Gillard's AWU/Wilson past about to haunt her?

Remove this Banner Ad

Albanese has called for Bishop to resign or for Abbott to sack her as Deputy. "Her position is untenable - making false accusations of criminal behaviour against a Prime Minister".

Either Bishop has 100% proof, was poorly advised, or is lying. I'm going with number two.

That's the other thing, if the Liberal party was 100% sure of this, Tony Abbott would be leading the attack front and centre. There could be no calls of misogyny in exposing a fraud.

My guess is that this is exactly the reason why Bishop is leading the attack. It would be too easy to deflect an Abbott-lead attack as yet more misogyny.

No, he wouldn't, he's not an idiot.

Turnbull never should've got involved in the Utegate thing, Abbott is smart enough to allow the others to do the heavy lifting on this one.

Albanese is a clown.
Bullshit, if he was 100% sure that a crime had been committed he would be leading the lynch mob. It would bring the government down, which he's been trying to do since the election. His greatest fear is facing the electorate as LOTO and will do anything to bring the government down before it reaches full term. It's dirty politics for sure, but Queensbury rules don't apply in a hung parliament.

If cours, the fact that one gave murdoch a hypothetical blowjob and the other didnt might have been relevant

Funnily enough, what I wrote about the Blair/Campbell playbook is pretty much what I think actually happened with Julia. eg: in her early 30s she meets this good looking charismatic guy on the way up to the top like she is and it's the perfect match. Soon they are spending all their leisure hours bonking, boozing and talking politics - union and Labor. One night they are talking about union re-election slush funds and the well established custom of shaking down the construction industry bosses for protection contributions and up comes the idea that Bruce and his sidekick mate Ralph open one for WA. Jules can do the legals, no worries. So in thrall is Jules and him that working caution goes out the window and she goes ahead. Its such a routine thing to do and its going to be pro bono so she doesn't bother opening a file.

Later on ...Bruce and Ralph come up with another bright idea that Bruce buy a house in Ralph's name, then Bruce rents it and Ralph negatively gears. Jules thinks this is good exploitation of capitalism, goes to the auction then arranges for S & G to do conveyancing and provide mortgage.

She has absolutely no idea at all that Bruce is funding all this from the Boss's shakedowns.

Later on 1995 ... when the s**t hits the fan, Bruce is finito and Jules has to end it, broken hearted though she is. On top of it all the rumours are rife that the boss's shakedowns have funded her renovations, which is not true. Then she has to endure the formal interview with a v angry S & G, after which she must clear her desk and take extended leave. She agonises about informing AWU about the assoc, but after all Bruce was technically her client and there's legal privilege. So she doesn't do it, and of all the greivous errors of judgement she made during that period, she can say that's one she particularly regrets today.

The only thing not covered in that nararative is the 5K in the bank account, but either it didn't happen, or if it did then it was remorse money from Bruce and she gave it back to him immediately.

And that's how I think it really went, fwiw.

My guess is that this is exactly the reason why Bishop is leading the attack. It would be too easy to deflect an Abbott-lead attack as yet more misogyny.

Nah, Julie really, really wants to do this and leadership team let her off leash after misogyny attack.

But I think Jules has maybe jumped the shark in her Duel with Jules. Be very funny if so, :D

Bullshit, if he was 100% sure that a crime had been committed he would be leading the lynch mob. It would bring the government down, which he's been trying to do since the election. His greatest fear is facing the electorate as LOTO and will do anything to bring the government down before it reaches full term. It's dirty politics for sure, but Queensbury rules don't apply in a hung parliament.

No, again, he'd be an idiot to do that; it's not his job, and it's nice to see he's finally smarten up enough to realise that.

The Leader of the Party should be above this kind of thing, keep his hands clean and try and present a Statesman-ly image - let the Soldiers fight the battle, not the General.

The Speaker is starting to crack down on the questions being asked to Gillard ruling them out of order.

No, again, he'd be an idiot to do that; it's not his job, and it's nice to see he's finally smarten up enough to realise that.

The Leader of the Party should be above this kind of thing, keep his hands clean and try and present a Statesman-ly image - let the Soldiers fight the battle, not the General.

Abbott - The Statesman.

Love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Speaker is starting to crack down on the questions being asked to Gillard ruling them out of order.

I have watched Parliament question time regularly for over 20 years. Burke has to be the most bias Speaker ever. Peter Slipper was actually reasonably fair and impartial.

No he wouldn't - because as others pointed out Gillard would just play the female card. As a succesful businesswoman it makes me sick to see this PM use gender to fend off criticism of her performance. I am a member of a monthly women in business club and even long time Labor voters say it is disgraceful.

Also nobody to date is alleging a crime has been committed by Gillard - as I understand that the allegation is either that she was professionally negligent, or acted in an unethical manner.

Of course if a letter does surface showing that she mislead the WA Authority in describing the nature of the slush fund then she is absolute toast. But if the letter was going to surface you would think it would have by now.

Now SG has released a press statement saying they had to drop both clients because of a clear conflict of interest.

And who caused said conflict? Would said conflict have gone undetected if a file was opened? Hmm the plot thickens and watch as this becomes more and more murky for the PM.

Oh and Windhover - puts paid to your "no conflict of interest" gripe. The conflict has been referred to in both major media outlets today and is gathering steam.

Just remember you heard it hear first!

Is it so hard for you to follow. Before Wilson was considered by his employer to be scum of the earth he was, as Secretary of the WA branch, considered by his employer (presumably) to be the best person for the job - at least a majority of members thought so because they elected him (or he stood unopposed). My simple contention is that at that time there was no apparent conflict of interest. I have yet to see anything penned by you that explains anything different.

After Wilson's employer discovered Wilson was not as wonderful as it might have hoped, guess what, there was then a clear conflict of interest.

In legal practice, acting for A might always lead to a conflict of interest with acting for B. That simple factum does not mean lawyers are restricted to one client. It does mean lawyers are required to be ever ready for the prospect for conflicts to arise and act accordingly when they do. This is precisely what SG did.

(So there is a good reason we heard it "first" from you. But I wouldn't go bragging about it.)

No he wouldn't - because as others pointed out Gillard would just play the female card. As a succesful businesswoman it makes me sick to see this PM use gender to fend off criticism of her performance. I am a member of a monthly women in business club and even long time Labor voters say it is disgraceful.

Also nobody to date is alleging a crime has been committed by Gillard - as I understand that the allegation is either that she was professionally negligent, or acted in an unethical manner.

Of course if a letter does surface showing that she mislead the WA Authority in describing the nature of the slush fund then she is absolute toast. But if the letter was going to surface you would think it would have by now.
Lol.
And all the long time Labour voters and females I know admired her stance and speech -so there you go-see how easy it is. Social networking response would suggest you are behind the times if that is your view.
Acting in an unethical manner= Bishop delaying payments to asbestos victims--truly a definition of the word.

Only this morning Bishop was on the attack saying that Gillard had directly benefited from the association's money.

Why won't she answer questions in the Chamber?

Is her next defence of this going to be in Woman's Day??

She has answered bugger all because she will be in contempt for misleading Parliament if she actually repeats her press conference dribble in Parliament. One more day for her this sitting, then I suspect Rudd or Shorten for Election 2013.

Just watched a press conference from Julie Bishop & all i can say is that she nearly lost a heel in her haste to escape the clutches of the media.

Don't be surprised if Tone now changes tack in the last two days of parliament for this year.

There could be no calls of misogyny in exposing a fraud.

She cried "mysogyny!" in defence of a mysogynist...!!

Using Bishop this way makes a lot of sense when you consider that Gillard will play the gender card if attacked or criticised which gives her immunity from Abbott and any other male. The Coalition are only working within the constraints that Gillard created. But the hypocrisy of Gillard defending herself from what she calls a smear campaign by smearing somebody else was typical Gillard. Yes Blewitt is a crook but there was a lawyer through the 90s who made his fraud activity possible. Gillard seems to conveniently forget that. In any event its a choice between an alleged liar and someone who betrayed the electorate. I'd prefer to believe Blewett. At least he hadn't betrayed me with a carbon tax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back