News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a big future at a high level.
Just how high will be determined by his kicking for goal.
Will he turn out to be a high impact, or high impact 20 plus goals per year player.

He's just turned 19, 15 games into his career and yet he has no problem standing under the high ball or running back without knowing what's behind him to take a mark. His courage is unreal for someone at this stage of their career.

Jonas gave Xavier a big rap in his podcast today

Tom Jonas says signing Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma to contract extensions is a giant coup for his football club while pouring praise on wingman Duursma who he says is an unsung hero at Alberton.

Jonas said a lot of Duursma’s work might have gone unnoticed to the outsider but was highly valued internally. “There’s a lot of stuff that you don’t see with Xavier that adds a heap of value to our team, he’s doing a lot more away from the ball than what you might see on the stats sheet,” he said.

“His running capacity, he’s always down tidying up the defenders if we have to press forward he’s picking up our opponents, he’s really good like that. “He prides himself on his distance covered, early in the year he was number one in the AFL so he has a look every week and makes sure he stays up there. “It’s incredible, some blokes spend five or six years building themselves up to be a good AFL player and they can come in and do it straight away, it’s nice to have that high talent and you see it excel.”

Off topic but it is good to see Freo learn a bit about humility after their umpire-protected Hey look at us, we're Big Balls Billy display against Port.

The Walters impersonation of X-Man was especially annoying given his lanolin soothed triple hand job.

Dashing wingman Xavier Duursma is already among the best in the AFL in one key metric, just 15 games into his career
He is only 15 games into his career but exciting Port rookie Xavier Duursma is already among the best in the AFL for one key metric. In just his first season the No. 18 draft pick from country Victoria is already among the best in the competition for distance travelled in games, averaging nearly 15km per match and a best effort of 17.37km, quickly running his way into fan favourite status among the Power faithful.

“I think running has always been one of my strengths but I didn’t know or couldn’t really expect to do that much or be ranked that highly in my debut season,” Duursma told The Advertiser. “I have worked very hard on my running.”

He inspired that Manguru Fredrick goal against Westies.
A rising star nominee in April, Duursma has also caught the eye for his bow and arrow celebration after kicking goals — something that formed a 19th birthday present from Martin Frederick in Port’s SANFL game on Sunday.
“It was my birthday on Sunday and he (Frederick) messaged me for my birthday and said I will do your celebration when I kick a goal and he kicked one of the best goals I have seen in a long time and did my celebration,” Duursma said. “It was very nice.

And some on here will be even more impressed with him.
The bow and arrow celebration isn’t the only thing that sets Duursma apart from other AFL players, in addition to his strong dance background the gun rookie has a massive love for all things Star Wars. “I am a massive fan, that is a big passion of mine,” he said. “I have a massive collection of Star Wars stuff and half of it is still in Victoria.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BEFORE he was shooting arrows into the MCG sky on his AFL debut ... and was in the top echelon of runners in the League ... and was a 19-year-old kid with 15 AFL games under his belt (but looked as assured as a 150-game veteran) ... Xavier Duursma was going through hell.

Port Adelaide's annual pre-season camp, this time held on the Sunshine Coast in December last year, was a week he will never forget.

"Try and prove your mental toughness as well as your physical toughness.

"The whole week was about that."
Duursma – who this week signed a two-year extension with the Power until the end of 2022 - came out the other side with a better appreciation of his new teammates.

"It was bloody hard work, but it was good fun," he said.

I simply do not understand his being ommitted....is he being rested?

Wasn't paying absolute attention whilst driving out of a busy car park in the rain but I think I heard Jarrad Schofield say on 5AA about who was out "of course Duursma" being omitted, something about being managed after a knock in the showdown. Later on 5AA there was talk about a corky. Will have to re-listen on the podcast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back