80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
I’ll be able to add something meaningful to this thread for the first time since Anzac Day last year, as I’m heading out tomorrow! Will be windy; will be ugly

Social 9 holes at Oakleigh last evening. 2 pars, 1 birdie, 5 bogies and a double. Longer irons...didn't really middle them. Chipping poor (fluffed one, fast becoming a problem area for me). Putting was good without much dropping. Far out it was busy...best bit was playing a few extra holes in the almost dark! Company was good. :laughing:
Don’t talk about chipping. It has gotten to the diabolical stage for me. I putt or punch an iron if I can get away with it.
It all started back in 2005 when my girls were born. Back then I used to be one of the best in the club at chipping around the greens. No matter the lie I would always get up and down. Obviously, I stopped practicing and playing and the chipping deteriorated. Over the years I got worse and now my confidence is completely shot.
It also doesn’t help that my hands are unsteady from a genetic condition called an Essential Tremor to the Brain. It isn’t harmful but my hands tremor slightly and it gets worse from nerves and as I get older. Caffeine is a no no but I love cappuccinos and the occasional coke.
All of this said, I mainly suffer from the yips when chipping. A combination of the above has shot my confidence on the course. I practice sometimes at home and strike them beautifully. Hopefully when the girls finish school at the end of 2023 I can spend more time practicing using pressure routines to fix this. That’s if I have time as I also want to concentrate on my cricket so I can play Over 50’s rep stuff.

Don’t talk about chipping. It has gotten to the diabolical stage for me. I putt or punch an iron if I can get away with it.
It all started back in 2005 when my girls were born. Back then I used to be one of the best in the club at chipping around the greens. No matter the lie I would always get up and down. Obviously, I stopped practicing and playing and the chipping deteriorated. Over the years I got worse and now my confidence is completely shot.
It also doesn’t help that my hands are unsteady from a genetic condition called an Essential Tremor to the Brain. It isn’t harmful but my hands tremor slightly and it gets worse from nerves and as I get older. Caffeine is a no no but I love cappuccinos and the occasional coke.
All of this said, I mainly suffer from the yips when chipping. A combination of the above has shot my confidence on the course. I practice sometimes at home and strike them beautifully. Hopefully when the girls finish school at the end of 2023 I can spend more time practicing using pressure routines to fix this. That’s if I have time as I also want to concentrate on my cricket so I can play Over 50’s rep stuff.
Yeah..maybe I got the chipping yips too. Actually have not considered that may be the case.

Very similar to you..I got down to 10 handicap...by with a very average swing being able to get somewhere close to the green in reg....being able to play a high soft chip and get around 5 foot from the hole. And bank on making one out of two putts. 10 was my limit until I got some lessons and learnt how to swing better.

I later went through a stage where I started chipping lower..off the back foot more..with a one long bounce then spin like crazy type of shot. I have lost that confidence for that more conventional type shot. Don't get me wrong..I can do it..play a bunker like shot with a 60 degree wedge Phil style...but not so much when it counts.

I noticed you said in a previous post (I think it was you) that you prefer fluffy lies..a bit of grass. I am the same..as long as its a bit firm underneath. I seriously think I might start putting when I can.

I think a bad putt will be always a lot better than a bad chip for me (and for most golfers actually) atm.

Yeah..maybe I got the chipping yips too. Actually have not considered that may be the case.

Very similar to you..I got down to 10 handicap...by with a very average swing being able to get somewhere close to the green in reg....being able to play a high soft chip and get around 5 foot from the hole. And bank on making one out of two putts. 10 was my limit until I got some lessons and learnt how to swing better.

I later went through a stage where I started chipping lower..off the back foot more..with a one long bounce then spin like crazy type of shot. I have lost that confidence for that more conventional type shot. Don't get me wrong..I can do it..play a bunker like shot with a 60 degree wedge Phil style...but not so much when it counts.

I noticed you said in a previous post (I think it was you) that you prefer fluffy lies..a bit of grass. I am the same..as long as its a bit firm underneath. I seriously think I might start putting when I can.

I think a bad putt will be always a lot better than a bad chip for me (and for most golfers actually) atm.
Yeah, I can relate to most this post.
Talking about lies, by the end of winter I usually adjust my ball striking to cope with tight lies. I need to adjust quicker though.
Greens and course conditions are different in Victoria to ours aren’t they? Our greens and course quickens in winter. Isn’t it the opposite in Vic?

Yeah, I can relate to most this post.
Talking about lies, by the end of winter I usually adjust my ball striking to cope with tight lies. I need to adjust quicker though.
Greens and course conditions are different in Victoria to ours aren’t they? Our greens and course quickens in winter. Isn’t it the opposite in Vic?
Yes and no. Greens def quicker in summer down here as they can get dry and fast....but we have changed a lot (esp the public courses) as they are replacing the old grasses with couch over time (around the greens and faiways). The couch goes dormant in Winter...almost white and is quite a tight lie...but sometimes it is very wet underneath which I am struggling with. Our Sandbelt courses are way better that our non sandbelt courses over Winter...for sure. In about Oct the couch wakes up and there is more grass. Others might have different or better way to describe Winter conditions down here? I think I am rambling on a bit.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Greens def quicker in summer down here as they can get dry and fast....but we have changed a lot (esp the public courses) as they are replacing the old grasses with couch over time (around the greens and faiways). The couch goes dormant in Winter...almost white and is quite a tight lie...but sometimes it is very wet underneath which I am struggling with. Our Sandbelt courses are way better that our non sandbelt courses over Winter...for sure. In about Oct the couch wakes up and there is more grass. Others might have different or better way to describe Winter conditions down here? I think I am rambling on a bit.
I play mostly on Kikuyu grassed fairways. That stuff grabs the club like John Cena. However, when I do play on couch in summer across the border it is so much easier to hit fairway woods and irons off than kikuyu.

Last edited:
I play mostly on Kikuyu grassed fairways. That stuff grabs the club like John Cena. However, when I do play on couch in summer across the border it is so much easier to hit fairway woods and irons off than couch.
Yeah some of the poorer courses still have Kik down here (oakleigh where I hit yesterday does have it in areas)....and it can grab. Also (I mow lawns for a job) and it can grow like absolute stink in hot weather and rain!

160 odd par three today....driver. Yep. Wtf.

Ps. Moonah course at National.
I got laughed at at Barnbougle for pulling the driver out on a downhill 150m. Got the last laugh as my 2 mates sent their 7 irons up into the wind and watched their balls fly almost back over their heads while I punched one to the front fringe 🤣

I got laughed at at Barnbougle for pulling the driver out on a downhill 150m. Got the last laugh as my 2 mates sent their 7 irons up into the wind and watched their balls fly almost back over their heads while I punched one to the front fringe 🤣

I gave you a laughing emoji so you can give it to your mates. I laugh at those who laugh at others in this situation. haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decent and unusual round for me today (GWPGC). 11 over 79. 3 doubles and a triple. A birdie and a chip in for eagle helped a lot.

9 from 13 fairways was awesome and best I have done for ages. Not enough greens in reg though. One brain fart chip.

im sure its been discussed before, what's your handicap?
11 over suggests around 11 ?

im sure its been discussed before, what's your handicap?
11 over suggests around 11 ?
Don't have an official one atm. Lowest when I was at a club was 10....improved on that and would have been 7 or 8 at my best. Older now..in my 50s. Guessing between 11 and 14. Can have really good rounds and massive blow outs at times too. Giving it another crack to try and really improve...working on fitness and technique a lot.

Has anyone found putting with the flag in helped them? I started leaving it in about 6 months ago and feel it probably saves a couple of shots a round for me.
no difference per se. Think a handful of times has the ball hit the flag and flown off.

Junior golf restarted and little AC had quite the back nine, consisting of 2 bogies, 2 double bogies, 4 birdies and 1 eagle.

Birdie on 18 gave him his age groups win.

Seems to sum up 2020 so far 63F8C2DE-D125-463A-B8F9-707DFC1E82FA.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back