Australia will grow to like Tony Abbott as PM

Remove this Banner Ad

In plain English this means?

The only Turnbull fans here are either ALP supporters or simple folk. Which are you?

And Tony has achieved what?

1.I advocate. ;)

2. I said...'Was'....I quickly moved on when I saw grechgate. I think you'll find its not just me who has liked him or considered him over the years. Even the media report the other day jokingly said that Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull should start their own political party for the popular politicians who arn't leading their current partys. Both are liked out there by the masses at some point. People are simple, I agree.

3. Tone has made us conservatives politically competitive, he has healed the divide between moderate and right in the coalition to make them more electorally pleasing. He led the party to an election where alot of the seats lost in '07 were gained back to the party. He has been disciplined and focussed. He can't legislate at the moment in opposition and the airway has been all about KRUDD and Julia of late so he all he can do is make his political points and wait for the policy debate to begin again. Julia Gillard is no fool, I dont like her but she has some credibility. She is a tough opponent and Abbott could have been fooled into not knowing how to handle her. He has succeeded on keeping the pressure up. Thats what he has achieved.

She's clearly a fan (duh), but what's your issue with her post?

I don't think there's ever been a gobbie-as-post for any Labor leader like that.

I suspect her post will get the replies it deserves.

Doubt it. In fact, reflecting over the ~20 posts since, not at all.

And people think this forum is dominated by leftists :)

Comparing this modern ALP to Keating has made me spew into my keyboard. PM me to tell me where to forward the invoice for a new Mac keyboard.

Thanks.

I said 'almost'. Paul Keating could legislate and do some good. He made the tough decisions and he was a better leader than Rudd and Gillard put together. However look at what the focus has been on since the ALP has been in government (reconcilliation, climate change, leadership battles, mining taxes) and then look at what Keating was focussed on (Asia, reconcilliation,microeconomic reforms, making Australia a republic). All of these issues and focus points are things that the average Australian couldn't really give two hoots about (potentially the carbon tax and climate change would be one that you could argue that is important). None of them effected your average home owner and working family much and by the end of Keatings era people felt he just didnt connect with them anymore. I see the pattern establishing and I can see a conservative bloke in Tony Abbott, who doesn't 'think big', being elected just because people connect with him more at a grass roots level.

1.I advocate. ;)

Piss weak response.

You quickly raise a contact and then refused to explain that. Many here have more balls than that explaining what they do.

2. I said...'Was'....I quickly moved on when I saw grechgate. I think you'll find its not just me who has liked him or considered him over the years. Even the media report the other day jokingly said that Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull should start their own political party for the popular politicians who arn't leading their current partys. Both are liked out there by the masses at some point. People are simple, I agree.

I don't know where you live or what circles you mix in, but Sydney business regards Turnbull as an utter ****. They also ask why the key players in HIH went to gaol, while their Goldman Sachs adviser did not.

3. Tone has made us conservatives politically competitive, he has healed the divide between moderate and right in the coalition to make them more electorally pleasing. He led the party to an election where alot of the seats lost in '07 were gained back to the party. He has been disciplined and focussed. He can't legislate at the moment in opposition and the airway has been all about KRUDD and Julia of late so he all he can do is make his political points and wait for the policy debate to begin again. Julia Gillard is no fool, I dont like her but she has some credibility. She is a tough opponent and Abbott could have been fooled into not knowing how to handle her. He has succeeded on keeping the pressure up. Thats what he has achieved.

No one would dispute Abbott has done well but few here would get stiff in the trousers like that post.

2. Mirrabella is mirrabella. I think we need to see more of all the coalition shadow ministers before we judge.

Belinda Neal was right about a devil being in there.

And what about this right wing bitch?

5932738865_0303ec659b.jpg

I can't believe I'm reading this:confused:

The idea of people actually looking forward to an Abott led Coalition Government truly beggars belief. What will we get? more of the dysfunctional, negative governance that we endured under Howard: Overwhelming negativity, unwavering support for big business (without consideration for it's impact on social welfare), a total lack of aspiration, politicising of human suffering, a general lack of forward thinking progressive policy, and unwavering belief in the sanctity of property

I've met Tony, and he personifies what is wrong with our federal political system.....he's a nice bloke (albeit naive) who is far, far out of his depth. We need far higher quality people to consider political careers if we are going to see a departure from the awful governance, and often worse opposition that we have experienced in recent history.

It really scares me just how politically naive some people are....

Julia hasn't given out all the presents yet from the Mining Tax and the Carbon TAx yet... Xmas is in July is around the Corner.... Abbots popularity will be Judged on how many he will take back. If he goes into the next election saying he will drop these taxes he will lose.... Labour will have had enough time to show that the these " Big bad taxes" are purely a distrubutuion of wealth.. and the middle class will hold onto every cent.

Julia hasn't given out all the presents yet from the Mining Tax and the Carbon TAx yet... Xmas is in July is around the Corner.... Abbots popularity will be Judged on how many he will take back. If he goes into the next election saying he will drop these taxes he will lose.... Labour will have had enough time to show that the these " Big bad taxes" are purely a distrubutuion of wealth.. and the middle class will hold onto every cent.
I guess you mean 'presents' like these ones.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/carbon-tax-hits-ratepayers/story-fn7x8me2-1226285681426

HOUSEHOLDS face big rate rises, with the federal carbon tax and other state levies to hit local council budgets.

Ratepayers could be slugged up to 3 per cent extra because of the carbon tax.

And councils claim the planned new fire services levy could lift some rates up to 30 per cent in coming years.

Trust me, this is only the start of it.

I have no issue with Abbott but if he ever wants to be PM he has to give Peta Credlin and her toxic hubby Brian Loughnane the lemon and sarse. They are like Rudd's advisers who ****ed it up. The aim of politics is to "win" the news cycle and crush your enemies.

This is not Abbott's natural way of thinking - which owes a lot to the NSW Catholic Right when it used to believe in social justice. He needs sensible advisers that want to do something rather than just win.

On the issue of Tone being naive - its just a function of him never having a real job. That can be fixed by the correct advisers. He seems like a good bloke who is actually interested in people. The irony is that Gillard can intellectually buy and sell him three times over - I cannot for the life of me understand why she is such a bad performer in the top job

Credlin is the reason why he is not popular

I have no issue with Abbott but if he ever wants to be PM he has to give Peta Credlin and her toxic hubby Brian Loughnane the lemon and sarse. They are like Rudd's advisers who ****ed it up. The aim of politics is to "win" the news cycle and crush your enemies.

This is not Abbott's natural way of thinking - which owes a lot to the NSW Catholic Right when it used to believe in social justice. He needs sensible advisers that want to do something rather than just win.

Credlin is the reason why he is not popular

Compared to Gillards advisers, they are like George Stephanopoulos and James Carville !!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compared to Gillards advisers, they are like George Stephanopoulos and James Carville !!!!!

Credlin makes jokes about poor people - all the time. She is a shocking snob and a non talent. She hates Labor and unionist with a fetishistic passion - I can understand a little bit of contempt but visceral hatred...this is not the stuff that makes the "vision thing". So she is exactly the same as Gillard's advisers only with a nasty patina

The lack of restraint she shows in Parliament is indicative of her personality. Albo called her up on it because he was sick of her totally unjustifiable interjections

Seeing as this thread is meant to be an Abbott love fest i shall in respect to the op refrain from listing all the points that i believe makes him a right wing nutter who freezes at the first curly question when put under the spotlight (i shall not mention his jet lag episode or his psycho dumbstruck get-me-outa-here interview with a C7 reporter) so besides his three tier mantra of "stop the boats from the north & turn them back, stop the carbon tax & stop the anything else that Labor puts up what the heck does this guy really have to offer if he became PM?

Oh & by the by have a look at his front bench at least half of them are older than me & i'm in the ancient bracket.

At least Tone can ride a bike.

Seeing as this thread is meant to be an Abbott love fest i shall in respect to the op refrain from listing all the points that i believe makes him a right wing nutter who freezes at the first curly question when put under the spotlight (i shall not mention his jet lag episode or his psycho dumbstruck get-me-outa-here interview with a C7 reporter) so besides his three tier mantra of "stop the boats from the north & turn them back, stop the carbon tax & stop the anything else that Labor puts up what the heck does this guy really have to offer if he became PM?

Well that's not exactly true is it?
But I guess if you repeat a lie often enough, you can start to believe it.

And can I ask why you believe he's a right wing nutter?
Or is this another case of repeating something often enough that it becomes true.

Well that's not exactly true is it?
But I guess if you repeat a lie often enough, you can start to believe it.

And can I ask why you believe he's a right wing nutter?
Or is this another case of repeating something often enough that it becomes true.

Quite simple really he's a right wing politician & in my opinion a nutter but i don't expect that you would agree with me, if he ever becomes PM of this country & by all accounts that looks very likely we shall see just how much of a misunderstood person he really is.

From day one I also thought Rudd was a nutter so i am not prejudiced in this.

Quite simple really he's a right wing politician & in my opinion a nutter but i don't expect that you would agree with me, if he ever becomes PM of this country & by all accounts that looks very likely we shall see just how much of a misunderstood person he really is.

From day one I also thought Rudd was a nutter so i am not prejudiced in this.

Right - good to see you've thought your opinion through then. :rolleyes:

That's what happens when you refuse to follow the flock, try it sometime. :rolleyes:

Huh. :confused:

You've got a fairly strong opinion of Abbott here in that he is a 'right-wing nutter'

But when pressed for an explanation none is forthcoming. Instead we get some New Idea/Womans Day nonsense of "I just don't like him."

Why is he a right-wing nutter?
Is it because he goes to church?:confused:
Or is it because he likes to exercise? :confused:

Its not only you by the way, I am constantly amazed at these people who have such a strong negative opinion of Abbott but can't for the life of them, explain why.

Huh. :confused:

You've got a fairly strong opinion of Abbott here in that he is a 'right-wing nutter'

But when pressed for an explanation none is forthcoming. Instead we get some New Idea/Womans Day nonsense of "I just don't like him."

Why is he a right-wing nutter?
Is it because he goes to church?:confused:
Or is it because he likes to exercise? :confused:

Its not only you by the way, I am constantly amazed at these people who have such a strong negative opinion of Abbott but can't for the life of them, explain why.

I don't really want to de-rail this thread but what was your impression of Abbott's performance when ambushed by a C7 reporter in regards to his comment of "shit happens" in relation to fatalities in Afghanistan.

I don't really want to de-rail this thread but what was your impression of Abbott's performance when ambushed by a C7 reporter in regards to his comment of "shit happens" in relation to fatalities in Afghanistan.

It was a stupid question which got the contempt it deserved.

Surely you are not seriously basing your opinion of Abbott on that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back