Poor AFL Crowds *Worst in 20 years*

Why don't you attend matches

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct.

Game against GWS would have seen us writing a cheque to the stadium for 50k or more most likely. Balls.

Can't smoke, mid-strength beer, $10 cold pies, can't see half the game from most seats, no train service to my suburb, too cold, have a 50" TV.

I've never really been a big fan of attending games at Subiaco. I like watching amateur games live where I can pull my car up to the boundary fence, turn the heater on, and beep the horn when we kick a goal.

Hospitality jobs are on the rise nation wide
Hospitality, the common working week is Wednesday-Sunday
I have to book in 3 months in advance to get the day/night off to go to the footy

Add to that what others have said, people being priced out
FWIW, level 3, row X last Friday would have cost me $50
As much as I love my hawks, I'm not spending that much for a crap seat

For every home game in Melbourne, I know I have to spend about $400-$600 in flights and accommodation (country member so get into 5 games). It also doesn't help when most of our games are on a twilight Sunday, meaning that I'm having to book expensive early Monday flights just to get back to work if I don't take leave. I also saw that it cost $47 to book a seat with the Dogs section for the game in Canberra against GWS. WHY WOULD YOU PAY HALF THAT MUCH?!

If you think that's bad, then wait for the NRL figures. Only 9000 (and a snake) turned up to Robina tonight which would have been at least 5000 less than what they would have got on a Sunday or a Friday. The GF rematch (admittedly wet weather and Manly fans don't travel) only half filled the SFS. At least the problem we have is not uncommon.

Must say I am definitely a lot less passionate about the game then I was just even a few years ago. Stupid rule changes, crappy umpiring and a unneeded expansion probably contributed to my dissatisfaction. Plus subi is gash hurry up new perf stadium

Stadium deals are rubbish! Clubs aren't making enough money from games!

nek minnit

Ticket prices are too high! Families are getting ripped off!

FFS Victorians, make up your bloody minds.
You have a bee in your bonnet about Victorians, which is a bit silly, considering the biggest fall in crowds is happening in the expansion area the AFL is ploughing hundreds of millions of the dollars into.

GWS vs Sydney derby: lowest ever crowd
Sydney vs Collingwood @ ANZ: lowest ever crowd.

I love it.

There are 9 matches per round, each team will only get one of these slots every now and then.

"Every now and then"? When round 3 finishes Carlton will have played all its games in these time slots. Come round 10 we'll have played 6 games in these time slots with one bye.

We play Sunday 7 times
Friday 6 times
Thursday 2 times
Monday Once
And Saturday 5 times

Come round 23 I expect our match vs Ess to be played on a Tuesday at lunch time. Some of our biggest drawing games (v Coll, v Ess) are Sunday Night games (starting at 7.10pm).

Really depends on your perspective.

I would argue that:
-68k to a Thursday night game
-growing crowds at the expansion venues
-bumper first crowd at Adelaide Oval

are signs of a healthy competition, that other codes would kill for!

If we are going to focus on just 18 games so much (including with small number of games at MCG), then surely both sides should be discussed and considered :)

Really depends on your perspective.

I would argue that:
-68k to a Thursday night game
-growing crowds at the expansion venues
-bumper first crowd at Adelaide Oval

are signs of a healthy competition, that other codes would kill for!

If we are going to focus on just 18 games so much (including with small number of games at MCG), then surely both sides should be discussed and considered :)

They would've been happy with 68k. Sadly the figure was 62k (just)

I think the main problem right now is the AFL, for all their good business over the last decade during Demetriou's tenure, have finally crossed the line between "good for business" and "neglecting the fans". Their scheduling this year is far more driven by their business goals and appeasing networks than it is catering to the people that make the game what it is.

There's also the big issue of technology. The more ways there are to watch the game, combined with the increasing cost of actually attending, leaves many finding new ways to watch their team, and the AFL is sadly not up to scratch in searching for the happy medium. In fact, they haven't even started looking. Bet they do now, though.

It's crunch time for the AFL as complacency has set in, Demetriou is jumping ship and for the first time in my life i am fearful about it's future. We're approaching round 3 and there is no vibe, crowds are lousy, the Essendon V Hawthorn attendance was a huge disappointment. Something is not quite right, admission pricing, food pricing, scandals, fixturing, the tribunal, screwing around with the rules and now the absurdity of Auskick is all taking it's toll on the average football fan. The game is in strife.

I always wondered when this day would approach..I'm a WAFL person to the end and was furious when the Eagles entered the competition and literally cleaned out my beloved Claremont, and from that day back in the 80's I have never wanted to have much to do with footy. Now it's about fat cheques, tattoo's on every part of the body, tasteless scandals and god knows what else...footy is just the mechanism in this merry-go-round. I know I can go to the Aus Open and pay my $80 and sit for 7+ hrs and have a great day out...so for me, the value for money in AFL is simply not there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their scheduling this year is far more driven by their business goals and appeasing networks than it is catering to the people that make the game what it is.

People who watch on TV are fans too. Those who go to the game are actually a small minority of football fans. By catering to networks, what they are really doing are catering to those who prefer to watch from home, such as myself. Cricket has been this way for decades.

Obviously there is a balance to be struck because there's not much atmosphere in a game played in front of an empty stadium.

Last edited:
People who watch on TV are fans too. Those who go to the game are actually a small minority of football fans. By catering to networks, what they are really doing are catering to those who prefer to watch from home, such as myself. Cricket has been this way for decades.

Obviously there is a balance to be struck because there's not much atmosphere in a game played in front of an empty stadium.

Yes I know they're fans, but I think you misinterpret my point (or more pointedly I made it poorly). One of the AFL's great cultures is the trip to the footy, and they've effectively put measures in place that have seen the footy-going fan disadvantaged.

It's great to cater to the wide audience who watch from home, but you can't screw over the people who show up to the ground and then be shocked/disappointed when attendances are down. There has always been room for a happy medium, but a combination of things this year has seen it move away from that medium and further from the fans who attend games.

Time slots are the biggest issue for me. I've only missed a handful of Essendon games in Melbourne since 2002, but I'm contemplating not going this Sunday. I have to get up around 5.30 and simply don't fancy getting home around midnight or later. It's ludicrous.

Says the guy from the club with a clean stadium deal.

"Stadium deal is s**t, so lets hit the fans for more cash." would be more appropriate.

Also the guy from the club that pays more rent than any other club (except West Coast obviously), and has to pay significantly higher ticket prices than what Victorians are now complaining about.

One of the articles written was complaining about having to pay $60 for a premium seat. Spare me.

On that issue though, I just don't understand why clubs can't set their own admission prices. They get the bulk of the gate, and they know their supporter base better than anyone else. The AFL should stay out of it.

Last edited:
Also the guy from the club that pays more rent than any other club (except West Coast obviously), and has to pay significantly higher ticket prices than what Victorians are now complaining about.

One of the articles written was complaining about having to pay $60 for a premium seat. Spare me.

On that issue though, I just don't understand why clubs can't set their own admission prices. They get the bulk of the gate, and they know their supporter base better than anyone else. The AFL should stay out of it.

Supply and demand. In Perth there's 40k AFL seats available a week. There's a lot more in Melbourne. There just isn't enough demand to meet the supply.

If there was only one game in Melbourne a week, it'd be sold out many times over, just like they are in Perth.

"Every now and then"? When round 3 finishes Carlton will have played all its games in these time slots. Come round 10 we'll have played 6 games in these time slots with one bye.

We play Sunday 7 times
Friday 6 times
Thursday 2 times
Monday Once
And Saturday 5 times

Come round 23 I expect our match vs Ess to be played on a Tuesday at lunch time. Some of our biggest drawing games (v Coll, v Ess) are Sunday Night games (starting at 7.10pm).
So that's an issue with Carlton's particular mix, which can be fixed.

I am just sick of people whining about Thursday, Sunday or Monday night when for some people it's actually a really convenient time for footy to be on. Personally I absolutely love coming home from work on a Thursday or Monday and realising that there is sweet, sweet footy to watch.

Not everyone has a 9-5 job plus 2.3 kids, goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 5am. But apparently it's a crime against humanity if every single footy match isn't scheduled around this hypothetical family unit.

Last edited:
So that's an issue with Carlton's particular mix, which can be fixed.

I am just sick of people whining about Thursday, Sunday or Monday night when for some people it's actually a really convenient time for footy to be on. Personally I absolutely love coming home from work on a Thursday or Monday and realising that there is sweet, sweet footy to watch.

Not everyone has a 9-5 job plus 2.3 kids, goes to bet at 9pm and gets up at 5am. But apparently it's a crime against humanity if every single footy match isn't scheduled around this hypothetical family unit.

Fine mate. But how about some other clubs pick up the slack instead of leaving it to Carlton, Richmond and St Kilda every year? I wouldnt mind if other clubs rotated through and gave us a year off from the Monday night games. Seriously is the worst time slot when its your team.

Times are tough. People are losing their jobs, or working longer hours for less pay. Prices keep on rising and footy fans are being bled dry. Meanwhile footballers are walking out on their clubs and demanding $600,000 to $700,000 to $1,000,000 a year. This does nothing to boost interest amongst the rank and file supporters.
While I agree with much of your post, I have to take issue with this.

Times are not tough.

Wages have more than kept pace with inflation. The average Australian has a higher level of material wealth and disposable income than ever in our history. Unemployment has stayed at historic lows for years now. There are pockets of the country doing it harder than others, but by both historical and global standards we have it pretty much as easy as anyone, ever.

If anything I'd say part of the problem is that we have become a pack of spoilt brats, and the AFL has decided to brand and price its product accordingly.

However, as I say, I agree with almost everything else you say. Free agency and AFL-orchestrated schemes to lure players away from their clubs is a big problem. I still feel sick every time I see Ablett in Suns colours. Part of footy used to be that a guy like him would still be at the Cats and would go down in history as a great one-club player. If I had AFL level abilities I would play for the Cats and no-one else for whatever pay they were happy to give me. If the players themselves don't support their own club, why should the fans feel that way?

Fine mate. But how about some other clubs pick up the slack instead of leaving it to Carlton, Richmond and St Kilda every year? I wouldnt mind if other clubs rotated through and gave us a year off from the Monday night games. Seriously is the worst time slot when its your team.
You are aware that the AFL sets the schedule, right?

Generally in consultation with the relevant clubs. Are you sure Carlton didn't agree to this arrangement?

Personally I would love to see Monday night footy as a permanent thing, with every club playing on a Monday every now and then, and with careful scheduling so that when a club plays on a Monday they then play on a Sunday, then a Saturday.

I also think the AFL has to look at starting these games a tad earlier as a compromise. Seems silly that they finish quite so late. No reason games couldn't finish by (say) 9:45pm at the latest.

Back