Past #33: Mitch Wilkins - officially delisted by North Melbourne (31/10/14)

Remove this Banner Ad

Moves well, kicks well, nice movement in close. Plenty to work with.

Norwood's Coach Nathan Bassett had this to say about Mitch Wilkins in his post-draft blog:

I am sure there are plenty of supporters that have no idea who Mitch Wilkins is, the Norwood player that was selected at pick 47 by North Melbourne. I knew of Mitch but first noticed him in a trial game at 18’s level this year, and having a few injuries up higher he was selected for a reserves trial against Sturt.

At half back in our last trial he showed outstanding composure and made good decisions with the ball, grabbing the attention of the reserves coaches straight away. The next week though he was off on a school camp, played one more game at 18’s level and then it was back to school football.

Luckily I think for Mitch St. Peters and Bryan Beinke (football director at Saints, hope I got his title right) allowed Mitch to come back to Norwood and play 5 games at reserves level in an attempt to get selected for the state 18’s. Mitch went quite well until the 5th game when his shoulder popped out attempting a tackle, ending his season. Without the schools support I doubt Mitch would have been drafted and I would like to thank St. Peters for allowing him to play for us.

Mitch is 188cm (6’2 for the less metric), is a beautiful right foot kick and reminds me quite a bit of Corey Enright at Geelong. He weighs only 72kg so he won’t play senior football for a while but when he does he will fit in very well. Like every Norwood supporter I wish both Dean and Mitch all the best in their AFL careers and if it doesn’t work out there is always a home for them here; though in both of their cases I don’t think they’ll be back for a long time to come.

http://www.norwoodfc.com.au/News/LATESTNEWS/BASS__BLOG_OFF_SEASON.aspx

He sounds like a great get for the club, really looking forward to watching him develop over the years. Seems like another versitile player who can play half back and in the midfield which is great for the club!

Didn't Bryan Beinke try out with us a few years ago or say he was going to come to North? He was a solidly built full back, IIRC. He may have alerted us to Mitch's potential.

Edit: Wiki says he was a forward who played for Geelong and Adelaide.:oops:

Didn't Bryan Beinke try out with us a few years ago or say he was going to come to North? He was a solidly built full back, IIRC. He may have alerted us to Mitch's potential.

Edit: Wiki says he was a forward who played for Geelong and Adelaide.:oops:

Nah you were right, he was in our first unspectacular rookie intake. Remember seeing him run around in the ressies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stuff all pre-season and very minimal miles under his belt in the last 12 months. To acquit himself that well in 34 degree heat against bigger, more mature bodies is incredibly promising. Keep it up Wilko :thumbsu:

Played for North Ballarat yesterday before the senior clash against Geelong. Picked up 20 disposals at 100% efficiency. :eek: his teammates could learn a thing or two from him.

Suddenly very interested in his development. Could be the smokey of the 2012 Draft.

Do you have any other details on north ballarat seniors or reserves?

Nah you were right, he was in our first unspectacular rookie intake. Remember seeing him run around in the ressies.

IIRC he did us an unholy mischief at Footy Park one day in one of his few senior games for the Crows.

That video is nice to get a look at him but it doesn't tell us much. He was only under pressure in one or two of those passages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back