What the heck? Melbourne draftee Interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're underestimating some of these kids confidence. No doubt there are a lot of shy kids as you would expect, or guys who don't want to risk losing a spot.

But you also get the damn good players who know they will be picked up (matter of where in the draft, not if), have been told they are damn good since a young age, are intelligent, and are popular among their peers - these kids are up to their eyeballs in confidence and self-esteem and if some coach was rude to them/challenged them, they would go straight back. Brodie Grundy seems to be an example in this thread. These kids exist. Replying in kind is not necessarily being a dickhead.

Only if you're a gun and you KNOW you'll be picked up based on your talent and level of interest. Those on the fringe and 'hopeful' of being drafted wouldnt do it.

If you have played senior WAFL/SANFL footy and you're an U18

you know you'll get drafted

and if you make the U18s team of the year (champs)

Not always, you might be one of those shorter blokes, or slower blokes or whatever. Or Dayle Garlett.

Ross Lyon dumped Michael Barlow on his first day for pre-season training before the 2007 rookie draft when at St Kilda, for being 5 minutes late to his first session, and in pretty blunt terms too.

How the wheel turns............

Probably made his career

There was a bloke a few years back, dominated and I think won some medal for Vic Metro. But he was 170cm tall, never got a look in even though he was killing it in juniors.

There was a bloke a few years back, dominated and I think won some medal for Vic Metro. But he was 170cm tall, never got a look in even though he was killing it in juniors.

so not a player that played SANFL/WAFL as a U18 at all

Nelson is one that comes to mind but he wasn't destroying the comp

Marc Lock? I think was inaugural GC captain when they played VFL in 2010.

Didn't make the main list (or was delisted at the end of 2011).

Some guys just aren't up for the next level.

Cam Richardson is another guy - dominant at state level, struggled at AFL level.

Cam Richardson is another guy - dominant at state level, struggled at AFL level.

Not everyone can be a Dayne Zorko

Might have been.

It does happen to a lot of the shorter blokes unfortunately. Even just highly rated juniors who don't grow tall enough. Can't teach height and all that.

choko is a crazy old man and melbourne are losers, why would anyone emulate their practices?

I wonder if they screened jack watts in this way.

Andrew Hooper. Best known for doing the worm on the Dogs Hong Kong footy trip.

First player to make his AFL debut in finals since 1985. Kicked a goal too as we came back to beat Sydney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Hooper
Hooper began playing Australian rules football with Golden Point Football Club in the Ballarat Football League.[2] He then played for the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup competition in 2009. Hooper was selected to play for the Victorian Country side at the AFL Under-18 Championships and he was the joint-winner of the Larke Medal, with David Swallow, awarded to the best and fairest player at the championships.[3] Despite tearing his calf muscle two weeks before the AFL Draft Camp, Hooper still participated, coming second in the agility test, third in the 20 m sprint and equal third in the standing vertical jump.[2]

Seven AFL games for seven goals. 172cms tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate of ours was going to get drafted second round to Adelaide, and when Neil Craig sat him down and said "now xxxx we are looking at the possibility of drafting you at number 36, what are your thoughts on this?" to which our mate replied "get stuffed......there's no way i'm moving to Adelaide to live no chance in hell", he slipped down a fair bit and had to go rookie draft to St Kilda after word got out of his bad attitude.

Pretty funny but he really did f&%k up his chances of making it at AFL level.

Ok now this is just equal parts hilarious and awesome.

What other crazy s**t do you reckon Neeld got up to? What a loose unit.

No wonder he was a s**t coach, he spend way to much time at the TAB. Thats where he developed the twitch

Mate of ours was going to get drafted second round to Adelaide, and when Neil Craig sat him down and said "now xxxx we are looking at the possibility of drafting you at number 36, what are your thoughts on this?" to which our mate replied "get stuffed......there's no way i'm moving to Adelaide to live no chance in hell", he slipped down a fair bit and had to go rookie draft to St Kilda after word got out of his bad attitude.

Is this mate of yours Glenn Chivers or Ross Tungatulum?

Admittedly Adelaide is a huge shithole.

Surely if you come from the TAC Cup, WAFL or SANFL, your club would give you plenty of coaching heading in to the interviews as to what you can expect to be asked and give you some example 'confronting' questions. And yes, they would coach you on a possible answer to a question from an interstate club about moving interstate. I mean, surely a Victorian potential draftee could figure that one out for himself before going into an interview with the Adelaide Football Club, that they might ask him about his thoughts on moving to Adelaide.

And, as with the Adelaide example, I think you pretty much have to do them, unless you're Tom Boyd. Other clubs obviously share or hear about certain aspects of the interviews conducted by other clubs and they'd certainly hear about a player refusing to meet with a club.

The 'zany' questions are probably just a strategy from the clubs to try to get around the coached answers and get something spontaneous back from the player. I assume most of us have been through the job interview process: most of the time, you can practically script it and you've prepared responses to 30-odd possible questions they'll ask you. But other times, it's a completely different process and there's no real way that you can prepare for it effectively.

After reading this, I do wonder if this is the reason Grundy dropped. It seems reasonable to assume that, yet I would have thought that his answers were exactly what the clubs should have been looking for. What did they want to hear? 'I'm not soft; your mum's soft'?

Sam McGarry. Apparently had a drinking problem aswell, party boy?

Same kind of drinking problem as any one of us, no worse than the standard lad. I think he just didn't really take the opportunity that was presented to him which was good for us at local level because we got a flag out of him in 2011 before he went off to Karingal for a fair bit of $$$$.

Had another mate Joey Krieger who was drafted to Freo, didn't attend draft camp, had only played a handful of TAC cup games and when he got home from a surf received a call to say he'd been picked up. He was a tall, atheletic wingman who was a very handy footballer and when he got to Freo, all he ever did was go surfing. Lasted 2 years then was delisted. Played with us in 2008 and won a flag but since gone to Black Rock and now at Red Hill.

Surely if you come from the TAC Cup, WAFL or SANFL, your club would give you plenty of coaching heading in to the interviews as to what you can expect to be asked and give you some example 'confronting' questions. And yes, they would coach you on a possible answer to a question from an interstate club about moving interstate. I mean, surely a Victorian potential draftee could figure that one out for himself before going into an interview with the Adelaide Football Club, that they might ask him about his thoughts on moving to Adelaide.

And, as with the Adelaide example, I think you pretty much have to do them, unless you're Tom Boyd. Other clubs obviously share or hear about certain aspects of the interviews conducted by other clubs and they'd certainly hear about a player refusing to meet with a club.

The 'zany' questions are probably just a strategy from the clubs to try to get around the coached answers and get something spontaneous back from the player. I assume most of us have been through the job interview process: most of the time, you can practically script it and you've prepared responses to 30-odd possible questions they'll ask you. But other times, it's a completely different process and there's no real way that you can prepare for it effectively.

After reading this, I do wonder if this is the reason Grundy dropped. It seems reasonable to assume that, yet I would have thought that his answers were exactly what the clubs should have been looking for. What did they want to hear? 'I'm not soft; your mum's soft'?

Actually I imagine this process is more or less designed to weed out the public school kids and give preference to rich kids (who are much better at towing the corporate line).

Actually I imagine this process is more or less designed to weed out the public school kids and give preference to rich kids (who are much better at towing the corporate line).

I doubt it. With APS schools throwing scholarships around like confetti to practically anyone who has made the TAC squad in their area, it's not like private school means that much anymore. At the end of the day it's still mainly about getting a kick and having the mental strength to cope with the requirements of AFL football, not about being an old school tie network.

I came across this article from 2003.

About Brock McLean and his experience during the draft camp.

The interviews have been going pretty well. I've spoken to Richmond and Adelaide as well now. Mark Williams was an intense bloke. He kept firing off the same questions, trying to confuse you. But that was OK, I like that in a coach. Kevin Sheedy had a bit of a casual chat with me

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/03/1064988406510.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back