Competition Melbourne Heart rebrand (Melbourne City)

Remove this Banner Ad

A club that has only been around for four years and was so much in debt that the Soccer League couldn't help them out has no right to give orders or ask for anything.
Around 5000 members might be annoyed but i'm guessing at lest half or more would be happy that their club will now be viable both on and off the field due to this bail out.

I don't think Manchester City will implement sky blue as a primary colour. Melbourne will stick with red but blue will be a secondary colour. They don't have to wear the exact same colours as their parent club.
Just like McDonald's dont need the arches, right?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

I don't think Manchester City will implement sky blue as a primary colour. Melbourne will stick with red but blue will be a secondary colour. They don't have to wear the exact same colours as their parent club.

Obviously they don't but most do.

See Chivas USA, Arsenal de Sarandi, Arsenal Kiev, Red Bull NY and Salzburg, I'm sure there's more but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

Obviously they don't but most do.

See Chivas USA, Arsenal de Sarandi, Arsenal Kiev, Red Bull NY and Salzburg, I'm sure there's more but i can't think of them off the top of my head.

Chivas USA, Arsenal de Sarandi and Arsenal Kiev are not owned by another bigger club as far as I am aware, their names are just coincidental or were used as homage to the clubs who use that name. The closest club to being owned by Arsenal is the Colorado Rapids who were going to be called Arsenal Colorado when Stan Kroenke who is a shareholder of Arsenal bought the Rapids, but ended up keeping their name.

Red Bull NY and Salzburg are a completely different scenario and fit under corporate ownership not parent club ownership.

Last edited:
Chivas USA, Arsenal de Sarandi and Arsenal Kiev are not owned by another bigger club as far as I am aware, their names are just coincidental or were used as homage to the clubs who use that name. The closest club to being owned by Arsenal is the Colorado Rapids who were going to be called Arsenal Colorado when Stan Kroenke who is a shareholder of Arsenal bought the Rapids, but ended up keeping their name.

Red Bull NY and Salzburg are a completely different scenario and fit under corporate ownership not parent club ownership.
Chivas were owned by Club Deportivo Guadelajara who are known by their nickname Chivas (goats), and took most of their image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I can remember, when Rangers FC bought into the Northern Spirit, they didn't change their colours. Though Northern Spirit did have a blue away kit in the first place.

That's a cop out.
If it was as easy as that then why did the Wanderers use Red as a primary?

You mean red and black. Which, used in a pattern unused by any other A-League side (hoops), has distinguished them from other teams also using red and helped them build a solid club identity.

If it was all a matter of single colours you'd have the ugliness of what's currently going on in the BBL.

There must have been some sort of sports marketing think-tank involved. Wouldn't have been the FFA, otherwise how would we have a bright green North Queensland Fury and a traditional WSW coming from the same bunch of guys? How could one brand be so right and the other so nonsensical?

Designer of the Wanderers identity; http://www.behance.net/thanhlu

I think some of these designs look great, but the full inclusion of the melbourne city flag tends to make the primary logo a bit too cluttered (including mine). Maybe a simple yet unique monogram that subtly gives a nod to each segment(?) within the club may be the way to go.

Who were the guys responsible for the Wanderers' branding? Would be nice to get them over here and re-brand the Force.
There must have been some sort of sports marketing think-tank involved. Wouldn't have been the FFA, otherwise how would we have a bright green North Queensland Fury and a traditional WSW coming from the same bunch of guys? How could one brand be so right and the other so nonsensical?
Designer of the Wanderers identity; http://www.behance.net/thanhlu

The Wanderers colours and name were chosen through public discussion (the previous Rovers proposal were predicted to be red and black, and the public never wanted anything different, the name was also put to a vote and won quite easily from memory). Suggestions were taken into account on the kit design but were not 100% from the public discussions. It was being speculated until the reveal, but the public wanted stripes (vertical), but were happy with hoops. It was only the logo that was from a specific branding/design company and had no input from the public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the heart were so concerned about their colours they would have declined and waited for sunderland or stoke to buy them out

Except, of course, it wasn't 'Heart' that was selling the team. It was the (at that stage 'soon to be former') owners of Heart who had just doubled the money on their original investment, while presiding over a 26-29-45 all time W-D-L record. Reckon they gave a s**t about a hypothetical change of the club's colours? They've just made $6 million while creating an on-field laughingstock.

A club that has only been around for four years and was so much in debt that the Soccer League couldn't help them out has no right to give orders or ask for anything.

I suppose you've got a few articles or something to back that up? Because it's complete and utter bullshit.

Except, of course, it wasn't 'Heart' that was selling the team. It was the (at that stage 'soon to be former') owners of Heart who had just doubled the money on their original investment, while presiding over a 26-29-45 all time W-D-L record. Reckon they gave a s**t about a hypothetical change of the club's colours? They've just made $6 million while creating an on-field laughingstock.

I suppose you've got a few articles or something to back that up? Because it's complete and utter bullshit.

Are you mad?

Their supporters club has been banging on about it before aloisi got the rocket, that and boycotting their own clubs home games.
Culture is strong with that club.............

Are you mad?

Their supporters club has been banging on about it before aloisi got the rocket, that and boycotting their own clubs home games.

The supporters club was banging on about debt? That seems strange, considering there was no debt.

Let's see some evidence that you are not talking out of your arse.

Are you mad?

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you. Heart made a profit last season through player transfers and is hardly debt ridden considering every cost cutting measure had been taken to ensure the club was viable no matter who owned it.

There was never a boycott either, there was a silent protest for 45 minutes by the Yarraside, but they were still there and sung their hearts out in the second half.

It appears that you hear half the facts reinterpret them into utter crap and spout them as truths. I'd expect a full retraction of your previous comment.

The idea I had for the badge was to make it as simple, modern and distinguishable as possible. The centrepiece of the badge is the shape of the pattern you'll find on most footballs - a hexagon. The stylised 'M' within the hexagon represents the innovative city that is Melbourne. Melbourne is full of amazing architecture (Federation Square and Collins Street for instance) and I wanted to portray this in the logo by using sharp, diagonal and unnatural lines, much the same as modern architects would use. Protruding from behind the hexagon is a circle that completes the badge, as it makes it look like a football, which gives someone who may be viewing if for the first time the impression that it is a logo of a football club. As for the colours, well they're obvious. Red = Melbourne Heart, sky blue = Manchester City.

The reason why the only wordmark used is 'CITY' is because that's my vision of what the club would be known as, much like their new owners in Manchester City. No significant sporting club in Australia currently occupies the name, and I think Melbourne should make it theirs. When someone says something like "I'm watching the City game" or "I support City" I want the person they're speaking to to instantly identify "City" with the Melbourne City Football Club.

35jf6uo.png

The beauty of this crest is that it is easily transferable to any surface or colour without losing it's charm nor identity.

34yblav.png

9u3jmu.png
xu8b4.png

Now onto the kits. The home kit is a combination of Heart and Man City - a red shirt (Heart) with sky blue (Man City) and white stripes (Heart). Like the badge, the idea was to keep the home kit simple, unique and easily recognisable. Using sleeves as a design element is rather exclusive in the A-League. As soon as you see a jersey with striped sleeves, you'll identify that with City. That's my vision anyway.

Above the player name on each kit will read 'HEART' to pay tribute to the former name - something I felt was necessary. Also, the inner label on each kit will read 'CITY' and the stylised 'M' that features in the badge sits inside the kit numbers.

1t6361.png

The away kit is a combination of the two sash kits formally worn by Heart and Man City. Man City used a double sash, while Heart wore a solid red sash on white. Man City's sash went from left to right, while Heart's traveled in the opposite direction (like below). By combining these two kits, the result is what you see below - a sky blue shirt with a charcoal (Heart's third colour, which I think they should keep) and white double sash. I also favoured a v-neck collar for this design as opposed to the crew neck used on the home.

34gvwoj.png

The third kit is obvious really and doesn't require too much of an explanation. It's basically the home kit with a change of colour palette. I love the combination of charcoal, red and white and I really found it necessary to implement it. This kit provides a simple solution if the home and away kits clash with the the opposition, as both kits are rather light. The red stripes also pay tribute to Melbourne Heart.

2n7qxpx.png

Final Entry:

2aj8djs.png
ABSOLOUTELY LOVE THE HOME AND 3RD KIT MATE. WELL DONE! but... im not really a fan of the logo.

The supporters club was banging on about debt? That seems strange, considering there was no debt.

Let's see some evidence that you are not talking out of your arse.

You seem slightly angry, did i touch your sweet spot.

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you. Heart made a profit last season through player transfers and is hardly debt ridden considering every cost cutting measure had been taken to ensure the club was viable no matter who owned it.

There was never a boycott either, there was a silent protest for 45 minutes by the Yarraside, but they were still there and sung their hearts out in the second half.

It appears that you hear half the facts reinterpret them into utter crap and spout them as truths. I'd expect a full retraction of your previous comment.

So they made a profit by selling of the one thing that could make or break them, the directors must be loling at the supporters very hard.

You seem slightly angry, did i touch your sweet spot.

I'm not angry at all. My team has been one of the best performed in the league in recent weeks and will have the money in the offseason to set up the best training facilities and youth academy in the country. They will be playing a home match in Melbourne against maybe the best team in the world in May. And that's just the start.

I'm just asking for some proof that you have the slightest clue what you're talking about. You seem reluctant to provide that, for some reason.

I'm not angry at all. My team has been one of the best performed in the league in recent weeks and will have the money in the offseason to set up the best training facilities and youth academy in the country. They will be playing a home match in Melbourne against maybe the best team in the world in May. And that's just the start.

I'm just asking for some proof that you have the slightest clue what you're talking about. You seem reluctant to provide that, for some reason.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/leach-opinion-display/Failing-Heart-in-need-of-assistance/63978

http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/244...buy-out-man-city-melbourne-city-fc-etc/page-3

http://sports.wamnetwork.com.au/2014/01/23/man-city-completes-takeover-of-heart/

congratulations to David Williams on a great goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back