Australian humour

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Who do we target in this years draft?

Completely off-topic, but Kingswood County is the worst show I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Unfunny, sexist, racist crap.

you forgot self-mocking, which forgives some of its sins. speaking as a migrant, I found it pretty funny at the time (late 70s/early 80s) ok I was only 15 or so. OTOH the genius of norman gunston went right over my head :eek:

as for OP, Darling and/or bulletproof genuine midfielders. with gray, hartlett & sal on board, need to pick some real sound bodies for a while. not so worried about Prestia's short height as a few others seem to be but will he slide to 35 if say Darling is still available at 16 ? hard to pick.

Completely off-topic, but Kingswood County is the worst show I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Unfunny, sexist, racist crap.

I disagree. Kingswood Country is some of the funniest s**t I've ever seen because it's so politically incorrect by today's standards!

You know, one of those things that is so bad that it's good.

Like a 70's pr0n moustache! :thumbsu:

...Kingswood County is the worst show I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Unfunny, sexist, racist crap.
I disagree. Kingswood Country is some of the funniest s**t I've ever seen....
you forgot self-mocking, which forgives some of its sins.....

Unwatchably bad as a half-hour TV series. But the original skit version on the Naked Vicar Show (see example) was pretty good, and very popular.

Re: Port's drafting in recent years

Sounds like you blokes should never watch Graham Kennedy, especially when he was on In Melbourne Tonight. His Blankety Blanks was nothing more than a Benny Hill show with questions ... unwatchable, but the In Melbourne Tonight was pure genius.

It was taking the mickey out of racism. ;)

Ted comes across as an idiot while the son in law is portrayed as sensible and tolerant.

For it's time a very progressive show.

Re: Port's drafting in recent years

Sounds like you blokes should never watch Graham Kennedy, especially when he was on In Melbourne Tonight. His Blankety Blanks was nothing more than a Benny Hill show with questions ... unwatchable, but the In Melbourne Tonight was pure genius.

I LOVED Blankety Blanks ! And Benny Hill. I don't remember the original B&W In Melbourne Tonight (was that shown in Adelaide?) have seen some of the lunatic moments on retrospectives, but do remember and loved the much later, late night show he did with John Mangos (mid 80s?).

ok, that's my 100% pure OT post quota filled. apologies, no more from me !! :eek:

Pickle me Grandmother! Just went out for a minute to dryclean the fan belt and the whole thread's moved.

Well you're just wrong. :)

Ted Bullpitt is the one who is being made fun of. He's the one who represents bigotted attitudes therefore the show is having a go at bigotry.

...Ted Bullpitt is the one who is being made fun of. He's the one who represents bigotted attitudes therefore the show is having a go at bigotry.
The first show I am aware of to do this was 'Till Death Us Do Part' and arguably none has done it better. Very brave for its time and part comedy, part accurate depiction of how many people thought/acted.
But that's not what the Bullpit sketches were about anymore than Con the Fruiterer was about retailing. As I said earlier Ted Bullpit originated as a short sketch on The Naked Vicar, probably as far back as its radio days (I can't remember). It was amusing enough, and if like me you really had spent time trying to get your dad to lend you the Kingswood it was even better.
The actual sitcom version Kingswood Country was appalling. Why some stuff succeeds commercially is beyond me.

The first show I am aware of to do this was 'Till Death Us Do Part' and arguably none has done it better. Very brave for its time and part comedy, part accurate depiction of how many people thought/acted.

All in the Family starring Carroll O'Connor and Rob Reiner was similar to Kingswood Country too - the lovable bigot at odds with everyone else in his family and coming off looking like a world class toss as the central comedic device of the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All in the Family starring Carroll O'Connor and Rob Reiner was similar to Kingswood Country too.....
It was actually the American version of Till Death Us Do Part, one of a whole series of successful British comedies they knocked off at that time. One of the rare ones that made it.

Maybe. Admittedly I've only watched it a few times (because I couldn't stand to watch it any further), maybe it's just one of those things that you need to watch a lot to truly get it. I have no intention of finding out though.
TBH I wasn't a huge fan either. It was worth a few laughs from time to time but I only watched it if I was channel surfing and nothing much else was on.

This is a comment meandering off topic ... now I'm not dismissive of Australian comedy but how does Shaun Micaleff keep getting shows on TV? I just saw an ad for a new series with him and Kat Stewart on Channel 10 called Mr and Mrs Murder ... seriously, what is going on? Am I missing something? I remember way back to Shaun doing Footlights at Adelaide Uni and have never found him funny.

Oh Ford. Ford, Ford, Ford. You watch the Project, you sat through Cosi and George Kapinaris trying to be funny and you don't like Shaun Micallef. *shakes head*

Shaun Micallef is the only funny Australian on TV (since Tony Martin is technically a New Zealander).

To be fair I've watched The Project maybe 3 times, just bad timing I guess and I was trapped at the Cosi/Kapi thing. As for Shaun, that comment is a bit like boydman's leper with the most fingers argument right now. ;) I think his last effort where he tried to impersonate Jon Stewart sent him into the Vizard Zone for me.

Australian tv humour is crap these days - in the "good old days" of the 80's and 90's we had "Kingswood Country" (looks like that's been mentioned a few times already in this thread :)) , then some quality skit shows such as Fast Forward, Comedy Company, and the Late Show.

Back in the 70's we had Graham Kennedy's Blankety Blanks too which was good too.

of all the terrible comedians in australia to complain about, you come up with shaun micallef?

at the very worst, some of his recent projects haven't come off well in execution. but the micallef p(r)ogram(me) is the funniest australian tv show i've ever seen, and as far as i'm concerned he can make whatever he wants for as long as he wants as reward for that.

Australian attempts at comedy have always been terrible.

Have to disagree with that, The Naked Vicar Show, Aunty Jack, Mother & Son, Graham Kennedy, etc.

Australian attempts at comedy have always been terrible. And those panel shows, of all types, are just embarrassing. However you want to slice it, that "gag" is just pathetic and not even remotely funny. I wouldn't even pull that s**t out while watching TV with my friends. He, whoever he was, ran with that zinger on national television. Lame.

Bullshit we do plenty of good comedies in Oz. We do plenty of great sketch comedies but we don't do plenty of great sitcoms comedies. But we still do more than zero.

If you didn't watch Rake in either 2012 or 2010 you missed a great sitcom, so good Fox are going to copy it and make a US version.

http://mumbrella.com.au/us-version-of-rake-lands-at-fox-127226

Remove this Banner Ad

Back