Worst umpiring decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was having a chat about it with a mate. There are howlers all the time but its hard to remember specific ones

I remember the speccy that mark mcveigh took on some blokes shoulders that was paid hands in the back because his hands brushed against his back ever so slightly on the way up. That was discusting.

From Hawthorn one that comes to mind is a 50 paid against franklin for throwing the ball to David Hale because the umpire pointed his arm the wrong way indicting it was Hales free, even the north players were running into our attacking 50 to flood before Hale could take the kick

What are some of the worst Howlers?

when i see a player bounce the ball when being tackled and nothing gets called it makes me cry. its hard enough to get a proper holding the ball as it is.

also the mcguane rushed behind a couple years ago. apparently being given a hospital handball then being tackled isnt any pressure. another time grigg was trying to handball it across goals and fluffed it into the post. clearly wasnt deliberate just bloody *ed.

This year decided to refer an oob on the full in a pocket to the video umpire

Trouble is it was an attacking player clearly who would have touched the ball

Result. Back pocket free kick to birchall, other option would have been a throw in

Hard to pick just one, jeez. But if choosing an umpire who'd win the prize for most worst decisions ever than it probably be Justin Schmitt.

296503_120714274696362_3522240_n.jpg

there were two howlers in the rd 19 hawthorn v geelong game.

the first was burgoynes toss just outside our goal square in the third, the second was the non call for the rioli tackle on duncan in the last 2 minutes.

Peter Moore paid a mark well behind the goal line late in 1981. Cost us finals. And umpire McMurray penalising Maurie Sheahan for wasting time in 1933. Lowlights in our endless struggle against the maggots.

the deliberate out of bounds ve cotchin this year when he sharked on the line and kicked it fwd 25m's.

in general anytime a player for any team gets pinged for holding the ball when not making a genuine attempt even tho there were 20 blokes on him and he doing his best seal impersonation.

563001-jeff-gieschen.jpg

Umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ... umpires never make mistakes ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody from Port bothered to call for a video review because they were all too busy celebrating an obvious goal that it didn't even occur to anyone that they might need to. And that game ended in a draw, so don't let anybody tell you that umpires don't influence matches.

The one I remember was three years ago. Carlton vs Melbourne. It was a kick-out for the Dees. The umpire just went and blew his whistle for absolutely no reason at all. None. Melbourne player was about to mark it and he just blew it, then blew it again, then BALLED IT UP. I still have no idea why, I went back and listened to the commentary and none of them had any idea either. Ended up in a Carlton goal too.

I always think of the 2008 GF when Ablett was taken out late by Mitchell while handballing to Ling, who then ran 10 m amd kicked to the goal square and the ump paid the free down the ground where Lings kick landed.

They changed the rule the next year but at the time the free could only be paid from where Abletts handball went.

When a bloke takes a mark 45 metres out, recieves a 50 metre penalty and the umpire puts the man on the mark at the top of the goal square.

Regardless, no player should be missing this

I remember when Henry Slattery got pinged a year or two ago when an opposition player was trying to tackle him and he went back and handballed it over the goal line. No different to countless other incidents that have ignored (in fact I've seen ones with opposition players far further away that have been ignored) but for some reason the umpire decided that he wasn't under pressure and it was a free kick against. The first free kick I ever saw paid under that rule as well.

In general though, intentional out of bounds and 'didn't make a genuine effort to dispose of the ball' when under a pack of players are two of the worst umpired rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back