Your favourite gym exercise

Remove this Banner Ad

120 for 12 reps! god dam man you must be a beast. I'm to ashamed to say how much i bench.....70:(
nothing wrong with that! i don't worry too much about how much i can lift; i find if i'm focusing too much on that my form can suffer a little. 120x12 is insane, but (and not saying this guy does it) i know people that can lift a lot of weight on the bench, but their form isn't great; they either don't lower it right to their chest, they swing through reps, or they use their shoulders/tris a lot so their chest isn't getting everything it could be out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nothing wrong with that! i don't worry too much about how much i can lift; i find if i'm focusing too much on that my form can suffer a little. 120x12 is insane, but (and not saying this guy does it) i know people that can lift a lot of weight on the bench, but their form isn't great; they either don't lower it right to their chest, they swing through reps, or they use their shoulders/tris a lot so their chest isn't getting everything it could be out of it.

What this man says is correct. There's a lot of blokes who love figuratively waving their dicks around in gyms to compare size but you get a better result with lighter weights with perfect form, as long as the weight is enough to fatigue you at the end of the workout.

I'd look more at % of body weight. So what if one bloke can push 120kg on the bench? If he's 6'6" of course he's going to push more than a smaller bloke. I'm impressed by anyone who can do < their body weight on the bench. Even better is degree of difficulty, how about someone who can press decent weights while laying on a fitball?

Bicep curls

Cable cross-overs

Decline Bench

Shrugs

PS, 120kgx12, remind me to s**t myself if i see you in a dark alley!

Deadlifts for me - although gripping it can be a bitch.
yeah, i find my wrists aren't strong enough to keep up with the rest of my body for deads and shrugs. i would use straps, but i figure that would only result in my wrists lagging even further behind.

nar bro i go quick but its jus better for giving me X-plosive power. i was doing 120x12 wen i was bulking tho. now i do 107.5x12 coz ive shredded heaps of weight n lost strength. im 6 fooot 4 and weigh 99kg.

Lateral raises.
Cable cross-overs.
Calf raises.
Tricep pushdown.

I ****ing hate anything biceps with a passion.

There's a skinny asian guy at my gym who has awful form on the bench - he loads it up with 70 kgs, and lowers it up and down about 6 inches, tops. It's really quite ridiculous - when lowered, the bar wouldn't even be within a foot of his chest. He's been stuck on 70 kgs for over 18 months - hasn't made any progress. I want to say something to him, but I also don't want to be one of those idiots who always tries to interfere with advice when you don't want it :eek:.

What this man says is correct. There's a lot of blokes who love figuratively waving their dicks around in gyms to compare size but you get a better result with lighter weights with perfect form, as long as the weight is enough to fatigue you at the end of the workout.

I'd look more at % of body weight. So what if one bloke can push 120kg on the bench? If he's 6'6" of course he's going to push more than a smaller bloke. I'm impressed by anyone who can do < their body weight on the bench. Even better is degree of difficulty, how about someone who can press decent weights while laying on a fitball?

I agree 100% with the first paragraph. The second I disagree with.

The amount one can lift/press as a percentage of body weight, IMO, has some relevance to achievement, but I think it's overstated a fair bit. I've never really understood the 'pound-for-pound' argument. It's always seemed like a bit of a way to make littler guys feel better about themselves. To me, super heavyweights are the only ones that matter....

Let's say I'm 6'3" and weigh 100 kgs. Let's say I also bench 110 kgs fairly comfortably. That means I bench just over 100% of my body weight for reps. Now take a guys who's 80 kgs - he benches sets of 95 kgs. This means his bodyweight-to-strength ratio is better than mine. But is that really relevant? I mean, I am stronger than him. A pound-for-pound explanation is just an excuse. It's raw strength that matters to me. You put a middleweight boxer against a heavyweight and you'll quickly see how irrelevant pound-for-pound is.

It's much harder for larger men to get a strength-to-weight ratio that compares to little men.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back