Yoga

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Does anyone on here practice it?

I have been doing it once a week for about six months now. The main reason I started was to help with my breathing, balance and flexibility. Our instructor uses a mixture of styles, but predominantly hatha yoga, I feel quite energised immediately after the class, but often get lethargic/tired the next day (though it doesn't last). It's been really helpful in uncluttering the mind, I have been using it in conjunction with mindfulness breathing/meditation as a treatment for mild anxiety.

Share your experiences/tips here!

I've been doing it for a couple of months now. Got a few DVDs and I just do it at home in the mornings, anywhere from 3 to 6 days a week. They're only about 25 minute sessions though.

Usually get up, have a coffee, then do yoga before breakfast. Like you're saying I find it energizes me and gets me going in the morning. Always feel nice and calm afterwards too.

Physically speaking I mainly do it for flexibility benefits. Helps get any stiff and sore muscles moving after the night before's weights too.

I've read that for advanced lifters yoga can actually decrease your deadlift. Don't know if that's broscience bullshit or not and don't really care - I'd rather be flexible and deadlift less anyway.

I think it's slowly helping me with with my squat technique. There's a lot of hamstring stretching work in the yoga I do.

It's hard to say without knowing your medical history and existing fitness level - I guess you can always give it a go, if you are new, they say to go at your own pace, and if the stretches or poses are too strong, to just stop and rest, don't let ambition get in the way, as it's your own practice. Good luck!

it's actually the opposite

you lower back is tight from a tilted pelvis (anteriorly) which actually lengthens the hamstrings but the "feel" tight when they aren't

it's a little hard without seeing him but you want to try and restore some lordotic curve which deads can do but maybe he needs to start them from mid shin/knee ht instead of the floor

plenty of single leg for him too with and hip thrusts variations

see how he squats and if he can do it safely then start him off with goblet squats in a safe range of motion (no lumbar flexion at the bottom) as well as hip flexor core work (leg raises) again progressing slowly

I often have trouble with squats as my previous knee problems (tendinitis) feel like they are flaring up when I try and go below parallel. Would it be worth me just going as low as comfortable until I can get where I need to be. My knee issues have almost disappeared since I started properly training my legs.

I use leg press, ham curls and leg extensions but really would like to doing squat and deads as my compound movements and leave the others for high rep isos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your gym has Body Balance it's a really good stretching program as well. I've found it helps me feel less tired and tight, and it just sets you up after a hard week. Basically anything where people know how to stretch safely. Stretching with poor form is an easy way to blow your knees/back.

Coincidentally just caught up for coffee with a mate who was talking about Kundalini yoga. His flatmate is a former (reformed!) lawyer turned yoga instructor. Breathing is really important since it brings you back into the present moment. Essential in today's crazy world where we are constantly being bombarded with information. Even now if I am feeling stressed I take 5-10 minutes to do some breathing exercises to restore that awareness of the present.

Coincidentally just caught up for coffee with a mate who was talking about Kundalini yoga. His flatmate is a former (reformed!) lawyer turned yoga instructor. Breathing is really important since it brings you back into the present moment. Essential in today's crazy world where we are constantly being bombarded with information. Even now if I am feeling stressed I take 5-10 minutes to do some breathing exercises to restore that awareness of the present.

Good work rwfan :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back