power#1

Debutant
Sep 22, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty P.A.F.C.
I am doing a assignment at school and i would like to know how you think Australian youth culture has changed through the following decades.
70's
80's
90's

more americanised? what rot

anyone hear of elvis? there were more quiffs in the 60s than you could poke a stick at!

how many pubs had bat out of hell replaced once a week in the juke box, because it was getting worn!

American movies, american TV shows, american music, american books have dominated Australian culture from the 50s onwards.

heck every house built between 1945 and 1960 was a californian bungalow.

just because howard is a sycophant and bush a murdering psychopath, doesn't mean american culture is bad.

more people know American rights when arrested, that australian rights, some think the american constitution applies here! they know the american presidents better than their own PMs.

Doesnt' mean we don't have our own culture, Australia has the tradition bush image, which hasn't been a reality for anything like 10% of the population since the depression, but it is something we all embrace, we have greek, italian, vietnamese, chinese, lebanese etc plus our own city styles.

Anyone who says we are becoming more american, couldn't possibly remember what the 60s was like.

even the holden is a GM company.

I think Australian youth culture has developed more of it's own identity. We've always had a big exposure to American culture. But in the early 70's, it was a very bland white-rinse culture, there were very few Aussie films, very few original music acts and food culture was non-existant. This drove people like Germaine Greer out of the country to seek new inspirations. Since, youth culture has become a lot more cosmopolitan and sophisticated with greater exposure to ethnicicity and the breakdown of the tyrrany of distance.

70's- They smoke weed
80's- They smoke weed
90's- They smoke weed

Just making the point the more things change, the more they stay the same.

70's- Listen to Thorpey
80's- Listen to AC\DC
90's- Listen to Powderfinger

70's - thinks no one understands their generation, and everyones out to get them

80's - thinks no one understands their generation, and everyones out to get them

90's - thinks no one understands their generation, and everyones out to get them

One thing might be that Youth Culture is older now. People are more likely to go on to University, more likely to live with their parents into their mid-20s, less likely to marry and have kids. Turning 18 and 21 used to be a big deal, but now it is pretty much more of the same for plenty of people.

Other than that I would guess that the youth life now is less active (eg sport) and more media-intensive (eg Pay-TV and Internet).

Originally posted by dan warna
more americanised? what rot

anyone hear of elvis? there were more quiffs in the 60s than you could poke a stick at!

how many pubs had bat out of hell replaced once a week in the juke box, because it was getting worn!

American movies, american TV shows, american music, american books have dominated Australian culture from the 50s onwards.

heck every house built between 1945 and 1960 was a californian bungalow.

just because howard is a sycophant and bush a murdering psychopath, doesn't mean american culture is bad.

more people know American rights when arrested, that australian rights, some think the american constitution applies here! they know the american presidents better than their own PMs.

Doesnt' mean we don't have our own culture, Australia has the tradition bush image, which hasn't been a reality for anything like 10% of the population since the depression, but it is something we all embrace, we have greek, italian, vietnamese, chinese, lebanese etc plus our own city styles.

Anyone who says we are becoming more american, couldn't possibly remember what the 60s was like.

even the holden is a GM company.

That's a fairly good serve of verbal diarrhoea if ever I've read one. Why don't you just make an intelligent comment in relation to the original question asked instead of responding to mick ryans views.

Australian 'Youth Culture' is not very Americanised in my opinion - having travelled there recently. There are certainly elements - but, in general, Australian kids are far more globally aware, far more sensitive to others needs and definately more polite and firendly.

Originally posted by ComicStoreGuy
70's- They smoke weed
80's- They smoke weed
90's- They smoke weed

Just making the point the more things change, the more they stay the same.

70's- Listen to Thorpey
80's- Listen to AC\DC
90's- Listen to Powderfinger

00's - they pop pills
00's - they listen to R & B.

Makes me yearn for ComicStoreGuy's observations!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back