Summer Wrestling potentially ousted from the Olympic Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/wrestling-dropped-olympics-make-way-new-sport/1755841/

Just one of the many places saying that wrestling may very well be excluded from future olympic games. Not one of Australias sports so will probably help us medal table wise but IMO it has continued a very worrying trend of the IOC to turn the Olympics into the Xtreme Games v2.0, most likely in an attempt to appeal to the 'T20 market' of sports watchers.

First softball and baseball gone for golf (boring to watch I will admit) and BMX and looking at some of the possibilities for the wrestling replacement make me cringe, sport climbing, for example.

Sorry if there is a thread around already but I couldn't find one.

One of the oldest sports in the world. It goes back to the ancient days.

To take it out because of todays " T20 " Generation sport fans <<<< Shame on the Olympics commitee

In the last few days I have heard a legitimate campaign to try and get pole dancing as an olympic sport, taking the spot left by wrestling

The sport might be serious but they will be starting a long way back. The IOC regocnises the following sports ad they have all lobbied to get in, or like baseball and softball lobbying to get back in after they were kicked out in 2007 but allowed to participate in 2008 Beijing games.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Anti-Doping-Community/IFs/List-of-IFs/

IOC-Recognized IFs (34/34)
  • Air Sports (FAI) - World Air Sports Federation
  • Automobile (FIA) - International Automobile Federation
  • Bandy (FIB) - Federation of International Bandy
  • Baseball (IBAF) - International Baseball Federation
  • Billiards Sports (WCBS) - World Confederation of Billiards
  • Boules (CMSB) - Conféderation mondiale des sports de boules
  • Bowling (FIQ) - Fédération internationale des quilleurs
  • Bridge (WBF) - World Bridge Federation
  • Chess (FIDE) - International Chess Federation
  • Cricket (ICC) - International Cricket Council
  • Dance Sport (WDSF) - World Dance Sport Federation
  • Floorball (IFF) - International Floorball Federation
  • Flying Disc (WFDF) - World Flying Disc Federation
  • Karate (WKF) - World Karate Federation
  • Korfball (IKF) - International Korfball Federation
  • Life Saving (ILS) - International Life Saving Federation
  • Motorcycling (FIM) - International Motorcycling Federation
  • Mountaineering and Climbing (UIAA) - International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation
  • Netball (IFNA) - International Netball Federation
  • Orienteering (IOF) - International Orienteering Federation
  • Pelota (FIPV) - Fédération internationale de pelote basque
  • Polo (FIP) - Federation of International Polo
  • Powerboating (UIM) - Union internationale motonautique
  • Racquetball (IRF) - International Racquetball Federation
  • Roller Sports (FIRS) - International Roller Sports Federation
  • Softball (ISF) - International Softball Federation
  • Sport Climbing (IFSC) - International Federation of Sport Climbing
  • Squash (WSF) - World Squash Federation
  • Sumo (IFS) - International Sumo Federation
  • Surfing (ISA) - International Surfing Association
  • Tug of War (TWIF) - Tug of War International Federation
  • Underwater Activities (CMAS) - Confédération mondiale des activités subaquatiques
  • Waterski & Wakeboard (IWWF) - International Waterski & Wakeboard Federation
  • Wushu (IWUF) - International Wushu Federation

Wrestling is back in:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-...-program-in-2020-in-tok/4944724?section=sport

Not sure it how it could ever be booted out TBH!

As a squash-head, it's disappointing not to see my fave sport never given a go. If they have to stick to their arbitrary '28 sports', then it should be bunched up as "racquet sports" with tennis, badminton and table tennis, and given a couple of singles events.

You can have 30 completely different events dedicated to sailing and kayaking, but can't squeeze some quality squash singles in alongside badminton? Moronic!

They simply miss out on some of the best athletes in the world like Ramy Ashour here:

Hmmm am not a fan of wrestling.
Stuff it I don't have anything nice to say so I won't post what I was going to say.

Why not? This is real wrestling, not that fabricated s**t that bearded pederasts like to fap over.

Wrestling is all fake. Anyone can do it. It's not really a sport. It's like arm wrestling or watching grass grow. It doesn't interest me.

The wrestling at the Olympics isn't fake, there's no microphones or "they took 'is jerb" there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrestling is back in:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-...-program-in-2020-in-tok/4944724?section=sport

Not sure it how it could ever be booted out TBH!

As a squash-head, it's disappointing not to see my fave sport never given a go. If they have to stick to their arbitrary '28 sports', then it should be bunched up as "racquet sports" with tennis, badminton and table tennis, and given a couple of singles events.

You can have 30 completely different events dedicated to sailing and kayaking, but can't squeeze some quality squash singles in alongside badminton? Moronic!

They simply miss out on some of the best athletes in the world like Ramy Ashour here:

Squash has very few friends at the IOC. The 114 or so members, many who are members because they are head of their sports eg FINA, IAAF, FIFA etc, just have no connection to squash so they don't vote for it. Squash will tough to get in but they will be in the running for post 2024 Olympics.

IOC Session approves 25 core sports for 2020 Games

08/09/2013 During its meeting at the 125th IOC Session currently taking place in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the full IOC membership today agreed on the 25 sports that will form the core for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. Tokyo was elected as the host city of the 2020 edition yesterday.
The 25 sports, as proposed by the IOC Executive Board (EB) in February, are: athletics, rowing, badminton, basketball, boxing, canoeing, cycling, equestrian, fencing, football, gymnastics, weightlifting, handball, hockey, judo, aquatics, modern pentathlon, taekwondo, tennis, table tennis, shooting, archery, triathlon, sailing and volleyball.

Wrestling, governed by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), will not be included on the list of core sports after Rio 2016, but, together with baseball/softball and squash, will vie for possible inclusion as an additional sport for the 2020 and 2024 editions of the Games in a second vote at around noon today. These three sports were shortlisted by the IOC EB in May to be put forward to the Session following an extensive evaluation by the Olympic Programme Commission.

In an effort to ensure the Olympic Games remain relevant to sports fans of all generations, the Olympic Programme Commission systematically reviews every sport following each edition of the Games.

Golf and rugby sevens were added in 2009 as additional sports to the 2016 and 2020 Olympic programme.
IOC Session approves 25 core sports for 2020 Games

And after the vote

Wrestling added to Olympic programme for 2020 and 2024 Games

08/09/2013
In the latest step in the process of evaluating and refining the Olympic Programme, the sport of wrestling was elected today as an additional sport for the Summer Olympic Games of 2020 and 2024.
The decision was made at the 125th Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Buenos Aires, Argentina, after the full membership of the IOC agreed on the 25 sports that will form the core for the 2020 Games, awarded yesterday to the city of Tokyo.
The Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) made a presentation to the Session, along with the International Federations of baseball/softball (WBSC) and squash (WSF), all shortlisted by the IOC Executive Board in May following an extensive evaluation by the Olympic Programme Commission. The IOC members voted for wrestling with a simple majority of votes cast in the first round.
“I would like to offer my congratulations to the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge. “Wrestling has shown great passion and resilience in the last few months. They have taken a number of steps to modernise and improve their sport, including the addition of more women and athletes in decision-making positions; rule changes to make the sport more exciting and easy to understand; and an increase in the number of women’s competitions. We are pleased with their reaction and happy to have wrestling on the Olympic programme in 2020 and 2024.”
In order to control the size, cost and complexity of the Games, the Olympic Programme was capped in 2002 at 28 sports, approximately 300 events and a target of 10,500 athletes. It was also decided that a systematic review of the Olympic Programme would be conducted after every edition of the Games to provide regular rejuvenation of the Games while maintaining continuity and consistency. The concept of a core group of 25 sports with a maximum of three additional sports was adopted in 2007, and two years later golf and rugby sevens were added to the programme of the Rio 2016 and the 2020 Olympic Games.
Results of vote:Wrestling: 49Baseball/ softball: 24Squash: 22

Wrestling added to Olympic programme for 2020 and 2024 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back