Not open for further replies.

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Token American sports team
Yer I know what you mean and was thinking the same thing. For example Ward, could have increased due to more opportunity and he is just improving and not because of the captaincy, but just found it interesting and wanted to share with you guys :)

I think the main factor specifically for young players that gets supercoach players excited moreso than captaincy is positional changes, specifically young players who have been given a run either in the backs or forwards who then build up their tanks/power and move into midfield. With teams getting massive numbers around the stoppages these days, players that can improve their disposal count but also win the hard ball consistently are gold. Patrick Dangerfield is a perfect example of this kind of player, a player who only last season was thrown into a more permanent midfield role, a power athlete who can win the hard ball and clearances despite not having premium disposal skills. Whilst disposal efficiency in supercoach is still an important factor, I think players that have a high contested possession count are more important these days due to the contested nature of the game today. I don't think it is a coincidence that purely outside players like Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo and the like are becoming irrelevant these days, a midfielder needs to win his own ball aswell as be able to use it properly in the clear. Therefore, I think looking for players who will play more in the midfield and can win their own ball is something that should be given high priority.

I think what makes Ablett such a lethal supercoach player is not only his ability to consistently win the hard ball, but also his elite disposal skills under pressure and in the clear, not many players have the ability to be elite in both aspects of the game, although Cotchin imo has that potential (although is not as powerful as Ablett).

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only early days and will change a million times but some names I will be considering.

Brendon Goddard, Beau Waters, Bryce Gibbs, Greg Broughton, Michael Hurley, Chris Yarran, Nathan Bock
Tom Curran, Brent Staker

Gary Ablett jnr, Chris Judd, Dale Thomas, Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Jaeger O'Meara
Alex Woodward, Jack Viney

Todd Goldstein, Matthew Leuenberger
Majak Daw, Luke Lowden

Lance Franklin, Harley Bennell, Dustin Martin, David Zaharakis, Travis Cloke, Mark LeCras, Travis Varcoe
Tom Lee, Spencer White

Thank You FanFooty.

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I would seriously doubt that VS will leave O'Meara at $100k, biggest lock of the year. Backs and Forwards have a few tasty mid-pricers and a dearth of real premiums.

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Initially reading your squad, thought to myself- no way can you afford a line-up like that!

Turns out, wow, you can.

Watch out on Hodgy though, already looking likely to miss the start of next season.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hodge-may-start-late-finish-strong-20121110-2956e.html

Yeah but I'm holding out hope he comes back better than ever and is just itching to play some footy and that rest him so he is right for September thinking goes straight out the window.

tigerfan11

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
The guys to look for imo, are Dustin Martin as m/f, Dale Thomas as m/f, Zaharakis as m/f, Stevie J as m/f, Gibbs d, Yarran d.

Locked in starting mids at this ridiculously early point, Ablett, Pendles, Kennedy, Selwood.

Luke Ball would be an ok choice if he was 350k, but even then I would probably steer clear.

Will be interesting to see if any of Fyfe, Dangerfield, Beams, Sidebottom get to keep their m/f positioning. If any of them do then they should be locks too.

I am going for a very basic defence next year, putting in guys like Howard/Conca/Yarran in my team. Guys who are likely to average 70-80 but are good for a game every week. There are just too many poor scoring defenders these days with the way the game is played, its not worth overspending on guys like Waters/Scotland/Suckling. Probably Birchall and Goddard the only two you would confidently say have a good chance of hitting a 100 average. Shaw and Enright pretty reliable but don't look to be going up in averages.

Am assuming you think Deledio won't be in defence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tigerfan11

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
No chance, but he would be in every team if he was still listed as mid/def.

I now think Broughton at GC is a pretty good def selection too. Wouldn't imagine he would be overly pricey.

I agree.

Have always liked the way Broughton goes about it and suspect his stocks will rise. Teddy Richards should score way better than he does for his interception work! def keeping an eye on docherty.

Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Just playing the devils advocate here, but- even taking out a few of the M/F's who are likely to lose their F status this year, Bartel wouldn't have been a top7 forward this year.

As a player, the wrong side of 30, who may be scoring less midfield time next year, in a team well known to rest their players- perhaps lock is a little strong of a term?

Regardless though, definitely need to strongly consider him.

TheOz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Just playing the devils advocate here, but- even taking out a few of the M/F's who are likely to lose their F status this year, Bartel wouldn't have been a top7 forward this year.

As a player, the wrong side of 30, who may be scoring less midfield time next year, in a team well known to rest their players- perhaps lock is a little strong of a term?

According to fanfooty, Bartel is the 6th highest average scorer from last season available as a fwd.

Franklin, Lance F 16 115.5 19 110.8
icon_rookie.gif
41.0 $613,500
Pavlich, Matthew F 21 111.0 20 105.7
icon_rookie.gif
41.0 $589,600
Roughead, Jarryd R/F 20 103.7 11 101.5
icon_rookie.gif
41.0 $550,800
Walker, Taylor F 16 100.2 13 62.5
icon_rookie.gif
41.0 $532,200
Chapman, Paul C/F 20 100.1 20 101.2
icon_rookie.gif
32.5 $531,700
Bartel, Jimmy C/F 19 98.6 21 101.2
icon_rookie.gif
50.2 $523,700

Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I guess that all depends on who we think will lose their DPP from this year. :)

Beams*, Dangerfield*, Franklin, Pavlich, Sidebottom*, O'Keefe, Roughead, Walker, Zorko*, Chapman, Rioli, Bartel

*is my guess to lose it.

It's also assuming he doesn't continue his 5-season-long trend of going backwards in SC average.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Jimmy is only 28. He hasn't played midfield for two years now, and played 90% of last year with a broken foot. I'd expect him to average 99-103 next year playing half back & half forward.

Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Jimmy is only 28. He hasn't played midfield for two years now, and played 90% of last year with a broken foot. I'd expect him to average 99-103 next year playing half back & half forward.
ha- it's all amateur hour here isn't it- I read his birth date as 12/4/83, making him 30 next season. :) Turns out it's 4/12 and he'll be 29 :)

The foot though is a good point though, and he's still on a restricted training program yeah?

Did we ever find out when the foot happened? http://www.thecattery.com.au/InjuryList.php suggests it was why he missed round 7, but there wasn't really much of a change in his performances before or after it.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ha- it's all amateur hour here isn't it- I read his birth date as 12/4/83, making him 30 next season. :) Turns out it's 4/12 and he'll be 29 :)

The foot though is a good point though, and he's still on a restricted training program yeah?

Did we ever find out when the foot happened? http://www.thecattery.com.au/InjuryList.php suggests it was why he missed round 7, but there wasn't really much of a change in his performances before or after it.
Haha we all make mistakes ;).

Yeah Bartel is on a restricted program atm, you'd imagine he would be back into full training after christmas. At his level though I don't think an interrupted pre season will effect him too much.

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
I guess that all depends on who we think will lose their DPP from this year. :)

Beams*, Dangerfield*, Franklin, Pavlich, Sidebottom*, O'Keefe, Roughead, Walker, Zorko*, Chapman, Rioli, Bartel

*is my guess to lose it.

It's also assuming he doesn't continue his 5-season-long trend of going backwards in SC average.

O'Keefe will probably lose it too. Shame. He flies under the radar a bit and would be a lock for me if starting forward again considering those that are going to lose it. (Fyfe is going to lose his DPP as well?)

Dixon55

Rookie
Feb 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona, Chicago Bulls, NJ Devils
Do people think Lids and Heppell will lose their DPP? Is Goddard a chance to lose his DPP with all the talk of Hirdy moving him into the midfield? Who do people think are a chance to gain DPP this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back