You're a champ China | BigFooty
  1. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

You're a champ China

Discussion in 'International Footy' started by fishmonger, Jun 29, 2006.

1. fishmonger

fishmonger Premiership Player

Other Teams:
    Grassroots Footy
    Great article.

I never even realised Chinese players had done so well at footy ...

hope the Demons stuff in Taijin goes well, we may see some more :thumbsu:

---------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. D/MoN

D/MoN Senior List

Les Fong, what a champ for the Cardinals/Falcons back in the day.

Here's something from left field for the international footy crew: I used to live in lovely Broome (WA) -- met my missuss there, too :).

Now, Broome's a very multi-cultural town with a rich history of racial tolerance. It's Oriental influence is quite extensive. Many locals have mixed ancestory with a combination of Aboriginal, European, Japanese, Indonesian parents, grandparents, etc -- makes for some beautiful women (see quote on missuss above ;) ).

Anyway, many current, local footy players have surnames that would not be out of place in countries to our north. However, most wouldn't be able to trace their surnames to where they originated from. Still, the tangible results of this can somehow be used to promote the game in these regions.

Like I said, left field thinking...

3. Rooster

Rooster Senior List

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Singapore Wombats
    I am the Greatest Chinese Footy Player ever.

I lived in China for a year, I established the China Blues and I am engaged to a beautiful Beijing girl....

... surely I qualify !!!

OK - if you insist on Chinese heritage - I reckon: Wirrapunda or The Wizard.

In the last 60,000 years - people from the area now known as China have been interacting with others from all over South East Asia (trade & breeding) and sea-farers from Sulawesi have been visiting Northern Australia in their prows and interacting with Aborigines in the North (again trade & breeding). Actually - that is probably accurate for 5000 years... during much of the last 60000 years - sea-faring was not necessary as walking was adequate.

Now considering the 5 or so iceages in the last 60000 years - (not sure of my history - but it only seems logical) - there have been waves of people from the North and South of Australia migrating in either direction - from Darwin & Hobart - in 10000 year cycles - and of course... interacting !!!

... so how much Chinese blood is required to qualify ???

How about we get realistic and consider the following criteria:

To qualify as the Greatest Chinese player ever... you have to actually be Chinese (crazy I know)... ie: somebody from China.

Born in Zhejiang province in far north west China to (funnily enough) Chinese parents (in turn with their own Chinese parents) was the greatest Chinese footballer of all time... a hard, fast and ferocious on baller with silky skills and a fearless attacking game to match.

You will now find Jiaming Pi running around in the Southern Districts league - and I suggest you get out for a look if you want to make any comments on just who is the greatest Chinese player of all time.

4. JP the Chinaman

JP the Chinaman Senior List

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Brooklyn Nets
    Thank you very much big bad Rooster...I think Aussie Rules has came a long way since the days when I first migrated to this magnificent land with my parents. The junior years when I couldn't speak much English running around in the Dandenong and Districts Junior Football League playing this "GuiLao"s game, it was a different story...many games I ended up having a bit of a sook on my own after the match cos I was laughed at or abused or even spat on...these days playing in the Victorian Amatures Football Association, where every team has a mixture of nationalities, it is never a question of where you are from or what your parents are but if you have a heart to play the game or not...I think this reflects the way this country has changed its attitute towards Football players that are none "mainstream" Australian, I think we believe that our great game should become a world sport...

5. scottydeewah

scottydeewah Club Legend

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    New England Patriots
    maybe they spat at you cause you are a collingwood supporter? :p

Seriously though its brilliant to hear that you are seeing a different attitude now. I have often though that for migrants activities like football should be encouraged to help them assimilate and feel apart of the community. I play football over in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> and am thinking of going to <st1:country-region w:st="on">Japan</st1:country-region> or <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">China</st1:place></st1:country-region> very soon. If I do I will go straight away to find the nearest AFL club to join. If I cant find one though I will go straight to the nearest sporting club that I think I can have a go at. Why, so I can meet some locals and have a bit of fun, outside the professional leagues it is just as much about the relationships you form as anything else.

Brilliant. [FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

6. Rooster

Rooster Senior List

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Singapore Wombats
    Make that Xinjiang Province... (ie: extreme North West China) which is (funnily enough) the same place where the Gobi Desert AFL was operating a few years back.

7. coxon

coxon Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Essendon
    fishmonger... thanks for that great article... :thumbsu:

never knew about the history of such players...

i'm australian born with chinese parents... and grew up in country victoria... i'm ashamed that i hadn't heard of a single name in that article...

cheers to you all ~

8. JP the Chinaman

JP the Chinaman Senior List

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Brooklyn Nets
    Scott, you are right on the coin our man...sport is a way to communicate to people even if language is a problem, samething in Germany, training rubgy with the locals made my German better by the day...it forces you to mix with the locals...Although I don't think the migration minister will make playing footy a compalsary thing, but I definitely will encourage migrant kids to go and have a dip and tell the parents that what don't kill your kids will only make them stronger...my parents were just as worried when I first started playing, but they know that this will build my character...so yeah...to all of those kids out there wanting to have a go but think that this is an "Aussie" game...its all BS...have a dip, it's a fun game, it's a great game...it's the best game!!!

I don't about the Spitting on Collingwood Supporter bit tho...hahaha..

Roster..you're a good man.