80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Went out for a cheeky 9 this evening with the brother at La Trobe. Played the back 9. Was +4 going into 17 and 18 probably playing the best golf I've played and was excited for the 17th as its a nice shortish par 4 with water being a hazard to the left which shouldn't be an issue with the way I was playing.
Can confirm the water became an issue......twice. Long live this beautiful game

Sounds an awesome trip.

How do the King Island courses compare to those at Barnbougle? If you've played there obviously.
Cape Wickham is comparable to the quality of either Barnbougle or Loft Farm. It's superb - albeit a little view centric.

Ocean Dunes is not in the same league. Some good stuff around the front 9 but the back 9 is a death march with a series of terribly routed holes up and around a huge dune. Also some long green to tee walks and endless blind approaches. The 18th is a ripper though. Long dramatic par 4 into an amphitheatre greensite.

Both courses are impossible for the poor player. It's fine to have wide fairways but as soon as you miss one it's effectively OOB each time.

Coincidentally I'm off to Barnbougle tomorrow for 4 days. Weather looking absolutely atrocious!

I'm guessing a great big yes.....mowing lawns today my backpack blower was useless at points pushing into the gale from the south.
Must have looked outside at the wrong time as nothing was moving. Got home and played 18 and there was a decent breeze most of the time

Annoyingly the 3 par 5s where the wind was helping i made a mess of all the drives when a decent drive would have given me a chance to go for the green in 2

Cape Wickham is comparable to the quality of either Barnbougle or Loft Farm. It's superb - albeit a little view centric.

Ocean Dunes is not in the same league. Some good stuff around the front 9 but the back 9 is a death march with a series of terribly routed holes up and around a huge dune. Also some long green to tee walks and endless blind approaches. The 18th is a ripper though. Long dramatic par 4 into an amphitheatre greensite.

Both courses are impossible for the poor player. It's fine to have wide fairways but as soon as you miss one it's effectively OOB each time.

Coincidentally I'm off to Barnbougle tomorrow for 4 days. Weather looking absolutely atrocious!
Had a mate going to barny this weekend, was very jealous!

Will be going to Barny one weekend. Been waiting for the new par 3 course to open. Heard late March for that and it should correspond to cheaper winter green fees I hope. In the meantime, I am on a quest to shot under 100 at a proper 18 golf course. Have score 49 on the back 9 at Kingston Beach twice. Ended both times at 106. Its just the damn 9th hole which is killing any hope. It is a par 5 with a u shape pond about 150-125M away from green. Every single time, I end up in the water. Only time I have avoided the water on the hole was when I went up the 17th fairway and bypassed it. Not an ideal solution. It not even that hard. I just find myself drawn to the water and hit into it in new and creative ways.

Been a bit of exciting golf news down here. It has been on the works for nearly a decade but they finally planning and building Matt Goggins new golf course down at 7 Mile Beach in Hobart. It is being designed and built by some of the guys (Mike Clayton and Mike DeVries) who did Barny and Cape Wickham. It should be grand. That site is basically large pine trees around large sand dunes near a beach, very close to Hobart International Airport. Perfect for links golf.

Will be going to Barny one weekend. Been waiting for the new par 3 course to open. Heard late March for that and it should correspond to cheaper winter green fees I hope. In the meantime, I am on a quest to shot under 100 at a proper 18 golf course. Have score 49 on the back 9 at Kingston Beach twice. Ended both times at 106. Its just the damn 9th hole which is killing any hope. It is a par 5 with a u shape pond about 150-125M away from green. Every single time, I end up in the water. Only time I have avoided the water on the hole was when I went up the 17th fairway and bypassed it. Not an ideal solution. It not even that hard. I just find myself drawn to the water and hit into it in new and creative ways.

Been a bit of exciting golf news down here. It has been on the works for nearly a decade but they finally planning and building Matt Goggins new golf course down at 7 Mile Beach in Hobart. It is being designed and built by some of the guys (Mike Clayton and Mike DeVries) who did Barny and Cape Wickham. It should be grand. That site is basically large pine trees around large sand dunes near a beach, very close to Hobart International Airport. Perfect for links golf.

It's the perfect place for a golf course and I reckon every golfer in Hobart has always thought so. A bit of local knowledge is that the weather is always better in 7 Mile Beach than in town. Royal is about 5 mins away and we generally always have good conditions to play in. That particular spot will get the wind off of the bay. I dare say there's no land between that spot and Antarctica, a lost penguin came ashore a few years ago there. It'll get the north and east winds too, it's quite exposed. It's the strip of land you land over at the airport if you've come in off the bay.
It'll be a dry, fast and windy course. A real challenge as golf should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing at Commonwealth tomorrow with a mate whos a member. Twilight golf 4 BBB Stableford. Should be a fun hitout if the weather doesn't ruin it. Never played there before So I'm looking forward to it

Playing at Commonwealth tomorrow with a mate whos a member. Twilight golf 4 BBB Stableford. Should be a fun hitout if the weather doesn't ruin it. Never played there before So I'm looking forward to it
Oh man...make sure you have an umbrella, wet weather gear, a couple of bath towels in your bag and about 3 gloves.....maybe flippers an a snorkel as well. Radar looking terrible. I actually don't mind the rain as long as you can keep your gear relatively dry. Hopefully the worst has passed for you in the evening.

Youre in for a wet one. Hopefully its all gone by then.

106 first time around Brighton today. Long game was great, struck them well. Short game terrible, I literally 5 putted one hole hahaha.

Next lesson is 100% going to be around the greens and putting. I'm also convinced my putter doesn't suit my stance/build/stroke. I have to make way too many compensations with it to get it set nicely.

It's an okay course, nothing special, reckon you are paying for the "Brighton" name because its not great value compared to a heap of comparable courses that are far cheaper. $37 each for 18 holes at 4pm tee time.... I've played better courses at unlimited twilight from 3pm for $20 each.

Last edited:
106 first time around Brighton today. Long game was great, struck them well. Short game terrible, I literally 5 putted one hole hahaha.

Next lesson is 100% going to be around the greens and putting. I'm also convinced my putter doesn't suit my stance/build/stroke. I have to make way too many compensations with it to get it set nicely.

It's an okay course, nothing special, reckon you are paying for the "Brighton" name because its not great value compared to a heap of comparable courses that are far cheaper. $37 each for 18 holes at 4pm tee time.... I've played better courses at unlimited twilight from 3pm for $20 each.

Interesting to hear. A group of mates and I recently bought Lively Platinum cards which gives you 5 rounds at Ivanhoe, Brighton and a few others for $100. Definitely a worthwhile deal.

we’re keen to get onto Brighton but it’s been so busy Saturday mornings it’s tricky to get on.

maybe check out lively if you’re close to Brighton but think it’s a bit pricey (Ivanhoe’s a bit much too I reckon)

Interesting to hear. A group of mates and I recently bought Lively Platinum cards which gives you 5 rounds at Ivanhoe, Brighton and a few others for $100. Definitely a worthwhile deal.

we’re keen to get onto Brighton but it’s been so busy Saturday mornings it’s tricky to get on.

maybe check out lively if you’re close to Brighton but think it’s a bit pricey (Ivanhoe’s a bit much too I reckon)

Thanks thats a good deal.
So you pay for the Lively Platinum then the additional $99 for 5 rounds? Its a good deal in the golf rounds, what's the Lively card do I dont really understand?

Thanks thats a good deal.
So you pay for the Lively Platinum then the additional $99 for 5 rounds? Its a good deal in the golf rounds, what's the Lively card do I dont really understand?

No it’s just $99 flat for sign up and the five rounds. You don’t get any of the other benefits like handicap etc. that you’d get in a full membership.

The only frustrating thing is you can’t book online with them, so you’ve got to ring through and book your rounds. You’ve got six months to use it up but it’s a no brainer if you play at least one of those courses semi-regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back