80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
What are you guys thinking on leaving the pin in on putts? My initial thought was for long putts I would have Alex leave it in. After watching some of the Champions event and Bryson--I am thinking for Alex it might be good idea to leave in from 10 feet out and further. My thought on that is it might better help him focus on dead center of hole.

He hasn't had a chance to play outside yet and to putt, so no idea how it translates in real life. Some practical issues that jump out to me is that every course has different quality sticks, some are leaning, etc.. I would imagine you need to take in consideration the winds as well if they are gusting.

Have any of you fellas been experimenting and if so, your thoughts?

What are you guys thinking on leaving the pin in on putts? My initial thought was for long putts I would have Alex leave it in. After watching some of the Champions event and Bryson--I am thinking for Alex it might be good idea to leave in from 10 feet out and further. My thought on that is it might better help him focus on dead center of hole.

He hasn't had a chance to play outside yet and to putt, so no idea how it translates in real life. Some practical issues that jump out to me is that every course has different quality sticks, some are leaning, etc.. I would imagine you need to take in consideration the winds as well if they are gusting.

I’m happy with this rule change. It never made sense that you should have to remove the pin when putting. How many of us don’t remove the pin when we play a social round by ourselves? Especially when we have a long putt.
The one rule change I don’t like is the OB option of a two shot penalty but only in single stroke events.

Good idea about focussing assistance. School of thought that it reduces the size of the hole, which it does, and may divert the ball from the hole once hit. But really, at our level, or any, in or out we can hit and miss.

Played at The national (long island course) last week and we always took the pin out. perhaps old habits. But yeah.

I agree with Lebbo73 in that during social rounds we leave the stick in. So makes sense during comp. It gives us the player options, golf is about options

I’m happy with this rule change. It never made sense that you should have to remove the pin when putting. How many of us don’t remove the pin when we play a social round by ourselves? Especially when we have a long putt.
The one rule change I don’t like is the OB option of a two shot penalty but only in single stroke events.

I was thinking it would actually be advantageous to leave it in for 10-15 footers, if only because you may not be inclined to leave them short if you think you have a bit of a backstop in a way.

Yes OB is a bit of a change isn't it

Started out in July playing golf as a way to exercise a little more, drops some kgs ect. Was incredibly bad, missed the ball on a tee, didn't understand how Irons worked, wedges ect. Slow improvement overtime, had three months off, put on 15 kegs, started playing weekly from October onward, fell in love with Golf. Haven't missed a round since. Although I miss hit, chunk alot of balls, I am getting much much better. My slice is ******* painful and killing my game ( any tips would be great )

Played at Albert Park this arvo, walked 18, shot under 100 for the first time ever. Birdied a par 5, was incredibly happy.
Maybe you could try slowing your swing down. Especially the backswing. If you're trying to belt the ball of the tee you'll probably finding yourself playing off your back foot alot. I had this problem and find that slowing my backswing down helped me identify and adjust to other problems as well.

I believe the OOB rule is an optional local rule which each club has the option of applying or not. I know a lot of clubs are opting not to add this. I actually don't know if my local club is or isnt yet though.

As for the flag rule. I like it but you're still going to get flogs who slow the round down by insisting that they put the flag back in for putts etc. I'll happily put with the flag in if its going to speed things up but once the flag is out, it should stay out IMO. Unless of course someone is still off the green.

I believe the OOB rule is an optional local rule which each club has the option of applying or not. I know a lot of clubs are opting not to add this. I actually don't know if my local club is or isnt yet though.

As for the flag rule. I like it but you're still going to get flogs who slow the round down by insisting that they put the flag back in for putts etc. I'll happily put with the flag in if its going to speed things up but once the flag is out, it should stay out IMO. Unless of course someone is still off the green.
City Golf Club in Toowoomba where I’m a member have implemented the OB rule. The same club that believes it’s serious about speeding up play but has a max of 4hr30m policy for stableford and 4hr45m for stroke ffs.

City Golf Club in Toowoomba where I’m a member have implemented the OB rule. The same club that believes it’s serious about speeding up play but has a max of 4hr30m policy for stableford and 4hr45m for stroke ffs.

* that!!! how the hell does this happen??? at national (which is hilly, long, windy) 4.10 is the standard.

To be honest I don't think the OOB rule should slow play should it? I reckon it's designed for people (arseholes) who are too proud to hit a provisional. Then saves them going all the way back to the tee in a stroke rounds once they succumb to not finding it.

Our group of 4 got around in around 3 and a half hours on Saturday with handicaps ranging from 12 to 30. The last group to come in was out there for about 5 hours. Our Saturday comps are usually shotgun starts as well as we're a tiny club so to be almost an hour and a half behind the groups in is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm spending a few nights down in Warrnambool next week so hoping to find the time to get out to Port Fairy GC which I've heard so many great things about

So if you compare Port Fairy to Warnambool

Port Fairy 10/10
Warrnambool 5/10 at best

Port Fairy is Victoria's absolute best kept secret of a golf course, take the drive - it's stunning

I'm spending a few nights down in Warrnambool next week so hoping to find the time to get out to Port Fairy GC which I've heard so many great things about

Spending weekend down at cape schanck. Rounds at Peninsula or National on Saturday, rounds at National definitely Sunday

Shot 54 off the stick at Thornbury today. Just started off. How does this stack up? Its a 9 hole par 35. Thanks guys

Shot 54 off the stick at Thornbury today. Just started off. How does this stack up? Its a 9 hole par 35. Thanks guys
When you're shooting scores like that the most important thing is making sure you enjoy yourself out on the course and being able to walk off the course each time thinking you've improved in at least one aspect of the game and thinking where your next improvements are coming from.

I know when I got addicted to the game, I watched a whole bunch of youtube videos then taking that knowledge to the course/range and seeing what does and doesnt work for me.

This is the best advice video you'll probably watch when it comes to chipping

When you're shooting scores like that the most important thing is making sure you enjoy yourself out on the course and being able to walk off the course each time thinking you've improved in at least one aspect of the game and thinking where your next improvements are coming from.

I know when I got addicted to the game, I watched a whole bunch of youtube videos then taking that knowledge to the course/range and seeing what does and doesnt work for me.

This is the best advice video you'll probably watch when it comes to chipping

My chipper is like a putter, chip and run?

I have almost got it down pat when hitting my irons, seem to be hitting them flush 5/10 times which is amazing considering I started in October. Driving is my biggest issue.

Long shot, anyone wanna have a round on Saturday afternoon at Albert Park? Finish work at 2pm.

Horrible round today at The National old course. Started off on fire, well if 17 points is fire. Ended with low 20s. Hard when you lose the swing and all coordination lol.

3 more rounds this weekend to get it right!

Moonah course tomorrow morning
Sunday Old course in the morning, then Moonah in the arvo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back