Great moments in cinema

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if Bull Durham got much of a run in Australian cinemas but I was living in Canada in 1988 when I saw it, was a big baseball fan and this is probably my favourite sports movie of all time. It was Tim Robins first major movie role and he met Susan Sarandon on set and they spent the next 20 years together.

Very strong series of posts.

Jaws: When Richard Dreyfuss dives under the smashed boat at night and the head rolls out from the hole.
Alien: When the alien first appears in the gut busting... i'm free scene.
Blazing Saddles: Cowboys sitting around the fire at night and the farting starts... classic!

Just came across the 'The Fabulous Baker Boys' on Foxtel the other day in the 'Fox classics' listings. I didn't pay any attention to it back in the day but the movies shown in 'Fox classics' have tended to be OK. Thought the movie was great although to be fair I still have 30 min to go as Mrs Powerstufff's disappointed sighs when looking at Jeff Bridges and then at me were off-putting last night.
About an hour in there is a scene where Jack Baker (Jeff Bridges) is playing piano in front of an audience and their singer Susie Diamond (Michelle Pfeiffer) sings "Makin' Whoopie" in an incredibly sensual way. That segues a little later into them being by themselves and Jack touches her affectionately (initially) but it quickly ramps up into this super-hot massaging, stroking etc.
I have to say any guy who is sitting watching this with their girl and fails to score within 38 secs must be watching it at her parents' place, with her parents.
I'd forgotten Pfeiffer could act as her career sort of petered out in lesser films/roles from memory. But she received a deserved Oscar nomination for this one.
I can't find a decent YouTube clip so can only offer a slight glimpse from the image below, which is a hint of the sexuality involved. But when watching the movie it is representative of the trio's act (except the other brother is away that night) and you don't realise what is about to happen. Which is fair because neither do the characters.
fabulous%20baker%20boys%20whoopee.jpg

Whilst Invictus was based around the 1995 Rugby World Cup it wasn't a sports movie.

Mandela did what no other leader of the 20th century did - he won over his enemies. There are several scenes that set this up but this is the most stark.

Reconciliation starts here
Forgiveness starts here,
Forgiveness liberates the soul,
It removes fear,
That is why it is such a powerful weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i had some pretty swell feelings sitting in the cinema when Drive started.

the visuals and the music it all came together pretty sweetly and the chromatics tick of the clock music playing during the getaway scene was sweet. had my attention immediately.

yeah bresh that first ten minutes of Up is stunningly well done.

if you want to see a spectacular long take watch robert altmans The Player. i forget how long it goes for but its pretty brilliant in its idea and execution. basically establishes the exposition, premise and characters of the movie all in one sweep. goes for ages.

Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sword vs Gun

The bar scene in Near Dark

Just saw Skyfall, so no spoiler, but there is a scene where Bond and M are on the run and have to ditch M's car. When you see the scene you will know exactly what I mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back