NFL 2014 Off-Season Discussion and Musings

Remove this Banner Ad

A story that hasn't been discussed here at all.

From what I understand, since the Al Davis-Jon Gruden-Buccaneers trade, the NFL made it illegal to trade coaches to other teams.

However, there's apparently fire where there's smoke in regards to this story of Harbaugh and Baalke not getting on, Baalke viewing himself as the main man who has acquired all the talent at the Niners that any old coach can coach to win, and Harbaugh being his typical aggravating/annoying self.
From what I've read, Harbaugh wants to have final say on personnel. Which would put him at odds with the GM. Baalke not exactly and sit back and take it kinda fella either.
Not sure why he would feel the need to want to control personnel. It's not like they are struggling with players at this point.

From what I've read, Harbaugh wants to have final say on personnel. Which would put him at odds with the GM. Baalke not exactly and sit back and take it kinda fella either.
Not sure why he would feel the need to want to control personnel. It's not like they are struggling with players at this point.

Because he's a dickhead.

I was watching the 96 Packers Super bowl Champions doco this morning (for the 87th time). Whenever I do, I reflect at what a unique competition the NFL is, compared to other ball/team sports/completions. It's a comp that allows a seemingly nondescript, regular guy, who hasn't played in the NFL, like Mike Holmgren, to start a HoF career at 38!

The guy was an assistant (probably part time) for the High school team! Then becomes the qb coach for the 49ers! What is he going to teach/help Joe Monatan and Steve Young with???

I could never imagine a successful VFL/WAFL/SANFL coach, in his late 30s, without AFL experience, getting a look in at AFL. I couldn't imagine a multiple A-league winning coach getting similar opportunities with an EPL/c'ship side.

What a fricken ride his career, from his last year at High school, to the sb win, must've been???

Wilson is 2 seasons into his career, and has 1 ring on the back of the best defence since the 2000 ravens. to already be talking about him in HoF circles is rediculous.
Why not make a case for Trent Dilfer next.
Brady Manning and Brees have repeatedly taken teams to conf championship games and superbowls on the back of bottom 10 defences.

Lets leave him out of HoF talk until he has done this consistently for a few more years yet.

Oh, and Eli shouldn't get HoF either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If one good season can get you into the Hall (Wilson) then one bad one can surely erase your name...

For what it is worth I'd take one Super Bowl season and a bad season over two non-Super Bowl but good seasons. Furthermore if you had 5 Super Bowl wins and 7 rubbish seasons you'd make it. Which is why the forum was asking the question in the first place; by virtue of rings alone how many would it take?

Wilson is 2 seasons into his career, and has 1 ring on the back of the best defence since the 2000 ravens. to already be talking about him in HoF circles is rediculous.
Why not make a case for Trent Dilfer next.
Brady Manning and Brees have repeatedly taken teams to conf championship games and superbowls on the back of bottom 10 defences.

Lets leave him out of HoF talk until he has done this consistently for a few more years yet.

Oh, and Eli shouldn't get HoF either

I think you are underselling Wilson a lot here; he is no Trent Dilfer.

For what it is worth I'd take one Super Bowl season and a bad season over two non-Super Bowl but good seasons. Furthermore if you had 5 Super Bowl wins and 7 rubbish seasons you'd make it. Which is why the forum was asking the question in the first place; by virtue of rings alone how many would it take?

I think you are underselling Wilson a lot here; he is no Trent Dilfer.
of course he's not trent dilfer... he was terrible
But what im getting at is your already putting wilson and HoF in the same sentence and hes in a team whos run first on offence (2000 ravens Jamaal Lewis)
with top 10 all time defence (2000 ravens)

Wilsons job is to steer the ship and not turn it over, the defence will get you field position and let beast mode loose on O, that was all trent dilfers job was

of course he's not trent dilfer... he was terrible
But what im getting at is your already putting wilson and HoF in the same sentence and hes in a team whos run first on offence (2000 ravens Jamaal Lewis)
with top 10 all time defence (2000 ravens)

If you read the OP I was more interested in Eli to be honest. And you're missing the point (or sidetracking) - what the discussion on the Seahawks board centred around the assumption that we continue as a beastly defense, run first offense (I think it'll last two more years max personally) given that, by weight of Super Bowls alone how many would it take to get into the HoF? Posters were weighing up the merits of rings against personal accolades for HoF voters.

Wilsons job is to steer the ship and not turn it over, the defence will get you field position and let beast mode loose on O, that was all trent dilfers job was

I think this undersells him a lot.

Obviously this HoF chatter is 10 years premature (hopefully) however, it is an interesting conversation about what it constitutes for QBs to make it (which is what I was primarily interested in).

If you read the OP I was more interested in Eli to be honest. And you're missing the point (or sidetracking) - what the discussion on the Seahawks board centred around the assumption that we continue as a beastly defense, run first offense (I think it'll last two more years max personally) given that, by weight of Super Bowls alone how many would it take to get into the HoF? Posters were weighing up the merits of rings against personal accolades for HoF voters.

I think this undersells him a lot.

Obviously this HoF chatter is 10 years premature (hopefully) however, it is an interesting conversation about what it constitutes for QBs to make it (which is what I was primarily interested in).
For mine stats over rings. As important as a position that QB is in football you still need a team to win titles.
Even though they will both be first ballot HoFers Brady has 3 rings but Manning has all the records and I think Manning is the better QB
Brady won all 3 of his titles with a pats D that was ranked inside the top 10. Manning battled for years with D's that were in the bottom 10
Colts O has nearly always been ranked higher than Pats O.

Nba has the same argument Kobe has 5 rings and 1 MPV, Lebron has 4 MVP's and 2 rings
Kobe needed Shaq or Pau/Bunym, Lebron needed Wade/Bosh
Jordan needed Pippen/Rodman
Bill Russell has 11 rings, does that make him the greatest basketball player ever

guarantee Eli will get in based on his 2 rings which pisses me off. The only HoF worth QB's atm imo is Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers

Out of the Rookie contract Qb's I can see Andrew Luck as an almost sure thing and thats about it

Citing "numerous" league sources and NFL executives, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins "might also be open to dealing" Cameron Wake and Mike Wallace.

If La Canfora's sources are to be trusted, the Dolphins are open to a full-on firesale under rookie GM Dennis Hickey, as 2013 No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan is also said to be available. Miami would absorb an over-$5 million cap penalty to deal Jordan, but would clear room by trading Wallace and/or Wake. (No one is going to trade for Wallace's mammoth contract, of course.) La Canfora's story, accessible at the link below, indicates Hickey intends to invest heavily in the talented 2014 draft, and is willing to part with big-name players in order to load up on picks. Ex-GM Jeff Ireland's 2013 offseason "master plan" blew up tremendously during the regular season, and looks worse and worse by the day.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly stated after last year's draft that Philly "very heavily" considered selecting Dion Jordan with the No. 4 overall pick, until he was scooped up by Miami at No. 3.

The Fins likely knew of Kelly's interest -- Jordan played for him at Oregon -- and moved directly in front of the Eagles to nab him. "The guy that went No. 3, we were considering very heavily but didn’t get the chance to pull the trigger on that one," stated Kelly in a post-draft press conference. This should fan the flames of Philadelphia's already rumored interest in Jordan, whom CBS Sports reported Friday has essentially been placed on the trade block by Miami

Trent Richardson - RB - Colts

Trent Richardson rushed for two yards or fewer on 101 of his 188 carries last season, and was stopped for a loss or no gain 41 times.

That means T-Rich failed to surpass two yards on 53.7 percent of his carries, and was stopped for a loss or no gain 21.8 percent of the time. The numbers encapsulate the true miserableness of Richardson's sophomore campaign. A full breakdown of why Richardson flopped can be found in Patrick Daugherty's "What Went Wrong," accessible at the link below.

Source: What Went Wrong: Trent Richardson

I was watching the 96 Packers Super bowl Champions doco this morning (for the 87th time). Whenever I do, I reflect at what a unique competition the NFL is, compared to other ball/team sports/completions. It's a comp that allows a seemingly nondescript, regular guy, who hasn't played in the NFL, like Mike Holmgren, to start a HoF career at 38!

The guy was an assistant (probably part time) for the High school team! Then becomes the qb coach for the 49ers! What is he going to teach/help Joe Monatan and Steve Young with???

I could never imagine a successful VFL/WAFL/SANFL coach, in his late 30s, without AFL experience, getting a look in at AFL. I couldn't imagine a multiple A-league winning coach getting similar opportunities with an EPL/c'ship side.

What a fricken ride his career, from his last year at High school, to the sb win, must've been???

No it wasn't… sorry to burst your bubble boy.

After High school.. (Holgrem was a teacher #profession, at the age of 33,) he got the gig for College to
became the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the San Francisco State Gators.

From 1982 to 1985, Holmgren was the quarterbacks coach at Brigham Young University. During his four-year tenure at BYU, Holmgren not only helped coach the team's potent offense to a national championship in 1984, but in that period mentored and developed two of BYU's future NFL quarterback & HC, one being the one & only Steve Young and the other, KC's current HC, Andy Reid. In 1986, (38 year old), he got his first NFL assistant gig with SF as QB coach, having already coached Steve Young @ BYU.
By the age of 38, Mike Tomlin had already coached the Steelers to his second SB. :p

Colin Kaepernick had an accuracy rating of 54.6 percent under pressure last season, the worst mark in the NFL.

Kaepernick was also sacked on 20.2 percent of snaps when under duress, the fourth-worst rate among starters. 49ers president Paraag Marathe admitted that advanced stats will "play a big role" in Kaepernick's contract extension, where he's reportedly seeking a deal worth $15-16 million annually. The two sides have begun preliminary talks and are expected to get a deal done before the season.

Source: ESPN.com

Mar 1 - 10:07 PM

One Dolphins source told the Miami Herald that WLB Philip Wheeler became "complacent" after ex-GM Jeff Ireland signed him to a five-year, $26 million contract.

In other words, he mailed it in after getting paid. Ireland also happened to guarantee the entirety of Wheeler's $5 million salary for 2014, making him very difficult to cut just one year into the deal. Wheeler was a missed tackle machine in 2013, and was regularly attacked successfully in pass coverage.

Source: Miami Herald

Mar 2 - 4:19 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back