aquamarinejewel said:
Can you name a place that you have been to on a holiday or perhaps, a weekend getaway that you absolutely hated and couldn't wait to leave? Be it in Australia or Overseas...where would you not visit again?

I have generally liked most places that I have visited but one I was not too thrilled about was the Greek Island of Samos, having been to quite a few of the Greek Islands, I loved the majority of them, but for some reason as soon as we arrived in Samos I took an instant dislike to the place. People were unfriendly..starting at the airport, the hotel was not what was illustrated in the brochures especially the bit where the hotel was supposed to be situated along the marina....instead it was halfway up a steep hill which you had to hold onto the railings otherwise you would slip on rocks, the owners of the hotel also weren't to helpful with anything...not to exciting if after an evening out in town and had consumed a few drinks. We cut short our trip in Samos, forfeiting an additional two nights in "Hell Hotel" and boarded a ferry to cross over to Turkey which was about two hours away.

Oh dear.. my dad is from Samos

I've never been there myself, but im very sorry to hear that you didnt like it!

Anyway, my place would surprisingly be NYC. In my case i thought the people were great, quite helpful to us poor, mainly lost tourists.
But i just felt so claustaphobic in that city, along with the roadworks that seemed to be on every corner, heat, trash in the streets (and the smell). I'll prob never go back there.

Every other city/place ive been to in the US was great but. Chi-town, cant WAIT to go back there. :thumbsu:

Albury.

For some reason me and Albury just dont hit it off. I've been there maybe 4 or 5 times and each time has been a disastor. The last time (more than ten years ago) I ended up getting into a fist fight with the guy driving our bus during a food stop. I've made it a point to avoid the place ever since.

Marseille was very very average...I nearly got into a fight with some locals and i'd only been there an hour (it's a personal best!)....

I would never had gone if the Wallabies weren't playing there....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rick James said:
Coober Pedy and Robinvale

i win

I see you and raise you a Derby (WA), and Fitzroy Crossing. Mum lived there (Derby) last year teaching school of the air. At the end of the street was a sobering up shelter with 3 metre barbed wire fences surrounding it. The place was filthy.

Fitzroy Crossing was worse. The conditions these people live in must be hell on earth.

peternorth said:
worst place? for me its adelaide and hobart.

Hobart is beautiful, all the best aspects of a place like Sydney but with no Sydneysiders-perfect. Adelaide isnt the worst capital city in Australia, it's OK in a bizzaro world kind of way.

International: Manchester, without doubt the most depressing hellhole I've ever seen.

Australia: Anything more than 30km West of Sydney. Just a sea of depressed suburbanites, monstrous fast food/all you can eat bistros and people living on top of each other and struggling to meet their mortgages. Can't believe people actually choose to live there.

peternorth said:
actually sounds likes eastlands in ringwood on a saturday morning!

worst place? for me its adelaide and hobart.

Adelaide is a hole but Hobart is as pretty a place as I have visited.

Launceston on the other hand has got to be one of the most depressing CBD's I have ever visited. Dont get me wrong once you get out of the City and into the Tamar valley it is sensational.

Thanks God for the Boags brewery in Launceston.

ozserpico66 said:
Adelaide is a hole but Hobart is as pretty a place as I have visited.
Adelaide>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Where u live

Shell said:
Oh dear.. my dad is from Samos

I've never been there myself, but im very sorry to hear that you didnt like it!

I hated Paris the first time I went there...second time I visited I absolutely loved it...so it was probably one of those things wrong place at the wrong time.

Aquamarinejewel said:
I hated Paris the first time I went there...second time I visited I absolutely loved it...so it was probably one of those things wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah, suppose things can just go 'wrong' on a trip and you unfairly "take it out" on the city!!!

Like i was there with the huge blackout of NYC, which took off a day and half of travelling cause everything was in effect closed!! My trip to Chicago went without a hitch but.

My bro and my aunty is in Samos and the Greek Islands right now and are absolutely loving it! In fact my brother said "the people here are very friendly", unlike your recollection of them!!

Everyone has different experiences!

btw, i didnt mind Paris. Felt like an absloute dumb-a-ss coz i didnt speak a word of french! Other than that, had a good time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back