What the heck? Melbourne draftee Interviews

Remove this Banner Ad

So its good enough for our military but not some who play a kids game?
Please explain to me the similarities between the army & AFL?

Please explain to me the similarities between the army & AFL?

You're not following the conversation properly.

The argument went from

"AFL should be the same as any other workplace when it comes to minimum standards of behaviour, it doesn't get a free pass just because its a sport"

Then another group said

"AFL is different! Its high pressure and high paid!"

My response to that is

"The Army is more high pressure, yet these standards apply to our soldiers, so why not our AFL players?"

Doesn't even have to be defence. There are plenty of other high pressure jobs where these minimum standards apply. They are minimum standards after all. You know, being the minimum and all.

choko is a crazy old man and melbourne are losers, why would anyone emulate their practices?

I wonder if they screened jack watts in this way.

haha typical old man reply, you should have read the whole thread and learned something before replying.

Never experienced it myself, but I have often heard that this is a regular method used in job interviews.

Bit different if you're dealing with adults who are mature, confident and a bit more life experienced.

I stand up for myself now, I didn't always when I was 17yo FFS. I don't think it was a character fault, I was just a kid.

Anyone who fires back in this situation will probably end up being a Mitch Thorp type, arrogant and pretentious.

Bit different if you're dealing with adults who are mature, confident and a bit more life experienced.

I stand up for myself now, I didn't always when I was 17yo FFS. I don't think it was a character fault, I was just a kid.

Anyone who fires back in this situation will probably end up being a Mitch Thorp type, arrogant and pretentious.

woah1.gif

So again, if anything, I reckon Melbourne will be the ones looking like dipshits for not taking him. Again. I don't think the Pies rue picking him up...
On a side note I find it highly ironic that a Melbourne fan is giving people a lecture about something draft related.
Freo, Pies and Brisbane would welcome Toumpas, Hogan and Viney with open arms.

Pies would even take Dawes after they recruited White using their second and third picks.

Might have been.

It does happen to a lot of the shorter blokes unfortunately. Even just highly rated juniors who don't grow tall enough. Can't teach height and all that.

Surely lack of height can get more frees from head high contact/ easier to get the ball from the ground?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... think of someone going to a big brother TV gig, would expect questions bout sexuality, intelligent and habits being very high on the agenda... and lets face it an extroverted, very intelligent lesbien who likes collecting spiders and keeping them as pets is probably most likely to get the gig...:)

Only if she's pretty though, that's the first rule of female casting for pretty much any reality show except for Biggest Loser or if you're an "older" member on Amazing Race.

Might have been.

It does happen to a lot of the shorter blokes unfortunately. Even just highly rated juniors who don't grow tall enough. Can't teach height and all that.
I reckon this is due to state team selection. That height preference really starts at anything above country and suburban level. Even selections like WAFL Colts or TAC Cup is all about height. In fact even a little regional competition will probably have taller blokes with no obvious ability to read play or kick straight over short arses who can play well. So it's a combination of being overlooked to get in the AFL looking pool, as well as limited ability to train with better coaches and players (that you get at higher junior levels).

Apparently Chocco used to do something similar at Port. Used to ask players questions that made them uncomfortable to see how they deal with it. Apparently he asked Dustin Martin if he was stupid, since he didn't finish school.

Called Matthew Lobbe a "mummy's boy" to his face during the draft interviews, then drafted him in the first round, and didn't play him until his third year.

I reckon this is due to state team selection. That height preference really starts at anything above country and suburban level. Even selections like WAFL Colts or TAC Cup is all about height. In fact even a little regional competition will probably have taller blokes with no obvious ability to read play or kick straight over short arses who can play well. So it's a combination of being overlooked to get in the AFL looking pool, as well as limited ability to train with better coaches and players (that you get at higher junior levels).

Haven't the majority of Morrish Medal winners (since it became the TAC Cup Best & Fairest award in 1992) been short midfielders? Eg. Jacob Chisari, Ben Cavarra, and George Cameron (2013), Alex Benbow (2011), Jackson Sketcher (2010), Anton Woods (2009), Farran Priest and Jarryd Blair (2008), Fortunato Caruso (2005/2006), Mungara Brown (2003), David Rodan (2000/2001), Derek Murray (1997), Paul Hood (1995), Gary Moorcroft (1994). All under 180cm, and the majority of them didn't get drafted.

Seems odd that the majority of winners of the B&F award in the country's premier junior footy comp A) Don't get drafted, and B) Are supposedly of a body type that shouldn't be successful. Do recuiters need to re-evalute whether height is really neccessary for success in the middle, or are there clear reasons why these types of players have success at junior level, but don't project as successful senior players?

Haven't the majority of Morrish Medal winners (since it became the TAC Cup Best & Fairest award in 1992) been short midfielders? Eg. Jacob Chisari, Ben Cavarra, and George Cameron (2013), Alex Benbow (2011), Jackson Sketcher (2010), Anton Woods (2009), Farran Priest and Jarryd Blair (2008), Fortunato Caruso (2005/2006), Mungara Brown (2003), David Rodan (2000/2001), Derek Murray (1997), Paul Hood (1995), Gary Moorcroft (1994). All under 180cm, and the majority of them didn't get drafted.

Seems odd that the majority of winners of the B&F award in the country's premier junior footy comp A) Don't get drafted, and B) Are supposedly of a body type that shouldn't be successful. Do recuiters need to re-evalute whether height is really neccessary for success in the middle, or are there clear reasons why these types of players have success at junior level, but don't project as successful senior players?

Look at Geelong's model where their bigger bodied mids were all capable of playing in defence or up forward due to their height. They also dominated teams with their bigger bodies and corridor based footy that completely obliterated teams who didn't have the strength or size to match them inside. Even Ablett at 182cm tends to struggle against Freo for example due to their bigger bodies in the midfield and ability to crowd space.

Look at Geelong's model where their bigger bodied mids were all capable of playing in defence or up forward due to their height. They also dominated teams with their bigger bodies and corridor based footy that completely obliterated teams who didn't have the strength or size to match them inside. Even Ablett at 182cm tends to struggle against Freo for example due to their bigger bodies in the midfield and ability to crowd space.

Good example of this was 19 year old Ollie Wines outmarking 26 year old Marc Murphy comfortably on Sunday night. You can only have so many Paul Puopolos in the one team IMO.

Yeah shorter blokes can dominate in lesser leagues because its unlikely that even at WAFL, VFL or SANFL level a team can field an entire midfield/wing/flank set up of tall/big midfielders. but at AFL level it is possible.

The reality is taller guys are usually unco, smaller guys usually have good balance. But when you get to the elite leve you aren't talking about what "usually" happens, you have equal amounts of both trying to get signed to the AFL. You're always going to take the bigger guys with everything else being mroe or less equal.

Most of those juniors are playing against similar sized players. There would be 60 'good' rovers running around every week in TAC Cup alone. But with AFL clubs having maybe 2 or 3 each, each club might draft one small bloke every second year. So for the 100 rovers nation wide that is maybe 8-10 jobs they are fighting over.

Piss weak to be honest. That's embarrassing a 17, 18-year old kid who's already pretty nervous sitting in front of half a dozen grown men who already have the power over you.

There are other ways to gauge someone's resilience or character.

How do you answer that? "Look, I had other things I was interested in and school was a waste of everyone's time – I did what suited me." Which isn't something most guys could say, you'd be taken aback. That or "mate, if this as an AFL club, you and your boys club can go **** yourselves."

Or better still " I have no interest in sitting here talking to you about anything other than football. Do you want me or dont you?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back