Yassmin abdel magid

Remove this Banner Ad

One does not have to agree with an opinion to defend an individual's right to it. The people who are so quick to defend Leak & Pickering's rights were silent when Yassmin expressed hers.

I'd imagine because Leak and Pickering were the subject of potential legal cases against them. I don't think anyone suggested any sort of legal argument against Yassmin. If they did it wasn't taken seriously (and rightly so).

Telling someone their argument is s**t is not an assault on freedom of speech. Using the law to seek some sort of penalty is.

I'd imagine because Leak and Pickering were the subject of potential legal cases against them. I don't think anyone suggested any sort of legal argument against Yassmin. If they did it wasn't taken seriously (and rightly so).

Telling someone their argument is s**t is not an assault on freedom of speech. Using the law to seek some sort of penalty is.
How about wanting people to be fired? The "fit in or * off" crew?

This is what was written in the OP and repeated one way or another throughout this thread, on social media, etc.:

If the ABC doesn't fire her for her anti Anzac comments then they have less balls than sky/Murdoch and need intervention in their management.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...t/news-story/40123cfe7b0d7fb93ed7536aaf9f7824

If this disgrace loathes aust so much and hates getting given refugee status then she can simply **** off back to her birth country Sudan.

This is the hypocrite who was incensed and outraged over Jacqui lambie's comments on Islam and sharia.

It is a disgrace that the ABC gives vile liberal filth like this cow a platform to promote her junk and hateful comments.

How about wanting people to be fired? The "fit in or **** off" crew?

This is what was written in the OP and repeated one way or another throughout this thread, on social media, etc.:

If the ABC doesn't fire her for her anti Anzac comments then they have less balls than sky/Murdoch and need intervention in their management.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...t/news-story/40123cfe7b0d7fb93ed7536aaf9f7824

If this disgrace loathes aust so much and hates getting given refugee status then she can simply **** off back to her birth country Sudan.

This is the hypocrite who was incensed and outraged over Jacqui lambie's comments on Islam and sharia.

It is a disgrace that the ABC gives vile liberal filth like this cow a platform to promote her junk and hateful comments.

I wouldn't call that an attack on her right to say what she wants. All commonwealth public servants have restrictions on what they can say publicly, extending that to ABC employees is an opinion that is open to anyone. You think ABC employees should be able to say whatever they want and have no bearing on their employment? Virtually no employee in Australia has that sort of freedom, that doesn't mean it's an attack on free speech. Employers are entitled to protect their interests to a point.

How about wanting people to be fired? The "fit in or **** off" crew?

I've got no problem with her right to say what she wants to. I equally then have the right to make comments such as these in response to her comments.

I've got no problem with her right to say what she wants to. I equally then have the right to make comments such as these in response to her comments.
So what you couldn't do was mount any sort of cogent argument about her comments. What you could do was get outraged, attack her personally and call for her to be silenced. Well done you!

I wouldn't call that an attack on her right to say what she wants. All commonwealth public servants have restrictions on what they can say publicly, extending that to ABC employees is an opinion that is open to anyone. You think ABC employees should be able to say whatever they want and have no bearing on their employment? Virtually no employee in Australia has that sort of freedom, that doesn't mean it's an attack on free speech. Employers are entitled to protect their interests to a point.
Of course you wouldn't Rob. It was a perfectly reasonable and balanced argument in response to her comments wasn't it?

Of course you wouldn't Rob. It was a perfectly reasonable and balanced argument in response to her comments wasn't it?

Of course not, but whoever said it was well within their rights to do so. I didn't read any threats of violence or anything like that (I can't read the article you quoted due to the paywall).

You seem to have trouble grasping the idea that you can disagree with someone whilst still supporting their right to hold the opinion. Yassmin can say what she wants and likewise people can give it back. I support the right of both sides to have that freedom. Within reason of course.

So what you couldn't do was mount any sort of cogent argument about her comments. What you could do was get outraged, attack her personally and call for her to be silenced. Well done you!
Here's a cogent argument for ya. Her comments were antagonistic and intended to incite others by making such comment and using the language that she used on Anzac day.

Here's a cogent argument for ya. Her comments were antagonistic and intended to incite others by making such comment and using the language that she used on Anzac day.
I see. I understand your position but don't agree, but then I'm not generally into jingoism. Can you explain to me why the subversion of the ANZAC tradition to acknowledge a situation that's occurring on our border causes you so much angst?

Why couldn't you have written this in the OP rather than an ad hominem attack on Ms Magied?

I see. I understand your position but don't agree, but then I'm not generally into jingoism. Can you explain to me why the subversion of the ANZAC tradition to acknowledge a situation that's occurring on our border causes you so much angst?

Why couldn't you have written this in the OP rather than an ad hominem attack on Ms Magied?
Because she is usi ng or rather exploiting the deaths of people who fought in the war to make a cheap and nasty political point. She deserved to be attacked and criticised in the same way she attacks others who don't hold the same views as het.

Because she is usi ng or rather exploiting the deaths of people who fought in the war to make a cheap and nasty political point. She deserved to be attacked and criticised in the same way she attacks others who don't hold the same views as het.
How was she exploiting anyone's death?

Can you provide evidence of her attacking and criticizing others in the manner of your first post in this thread?

How was she exploiting anyone's death?

Can you provide evidence of her attacking and criticizing others in the manner of your first post in this thread?
Lest we forget is a term associated directly with the deaths of those at war. When she used it this was done not to refer to war.

I think saying things like Australia's got their hate on is a grand example of her criticism of Australia and Australians for disagreeing with her position.

right, I'd call it bullying and intimidation...disagree?

fwiw, ANZAC day is a total crock of s**t and I agree with what she said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lest we forget is a term associated directly with the deaths of those at war. When she used it this was done not to refer to war.

I think saying things like Australia's got their hate on is a grand example of her criticism of Australia and Australians for disagreeing with her position.

driven up the Hume lately? Lest We Forget is on a toilet stop every ex amount of Km's with a VC recipient named for it...yeah, we're doing well, we name "Toilet Stops" after those who gave their lives.

right, I'd call it bullying and intimidation...disagree?

"vile liberal filth like this cow" is pushing it. Otherwise no, I don't see any bullying or initimidation in the quoted part. It's just a poorly worded rebuttal.

fwiw, ANZAC day is a total crock of s**t and I agree with what she said.

Fair enough, I don't really understand the outrage about it either. She says a lot worse on her twitter account most weeks. She posted some rubbish about whiteness being a political ideology the other day. It's basically full of offensive racist crap. Fascinating to read though.

So she used one of your 'sacred cows' to make a political point.

Where do you stand with regard to Charlie Hebdo? Bill Leak? Larry Pickering? Are you comfortable with what they say and how they say it? Did you #jesuischarlie ?

Of course not, but whoever said it was well within their rights to do so. I didn't read any threats of violence or anything like that (I can't read the article you quoted due to the paywall).

You seem to have trouble grasping the idea that you can disagree with someone whilst still supporting their right to hold the opinion. Yassmin can say what she wants and likewise people can give it back. I support the right of both sides to have that freedom. Within reason of course.
I understand the concept of free speech just fine, thanks Rob. You don't need to read the article. The OP, the first 50 posts and a plethora of social media commentary will be all you need to validate the hypocrisy.

Disagreeing with someone's point of view and expressing an opposing view is perfectly reasonable and acceptable. That's not what happened with Ms Magied. She was attacked ad hominem, threatened, etc. until she felt that she had no option to leave Australia. Now when those things happened with other people who hold somewhat controversial opinions and express them in an inflammatory manner the freedom of speech warriors spring to their defence. They did not defend Ms Magied. So do they care about freedom of speech, or do they care about the rights of the people they agree with? You can't have it both ways.

I understand the concept of free speech just fine, thanks Rob. You don't need to read the article. The OP, the first 50 posts and a plethora of social media commentary will be all you need to validate the hypocrisy.

Disagreeing with someone's point of view and expressing an opposing view is perfectly reasonable and acceptable. That's not what happened with Ms Magied. She was attacked ad hominem, threatened, etc. until she felt that she had no option to leave Australia. Now when those things happened with other people who hold somewhat controversial opinions and express them in an inflammatory manner the freedom of speech warriors spring to their defence. They did not defend Ms Magied. So do they care about freedom of speech, or do they care about the rights of the people they agree with? You can't have it both ways.
Actually as someone who has no problem with people's rights to express their points of view, I have no issue with Yassmin making such comments. What I do have an issue with is people like you who are willing to come and tell others that they have no right to be critical of her for making insensitive or stupid comments and that the way people reacted to them was inappropriate and unjust.

Tony Abbott has been attacked in the identical manner to Yassmin Abdel-Magid by Yassmin's allies on the left for making comments they see as stupid (Clementine Ford is an excellent example) yet hasn't seen the need to leave Aus nor has complained that 'Australia has gotten it's hate on.' Yet hypocrites like you, Yassmin, Ford et al all think it is OK for certain people to speak their mind, yet be free from the subsequent criticism is ludicrous. People like you fail to recognise that you have the right to say something, however this doesn't make you immune from criticism or negative reactions even if you don't like the premise of these reactions.

Actually as someone who has no problem with people's rights to express their points of view, I have no issue with Yassmin making such comments. What I do have an issue with is people like you who are willing to come and tell others that they have no right to be critical of her for making insensitive or stupid comments and that the way people reacted to them was inappropriate and unjust.

Tony Abbott has been attacked in the identical manner to Yassmin Abdel-Magid by Yassmin's allies on the left for making comments they see as stupid (Clementine Ford is an excellent example) yet hasn't seen the need to leave Aus nor has complained that 'Australia has gotten it's hate on.' Yet hypocrites like you, Yassmin, Ford et al all think it is OK for certain people to speak their mind, yet be free from the subsequent criticism is ludicrous. People like you fail to recognise that you have the right to say something, however this doesn't make you immune from criticism or negative reactions even if you don't like the premise of these reactions.
Then why do you piss and moan when people point out your racist and bigoted comments?

I think the OP actually invalidates this entire post mate. You had a massive problem with it without ever challenging the argument, so maybe try again?

What you have a problem with is being called out for it, and that's ok. Next you'll throw some hollow epithets my way...

And you can do all your rah rah anzac stuff. Knock yourselves out.

The point was criticism of her is fine. The issue was racist sludge, including prominent dog whistling politicians, essentially told her to * off back to her country if she doesnt like it. It was a clear statement that non-whites can't deviate from the politically correct anzac narrative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back