Kennett : "Move Hawks to Tasmania"

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Hawks need a new home they should just go home, they have the land available to build a proper indoor facility they just need to knock over the Ferguson Stand which is going to happen anyway then knock over the weight-lifting center, lower the car park and build the facility over the vacant land.

As long as the new building was lower in height than the Michael Tuck stand and the train hill, i can't see a problem.

It would be like WC or Freo moving to Kalgoorlie...insane.

Bombermania said:
If the Hawks need a new home they should just go home, they have the land available to build a proper indoor facility they just need to knock over the Ferguson Stand which is going to happen anyway then knock over the weight-lifting center, lower the car park and build the facility over the vacant land.

As long as the new building was lower in height than the Michael Tuck stand and the train hill, i can't see a problem.
If the site was suitable In any way, the Hawks would never have left. Although the waverly deal was too hard to pass up for nothing.
The total truth is, you would not find one past or present player or administrator that would think Glenferrie was a suitable sized site for redevelopment.

Honestly if Hawthorn weren't as incredibly successful as they have been in the last decade and had North Melbourne like results, I could see them already in Launceston/just about to go. The problem is Hawthorn are doing just fine where they are and there is not even the slightest need for the team to relocate, now or anytime soon.

How so?

In most of the last 20 seasons Hawthorn have been in the top 4 for Victorian clubs for membership. Before they won the flag in '08 along with Essendon they were the only club not to post a financial loss since 1996.

...and yet a Tasmanian would make sense

Im talking about potential recruits who would look at Tassie ( if HFC were based there) and think " #### that..no way".

As boring and dull as Perth is most of the time, its a more desirable destination than Kalgoorlie.

Not really. Hawthorn are already 1/3rd a Tasmanian team. The suggestion by Kennet should be explored before being dismissed.

Kennett's head needs 'exploring'....electro shocks would be a good start.

But they don't need a new home they need a better home. In the space at Glenferrie you'd only be able to build facilities on par with Waverley and even then you'd have to do all the work you noted plus the oval would still be small. They need a bigger home like Essendon have done at the airport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe if the Hawks were struggling it could be a serious suggestion. But with Hawthorn's success and growing membership numbers I certainly can't see it happening anytime soon. Besides if Launceston were going to get an AFL team it should be their own and not a relocated side. But that's an argument for a different time in a different thread ;)

But they don't need a new home they need a better home. In the space at Glenferrie you'd only be able to build facilities on par with Waverley and even then you'd have to do all the work you noted plus the oval would still be small. They need a bigger home like Essendon have done at the airport.

Yes that is true but the airport wasn't Essendon's first option, they wanted to build the facility at Windy Hill but after the Bowling Club were unable or unwilling to relocate the Bombers needed to find a new home..

I suspect there is more land available for the Hawks to use than there was for the Bombers, the only real difference is that the Bombers can still play footy matches at Windy Hill as the crowd infrastructure is more up to date.

Yes that is true but the airport wasn't Essendon's first option, they wanted to build the facility at Windy Hill but after the Bowling Club were unable or unwilling to relocate the Bombers needed to find a new home..

I suspect there is more land available for the Hawks to use than there was for the Bombers, the only real difference is that the Bombers can still play footy matches at Windy Hill as the crowd infrastructure is more up to date.
Same restraints exist at Glenferrie/Grace Park.
The tennis club is older than the tennancy of the football club.
The orrigins of Hawthorns social club grew from the rooms of the Grace Park Tennis club.
Hawthorn would not attempt to over ride the Tennis club or the residents and the oval is tiny.
Over the years since 1973, the council has aquired land from the football reserve for road widening in Linda Cres, and also for pool and fitness centre at the Glenferrie road end.
The car park at the back of the Tuck stand is an old railway easment.
Nothing is going to happen at Glenferrie.

I wonder how many people on this thread are advocates of Tasmania getting its own AFL team? Why would Hawthorn relocating there be any different to them having a new team there?

The whole Windy Hill thing was a blessing is disguise. Go get a look around the new joint if you can. It's mind blowing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back