Mega Thread Dayle Garlett - I did but see him passing by... allegedly in a stolen vehicle (thanks Josh)

Remove this Banner Ad

The was a lengthy interview with Clarko on SEN yesterday morning which covered a fair few topics and there was not one question on Dayle, indicative of how well the club has handled this whole thing that it wasn't on the radar of the interviewers.

The was a lengthy interview with Clarko on SEN yesterday morning which covered a fair few topics and there was not one question on Dayle, indicative of how well the club has handled this whole thing that it wasn't on the radar of the interviewers.

I'm amazed SEN didn't ask...staggered...

I'm amazed SEN didn't ask...staggered...

I would say there is a substantial amount of this story bring played out behind the scenes and that media are playing there part at the request of the club

One thing that caught my eye in the article about SD passing on him. I really don't understand the fine print of it, but this seemed to be the gist ... Forgive me if I read a little too much between the lines.

There was mention that he was cleared to SD, was all sweet so to speak. But then they decided to pass on signing him. Mention was then made, that if he was to play anywhere else, he would have to be cleared from Swan District. In doing this, they would receive a $15,000 transfer fee. Then mention was made of the unlikelyhood of this for a few other reasons. Seemingly, closing the door on him playing in the WAFL this year.

I know there's other issues at play, but this stinks of something. Just a little maybe.

Did Swan D have any intention of signing him to actually play in the WAFL, and so help out the guy as the Hawks claimed was the intention? Or was he cleared to them, knowing full well they weren't gonna play him, unless another club coughed up the $15k to them. Seems they are happy to have him sit on the sidelines so he can't be used as a weapon against them. They can't lose, Garlett cannot win.

Not suggesting this was the intention from the start, but how much did the Hawks know what the process was going to be once he was released. Is all very well talking up the care we have shown the guy (and I do believe we have been very generous), but to see it possibly end up like this, it all seems a bit petty.

Is anyone closer to the WAFL side of the story (with clearances etc) that can shed some light?

I would say there is a substantial amount of this story bring played out behind the scenes and that media are playing there part at the request of the club

The media are working with us and keeping button-lipped! Sorry...yeah, right!!!

The media are working with us and keeping button-lipped! Sorry...yeah, right!!!

Happens far more than you would believe. Journo's sit on a lot of stories for one reason or another

Not suggesting this was the intention from the start, but how much did the Hawks know what the process was going to be once he was released. Is all very well talking up the care we have shown the guy (and I do believe we have been very generous), but to see it possibly end up like this, it all seems a bit petty.

Is anyone closer to the WAFL side of the story (with clearances etc) that can shed some light?

Revenge tactics? I certainly hope not. Particularly after the PR from HFC about the HFC letting him have a chance to go back to the WAFL to play, and being generous-spirited about it.

I hope it's not a case of, "If you don't take your opportunities, boy, this is what happens to you."

Revenge tactics? I certainly hope not. Particularly after the PR from HFC about the HFC letting him have a chance to go back to the WAFL to play, and being generous-spirited about it.

I hope it's not a case of, "If you don't take your opportunities, boy, this is what happens to you."

It's not the hawks - clubs in the WAFL are dirt poor (swans especially so) and if for one reason or another swans don't see him being a good fit for their club then others will need to come up with the transfer fee and that is where the problem will lay. Perth and one other club have left the door ajar but garlett hasn't even indicated if he wants to play footy anywhere ATM.

Unfortunately, DG didn't have the vision to see the opportunity he had:

Knuckle down, put in some hard yards and...premiership glory, honours, medals. 2014 could have been him living the dream - redemption for missing out. But he just couldn't do the hard yards. He could have just focused on 2014 - forget the years beyond.

Look at Anderson. That guy is mature well beyond his years. Rides the waves of bad fortune without any visible signs of care. Someone said he seems other-worldly - I agree.

Oh well, at least we won't have to deal with constant DG distractions now.

Anderson had to mature because he is a father.

Anderson had to mature because he is a father.

I think some have also forgotten that he too initially walked away from the game

For the record garlett is also a father

I didn't know that Dayle had actually played a game for us!!
Seriously HS...

509140-d5ffe0ba-b706-11e3-9942-d7dbb3111cd3.jpg

Could ex-Hawk Dayle Garlett be bound for WAFL club Perth? Picture: Michael Dodge/Getty Images Source: Getty Images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know that Dayle had actually played a game for us!!
Seriously HS...

Could ex-Hawk Dayle Garlett be bound for WAFL club Perth? Picture: Michael Dodge/Getty Images Source: Getty Images

The media are pathetic - the Age had a picture of Brad Hill on their site who they tried to pass off as Wanganeen. I emailed them about it, and the next I saw they had replaced the pic and caption with that of Cyril Rioli - in an article completely unrelated to him:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/new-faces-to-launch-hawks-premiership-defence-20140316-hvjcl.html

Nuffs.

Papers have been lodged for him to play at Dandaragan which is a country town 170kms south east of Perth.

Good to see he is going to be back playing - it's a start and hopefully helps

Papers have been lodged for him to play at Dandaragan which is a country town 170kms south east of Perth.

That's seriously a long way from AFL level. I played a few games in that league a few years ago - below A grade WAAFL amateurs. There's a few guns and ex afl players floating around (all on big $) and some strong bodies (its country footy) but there's a huge gap between the best and worst players on the ground.

He'll be on big $ but can't see it furthering his career. Although will be a test for his commitment if he wants to live in perth - drive every week will be 2-3.5 hours.

That's seriously a long way from AFL level. I played a few games in that league a few years ago - below A grade WAAFL amateurs. There's a few guns and ex afl players floating around (all on big $) and some strong bodies (its country footy) but there's a huge gap between the best and worst players on the ground.

He'll be on big $ but can't see it furthering his career. Although will be a test for his commitment if he wants to live in perth - drive every week will be 2-3.5 hours.

I would think he will move - lots of family down that way

Dandaragan is in the Central Midlands League . It north of Perth. Other teams include Jurien Bay, Cevantes, Moora and Lancelin.

Dandaragan is in the Central Midlands League . It north of Perth. Other teams include Jurien Bay, Cevantes, Moora and Lancelin.
Correct.
A 5 team league, that is not of a high quality

If he has gone there then its a massive drop from AFL

i reckon i could still play that league.
well my mind does, body couldn't

It's not just the young. My wife and I have watched as good happily married friends of ours in their forties have gone from casual users living in a huge beautiful home with three happy kids to total addicts, now unemployed, divorce and utter depression over about 8 to 10 years. What a waste.

Now that is tragic.

Dandaragan is north of Perth, approx 2hrs drive

Edit
Sorry, meant to quote your other post where you said that it is south east of Perth

I should of known that, I'm from the Midwest :oops:

I'm not even sure why I'm interested, but what type of money is big $? More than he'd be earning as a first year at the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back