Universal Love Pick 77: Welcome to Collingwood - Jonathon Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Sharenberg should be a lock - top 6, massive talent, expect 150 games or more
Freeman has some issues with disposal to sort out, a great kid with massive potential, if he can sort that out he will make it.
Langdon - could be a better version of Goldy than...Goldy but have, to wait and see, no certainty
Marsh - The joker in the pack, absolute freak who can do the amazing and then the unthinkable, can look unbeatable and then be unsighted, could be anything and could be nothing.

Welcome to Collingwood Jonathan Marsh :D

He could be the absolute steal of the draft or he could turn out to be quite a poor player for the club who languishes in the reserves. It did seem surprising to many experts that he was picked so low in the draft considering most of them had him at around pick 20 to 35. He's got that x-factor and unpredictability about him. On his day he could potentially single-handedly win us a game if he's on song. I think it's fantastic that we've taken a risk on selecting Marsh. He could turn out to be an excellent player for the club and it looks like a good kick and he's got a strong set of hands. I think the reason why he was so low to start off with is due to his lack of endurance somewhat.

Jonathon-Marsh-200x300.jpg

I would have Goldsack and Karnezis ahead of Marsh at the moment. Goldsack and Karnezis shown they can do it at AFL Level where Marsh done it at underage footy at the moment but he has the Biggest Upside of the 3

Karnezis has a fair bit more upside than he is given credit for here. Will surprise a lot over the next few years I reckon.

Marsh is that type of player that can cause a coach to go prematurely grey, he has great weapons but needs to round out his game and learn to be more consistent.

That said he has some tremendous weapons when on song, so it's now over to our development boys to see if they can get him to realize his potential.

For pick 77 in a shallow draft you couldn't ask for more.

The article on AFL.com.au looks promising.

I like the idea that he was played at CHF which was something new to him and he struggled for consistency whilst learning the position. I doubt he'll find himself in this position on an AFL list, certainly not for a number of years anyway, so this will give a chance to develop his game as a flanker. Could be a real surprise packet.

This is a great pick by Hine and the recruiters at pick 77. Given that he was rated by many to be worth a second or third rounder and has the potential to be that or even better this is a classic late round choice. I don't think the word "bust" can be used at all as normally at pick 77 you wouldn't have high expectations of finding a long-term player or game-changer.

Our depth is fine and we do not need more. What we need is more stars or players who have the potential to be stars. It's all good to have a list where you have decent players who can step up from the VFL side to replace injured stars or play a handful of useful games, but history shows that in a premiership year you need a senior side with a number of stars, then a few guys who know and play their role to perfection, and some luck with injuries so you are not constantly having to rotate your team. If anything I would like to see us trade away some of our current depth next year to get another couple of star players.

Yes Marsh needs to work on his skills and endurance, but if he gets it together he could be anything with his unique physical attributes and that is well worth such a late pick. Hopefully we can bring out the best in him. In any case it has already built up the excitement levels for many of us and daring to dream is one of the great things about being a fan.

Hopefully this big fella will turn Marsh into a star
91040599.jpg

What a rare photo, one of the few times Zac Dawson grabs the ball.

This is a great pick by Hine and the recruiters at pick 77. Given that he was rated by many to be worth a second or third rounder and has the potential to be that or even better this is a classic late round choice. I don't think the word "bust" can be used at all as normally at pick 77 you wouldn't have high expectations of finding a long-term player or game-changer.

Our depth is fine and we do not need more. What we need is more stars or players who have the potential to be stars. It's all good to have a list where you have decent players who can step up from the VFL side to replace injured stars or play a handful of useful games, but history shows that in a premiership year you need a senior side with a number of stars, then a few guys who know and play their role to perfection, and some luck with injuries so you are not constantly having to rotate your team. If anything I would like to see us trade away some of our current depth next year to get another couple of star players.

Yes Marsh needs to work on his skills and endurance, but if he gets it together he could be anything with his unique physical attributes and that is well worth such a late pick. Hopefully we can bring out the best in him. In any case it has already built up the excitement levels for many of us and daring to dream is one of the great things about being a fan.

Good thoughts. Welcome aboard piper. Maybe our China correspondent!?

Just going off his "highlights" video but it looks like he has a lot of improvement to do, which Hine said he thinks the development staff can help with. His kicking looks a little worrying which normally isn't something that improves too much in 18+ year olds, and his marks don't look too convincing. In saying that did I hear correctly that he's only played AFL for 1 season? He reminds me of Sam Gilbert.

In saying all of that I hope he does develop into a handy player, he could be a pretty exciting type.

Just going off his "highlights" video but it looks like he has a lot of improvement to do, which Hine said he thinks the development staff can help with. His kicking looks a little worrying which normally isn't something that improves too much in 18+ year olds, and his marks don't look too convincing. In saying that did I hear correctly that he's only played AFL for 1 season? He reminds me of Sam Gilbert.

In saying all of that I hope he does develop into a handy player, he could be a pretty exciting type.

Agree Kicking Style looked super raw though he kicked one from about 55-60 out.

He has being Potentially the best player from this Draft but could be a Bust as Well

Good thoughts. Welcome aboard piper. Maybe our China correspondent!?

Thanks warrior. Yeah maybe, however I am just one of many Pies supporters up here. Can't wait to see what the new guys can offer with this year's draft crop, as well as Broomhead, and a full preseason and season from Grundy. Exciting times ahead!

This article makes me laugh a bit:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...onships-conclude/story-fni5f22o-1226673363353

its clear that Sam Landsberger has no idea.... am i reading this article wrong or did he just say Marsh is right in the mix for top 10?

Hugh Goddard (Vic Country) - Brendon's cousin. Not eligible until next year.
Marcus Bontempelli (Vic Metro) - Nick Dal Santo's cousin - and it shows.
Darcy Gardiner (Vic Country) - Announced himself shutting down Jesse Hogan on the national stage last year. Competitive beast expected to return today. Should go early in the draft.
Zach Merrett (Vic Country) - Jackson's brother. Boasts a lovely kick.
Jonathan Marsh (WA) - Freakishly athletic forward. Right in the top 10 mix.
Mitch Harvey (SA) - Star AFL scout Matty Rendell's nephew. Tall forward with nice agility and clean hands.
Darcy Hourigan (SA) - A beast who dominated against Metro last week. Looms as the focal point in attack today.
Josh Scott (Vic Country) - A late developing 19-year-old from Lakes Entrance who has 46 TAC Cup goals this season. Might not play against Metro.
Cam McCarthy (WA) - Goaled on the siren to beat Vic Country in Geelong last Friday. The last player to do that was Buddy Franklin nine years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This article makes me laugh a bit:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...onships-conclude/story-fni5f22o-1226673363353

its clear that Sam Landsberger has no idea.... am i reading this article wrong or did he just say Marsh is right in the mix for top 10?

Hugh Goddard (Vic Country) - Brendon's cousin. Not eligible until next year.
Marcus Bontempelli (Vic Metro) - Nick Dal Santo's cousin - and it shows.
Darcy Gardiner (Vic Country) - Announced himself shutting down Jesse Hogan on the national stage last year. Competitive beast expected to return today. Should go early in the draft.
Zach Merrett (Vic Country) - Jackson's brother. Boasts a lovely kick.
Jonathan Marsh (WA) - Freakishly athletic forward. Right in the top 10 mix.
Mitch Harvey (SA) - Star AFL scout Matty Rendell's nephew. Tall forward with nice agility and clean hands.
Darcy Hourigan (SA) - A beast who dominated against Metro last week. Looms as the focal point in attack today.
Josh Scott (Vic Country) - A late developing 19-year-old from Lakes Entrance who has 46 TAC Cup goals this season. Might not play against Metro.
Cam McCarthy (WA) - Goaled on the siren to beat Vic Country in Geelong last Friday. The last player to do that was Buddy Franklin nine years ago.

Well if he was thought as a Top 10 Pick. My God he fell into our Laps:D

Jonathon Marsh
Selection No. 77

Height: 192cm Weight: 87kg DOB: 17 October 1995 Position: Key forward
"Jonathon ran the second fasted 20-metre sprint at the combine history so he's got speed as well as power, explosiveness and agility. Outside of that he's played primarily key position for us up forward at Colts level and there was some debate as to whether we should have played him in the seniors late in the year. He's pretty raw in terms of his game sense so that's a developing area for him but ideally I think he could play as a wingman/high half forward where he could use his chasing and tackling, which is outstanding. His kicking still needs work so that's an area of development...just a classic x-factor sort of player with enormous are talent and the potential to be phenomenal, it's just a matter of harnessing that talent and energy. That'll be the challenge for the club that picks him up. If you had asked me early in the year I would have said he'd be a top 10 pick..." - East Fremantle Football Manager Darren Fry, Inside Football Magazine

Exclusive to collingwoodfc.com.au

With Marsh & Freeman I feel like we are a great chance to get some winners on the board in the half time sprint. Its about time we started investing in some genuine speedsters for this event. One of the few trophies missing from our cabinet. Can they knock off Dangerfield from his perch? :D

Marsh was just too good to let pass at 77, very bargain basement pick, huge potential but high risk.
Has special tools if he can put it together between his ears, (i.e. athletic freak who needs to learn to play the game well). Hold on to your hats this kid should be a great ride for the next couple of years, will be breathtaking at times but do the unthinkably stupid at others.

View attachment 36336
If Scharenberg is 191, Marsh looks to be at least 195cm judging by this photo.

Hine said he was 194cm after the Draft:

Derek Hine Says:
"He is a 194-cm forward from Margaret River who played for East Fremantle for one year. He has a lot of work to do but he has extraordinary speed, has really good size and really good power in his game."

The Next Buddy? he Athletic like Buddy

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-11-21/welcome-to-collingwood-jonathon-marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back