Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Did one of these last year and now that I'm on my uni break I'm gonna do another one this year. Up to the mods to decide how this will co-exist with the existing recruiting targets thread. Personally I think we should have separate threads for FA/trading and drafting, but that's just me.

This summary is restricted to realistic targets (ie no giving an 800k contract to Ben Reid or Jack Riewoldt) and who could come over this year (ie somebody like Aish or Toumpas might do a Polec at the end of his contract, but there's no way they'd get traded back now).

FREE AGENTS
B̶r̶y̶c̶e̶ ̶G̶i̶b̶b̶s̶ ̶(̶r̶e̶-̶s̶i̶g̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶l̶t̶o̶n̶)̶
Why? Gibbs is much-maligned, probably due to the expectation of being #1 in the same draft as Boak and Selwood, but at his best he's an elite midfielder. Excellent reader of the play, excellent kick, and despite public perception he can win a hard ball when he feels like it. Would walk into any team's best 18.

Why not? Although he is a good player overall, he's not much-maligned for no reason. Has a reputation for being inconsistent and a bit of a front-runner. You also wonder about the effect that signing up a big-name FA on a big contract could have on team morale, especially given Kern's team-first mantra which has served us so well.

Is it realistic? A month ago I would have said no, but the form of Carlton and the Crows are making it more realistic by the day. But Gibbs would have to be willing to take a smaller contract (not a small contract, but we wouldn't pay him exorbitantly like the Crows would) if he wanted to come here. I also think it's a mistake to assume that he'd only go to a South Australian team just because he's originally from SA. I think he'd be a perfect fit in Hawthorn's gameplan based on hard-running spread and clean disposal, for example, and if a team like Hawthorn made him a decent offer then Bryce would have a better opportunity for immediate success and the opportunity to stay in Victoria rather than uprooting the life he's had in Melbourne for 8 years, and that might keep him from ending up here.

Tyson Goldsack (re-signed with Collingwood)
Why? We do have some success bringing in under-appreciated role players in the past. Goldsack is experienced and versatile, and at 193cm he would at least add some height to our forward line even if he's not really a key forward. Playing Goldsack as a defensive forward might also free up Monfries to play the hard-running linkup HFF role that he played so successfully last year.

Why not? Is he that much better than what we already have? We've already re-signed Paul Stewart for two years, Goldsack is probably a slight upgrade on him at best. Is he worth what it would cost to bring him over? Personally I'd much rather spend that money on somebody like Shaun Higgins.

Is it realistic?
Very strong rumours coming out of Melbourne right now, so yes, it definitely is. Although there are also conflicting rumours going around that he's off to the Crows, or that he's about to re-sign with the Magpies, so who knows.

S̶h̶a̶n̶e̶ ̶E̶d̶w̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶(̶r̶e̶-̶s̶i̶g̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶R̶i̶c̶h̶m̶o̶n̶d̶)̶
Why? One a bit from left-field, but he'd be a sensible target. In 2012 he averaged 1.4 goals per game as a genuine crumbing forward (a position that we've been trying in vain to fill for what seems like forever) while also finishing top 10 in the AFL for goal assists. He's slowed down a bit since then, but his 2012 season shows that the ability is there, and we seem to be making a habit of getting the best out of Richmond players. He wouldn't come at a huge cost either. Depending on the form of guys like Sam Gray and Jake Neade, he's a left-field target who I could see us chasing in much the same way that we did Matt White. Still only 25 too, so he has plenty of football ahead of him.

Why not? He had a bloody good season in 2012, but to be honest that really was his one and only good season at AFL level. Maybe he was just affected with that strange malaise that seems to be affecting Richmond's midrange players at the moment, but it's also possible that he played above himself in 2012 and he won't reach that level again.

Is it realistic? We seem to love obscure pick-ups like this. Edwards is from SA originally and is stagnating at Richmond. He might see what his old mate Matt White has achieved at the Power and think he'd love to do the same.

Nick Malceski
Why? Probably this year's All Australian half back. Guys like Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea and Impey all certainly have AFL quality attributes, but they're also all inconsistent and at least one of them always seems to be a common suggestion to go out in our changes thread every week. Having an experienced leader like Malceski around for 2-3 years would not only approve our backline in the short term, but it would give our mostly young and inexperienced half backs one of the very best in the game to learn from over that time.

Why not? You could argue that we shouldn't be spending the amount of money it would cost to get Malceski on a 30 year old half back flanker. I personally wouldn't argue that, but I'm sure some would.

Is it realistic? All the talk is that he's going to be a victim of the salary cap squeeze at Sydney. All the talk also seems to be that he'll go home to Victoria, probably to play under his old coach at Melbourne, but if we put an offer in we'd be an attractive destination for a player to serve out his twilight years. Guaranteed best 22 spot at a club which looks like a premiership contender over the next couple of years, and with a coach who has shown unwavering loyalty to older players (see Dom Cassisi).

Shaun Higgins

Why? One of the most frustrating players in the AFL, has struggled with injury and consistency over his career, but his best is sublime. He's looked to be over his injury problems and back to that best form in recent weeks (great Dream Team pickup too, if I may toot my own horn). Still, after so many frustrating years at the Bulldogs, he might be looking for a change of scenery. I think he'd benefit from Darren Burgess, and his skills and versatility would make him a very useful player in Kern's gameplan.

Why not? He's one of the most injury prone players in the AFL. We'd probably have to give him a pretty attractive contract to convince him to jump ship and head to SA, and that would be a lot of money tied up at the mercy of his troublesome ankles and hamstrings.

Is it realistic? Don't see why not, although the Bulldogs have a pretty good recent record at retaining players who they want to retain. It might cost more than we'd be willing to pay though, and I imagine that if Shaun was considering leaving the Dogs we'd have plenty of other clubs after his signature to compete with.

TRADE TARGETS
Lewis Johnston
Why? More than enough has already been said on this board documenting our struggles for a tall forward. When he's on, Lewis is a bloody good tall forward. Has kicked 15 goals in 7 games for the Crows since returning from a knee injury last year. One of the better set shot kicks in the AFL, so he's the type of player who can have an impact even with limited chances. Also still only 23, so could have plenty of time left at AFL level.

Why not? While he's a very good pure goalkicker, he does have his flaws. He's a bit one dimensional, and he can be lazy and inconsistent at times. Then again, pretty much everything bad that you could say about Johnston at the Crows you could've said doubly about Schulz at Richmond, and look how that turned out.

Is it realistic? Possibly. He can't be happy with getting stuck playing for the Calves while Sando's old Geelong mate J-Plod has a gold pass into the seniors (pun intended), he's from SA so if he was going to move we'd be a likely destination, and he's good mates with Jared Polec. Of course, the difficulty would come with dealing with our crosstown rivals at the trade table, unless they delisted him and we could get him as a DFA.

Mitch Robinson?
Why? The hardest of hard nuts. With Tom Logan potentially on the way out (a 29 year old getting 3 AFL games all year isn't a good sign), we could be looking at another hard nut. Can also accumulate a bit of the ball, and kick a goal or two when he plays up forward.

Why not? Absolutely dumb as dog s**t both on and off the field. Decision making is awful. Potential to be a bad influence on our young group (although from the outside looking in we seem to run a tighter ship and have a better player culture than Carlton ATM).

Is it realistic? Carlton are publicly offering him for trade, and we had a crack last year. He'd come cheaper than this time last year, so Ken may still be interested. Wouldn't be one of my first choices personally, but it's definitely a realistic possibility.

Patrick Ryder
Why? Probably the single best ruck/forward in the game. This wouldn't just be papering over the cracks of our biggest weakness, it would be turning it into one of our biggest strengths over night. And just in time for our premiership window. Depending on how the Essendon players seeking to leave as DFA's situation goes down, we might even be able to get him for free. Perfection.

Why not? The risk of a lengthy ASADA ban I guess.

Is it realistic? Ryder and his wife are reportedly coming down to Alberton very soon to tour our facilities. We're on his radar. If he wants to leave Essendon, Brisbane and GWS may have more money to offer him, but we have the lure of potential premiership(s). And you know we'll go after him with absolutely everything we've got given how important a player like Ryder would be for our premiership chances. There's a lot of water to go under the bridges, a lot of ifs and buts, but it's a definite possibility. And it would be a significant enough signing that, without hyperbole, it could easily be the difference between the Power being also-rans or premiers over the next few years.

Jon Griffin
Why? Fits the profile of 'depth ruck' perfectly. Isn't such a star that he's above playing state league, but is more than capable of playing good football at AFL level when called upon. Would come cheaper than a younger option and is more proven than most of them, both of which are advantages for what we need.

Why not? Doesn't have the upside of a Lycett or a Gorringe. Although with Lobbe and Redden already on the list, you question whether we need a player with that sort of upside.

Is it realistic? He's been linked with a move back to SA, and not for the first time. His past history with the Crows could make them a draw, but our current form could be a bigger draw for him than the prospect of returning to his old club.

Daniel Gorringe
Why? Top 10 draft pick in his draft year, from SA, talented but has struggled to fulfill his potential due to injuries, would probably get more opportunity here than at his current club. Definitely the sort of player who we've targeted in the past. He's a ruck/forward, so fills a need that we badly need to fill.

Why not?
Injury prone and can be a bit soft when he has been given chances. You'd hope we could stamp that out of his game under our system, but some people can't be taught.

Is it realistic?
Contracted, but rumoured to want to come back home. If he did, why wouldn't he want to come back to a club that seems a certain finalist and possible top 4 finisher despite having the third youngest list in the competition, not to mention our GC connection with Hinkley and Hart already at the club?

Luke Russell
Why? Talented young utility who can play forward or back. Would fit nicely into Kern's gameplan given his quickness, his skills, his flexibility, and his strong two-way running. Is also a good sub option who can come on and make an impact, so I'm sure Aaron Young would appreciate us signing him.

Why not? Flankers aren't exactly a position of need for us right now, and while he's a talented player who has been decent at AFL level so far he also hasn't really set the world on fire. You may also remember him as the guy who kicked the winner when the GC got their first AFL win. And let us never speak of that little detail again.

Is it realistic? Both SA clubs are apparently interested in him. If he was to come to one of them, it's difficult to see why he wouldn't pick the Power given the relative positions of the clubs right now and his prior connection with Kern from when Kern was an assistant at Gold Coast. But personally if I was a young player who was best 22 at the Gold Coast, I wouldn't be in a hurry to leave, because there are premierships in that list. That said, you could say the same about our list.

Jeremy Cameron

Why? lol

Why not? He would cost an absolute arm and a leg. Somebody like Hartlett and our first rounder at an absolute minimum, probably more. Not to mention that we'd probably be paying him 7 figures or close to it. It would be a trade that would have the potential to significantly affect the tight-knit, teamfirst culture that we've spent so long fostering. But Cameron is so good that it might just be worth it.

Is it realistic? Rumours from numerous sources that Jeremy wants out of GWS and his preferred destination is an SA team or Geelong, so he can go back to his country town home on off days. He's still under contract though. I just could not see GWS trading Cameron unless they absolutely, positively had to. And I don't know if I could see Ken and his team-first attitude going to the extent that we'd have to go to to get him here.

Jonathan Giles
Why? Fits the mould of 'back-up ruckman/third forward' we're looking for, and he wouldn't cost the earth. Probably a better fit for us than somebody like Griffin due to his ability to go forward pretty effectively. Also still only in his mid-20's, so he should have a few years left.

Why not?
Should we be aiming higher? Giles is AFL quality, but you question whether he's good enough to ever get a regular game in a premiership side.

Is it realistic?
Has publicly stated that he's looking for a trade. If he returns to SA, we would hopefully be a more attractive option than our cross-town rivals. Redden's injuries should give him plenty of time to establish a spot in our best 22 if he believes in himself. Would be my next best option if we don't end up with Ryder.

Adam Tomlinson
Why? This is a weird thing to say about a club that only has 6 wins in its history, but he's probably at the only club in the AFL where he wouldn't be a best 22 lock. Tomlinson is an excellent hard-working marking CHF. Plays a bit like Monfries does for us, but he's tall enough that he'd drag a key defender all around the ground with him.

Why not? He'd cost our first rounder and probably more. Can't think of any possible other reason. And he's easily worth our first rounder and more, so it's not much of a reason.

Is it realistic? It's definitely realistic that he'll leave. Game time for key forwards will be hard to come by at GWS with Cameron, Patton and Boyd, and a player of Tomlinson's quality doesn't deserve to be left on the outer. But he's from Victoria, and if he did decide he wanted out he'd have teams like Carlton and the Saints (who will have better trade bait than us in terms of draft picks) clambering over themselves to give him a massive contract. Not sure it's realistic that we'll have the trade bait to lure him over, or to convince him to come here in the first place when he'll probably have all 10 clubs in his home state after his signature.

Luke Lowden
Why? Cheap back-up ruckman, just like about half the options on this list. Is a very, very, very big boy.

Why not? Has only played one game at AFL level. It was a good game, but one game in the 5 or 6 years he's been on a list is not flattering. He probably has more upside than a Griffin or Giles type, but also has more potential to be a total bust.

Is it realistic?
We've already been publicly linked to him, which is rare this far away from trade week, especially for a non South Australian. He would probably come very cheap. One of the more realistic options.

Sam Grimley
Why? See Luke Lowden. Not quite as tall, but has the advantage of being more of a genuine forward/ruck than just a ruck who can go forward if he has to, which probably suits our needs more. Won the VFL equivalent of the Coleman/Ken Farmer.

Why not? See Lowden again.

Is it realistic? Don't see why not. We know we're looking for a ruck/forward type, we know our scouts have been scouting Box Hill games, and I'd imagine that at least one if not both of Lowden and Grimley will seek more opportunities elsewhere.

Jack Trengove

Why? Was an absolute gun as a junior, to the point where we tried to give up picks 8 and 9 just to get a chance to draft him. Hasn't come along as he would've hoped at Melbourne, but he's been a hell of a lot better than somebody like Polec was at Brisbane and look how that turned out. The athleticism he had as a junior seems to have deserted him, but if anybody can sort that out, it's Darren Burgess.

Why not? Has he been irreversibly Melbourned?

Is it realistic? It's not often you'd say that it's realistic that a #2 pick who captained his side as recently as last year might be traded while he still has a year left on his contract, but Jack's fall from grace has been so severe that Melbourne might try to get something of value from him while they still can. It would still cost at least a first rounder, but given Melbourne's failures in developing Jack and our record with turning around the careers of gun juniors whose careers have floundered, Jack returning home to SA to join the Power and the Dees cutting their losses and trying again through the draft could be a win/win/win for player and for both clubs.

UPDATE: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-04-15/trengove-set-to-miss-rest-of-2014-season. Unfortunate for Jack, but if he wants to get out of Melbourne his market value just went down.

Levi Greenwood
Why? We can at times struggle against teams with a lot of big bodied midfielders. Levi is a very hard worker who knows how to rack up stats playing in the guts, and would help lock down the clearances in those all too frequent periods when we go to sleep and start getting smashed out of the middle for 5-10 minutes. Would be an instant replacement for Cassisi, and at this stage is probably a better AFL footballer than the likes of Moore and Newton.

Why not? His skills aren't exactly A-grade. He might struggle with our highly skilled gameplan. While he is a better player right now than the likes of Moore and Newton, those two have more upside, and bringing him in might delay their development.

Is it realistic? Out of contract former Port Adelaide Magpie who would fill a need for us and who we've inquired about in the past. I'm sure we'll chase him, but it might be too late after his form has significantly improved in 2014. North will now be very keen to hang on to him.

Ben Griffiths (re-signed with Richmond)
Why? Yet another option to shore up our tall forward stocks, Ben is a top 20 draft pick who can play forward, back or give a chopout in the ruck. Has only shown glimpses at this stage rather than any real consistent performance, but that's hardly a death knell for the career of a young key forward who is yet to play his 30th game. Stands at 200cm, is a strong mark and a booming kick.

Why not? Is he any better than what we already have in Butcher? Has kicked 6.9 from 10 AFL games this season, including only 2 goals from his last 7 games. Can't hurt to have multiple options.

Is it realistic? C4[2]Yo`DooR tells us that he's having problems with Brendon Lade who is an assistant coach at Richmond, and if C4 says it then it's probably true given his track record. If this leads to him seeking a trade, Port are certainly a realistic option. We're publicly in the market for tall forwards, Griffiths fits the mould of the sort of player we've targeted in recent years as a high draft pick who hasn't quite gotten it together at his current club, and you'd think that any outgoing Tigers would be thinking strongly about Port Adelaide as a destination given our success with Rodan, Schulz and White. There will be lots of competition for his signature if he does decide to look elsewhere though.

Rhys Stanley
Why? Tall, athletic KPP who is far quicker than a man of his size has any right to be. Has played as a key forward, a key back and as a ruck for the Saints. His best position is probably up forward, where he'd give us another tall option in a position where we're sorely lacking depth.

Why not? Have a look at his career stats. Doesn't have the footy brain to match his athleticism. Although to his credit he has improved in 2014.

Is it realistic? A quibble about second rounder versus a third rounder was the only reason Rhys Stanley didn't become a Port player last year. We could go after Stanley again this off-season since we haven't yet addressed that hole in our list. However, his improved form this year might mean that the Saints would want even more than they did last year.

Scott Lycett (re-signed with West Coast)
Why? Lycett has taken his time adjusting to AFL level as most ruckmen do, but has started to hit some strong form in 2014 when given the opportunity. Is a former Port Magpie, and would instantly slot into our side and fill our need for a second ruck/third forward.

Why not? His form upswing and the retirement of Dean Cox will make him very difficult to trade for. West Coast won't let him go without a fight.

Is it realistic? If he was to go anywhere, it'd probably be here. He's a former Port Magpie, his best mate Sam Gray plays ehre, and there are opportunities for a ruck forward. But with Cox retiring, he may decide his career is best served by staying at the Eagles.

MAGPIES TARGETS
Steven Summerton
Why? It'd make a great OneClub story for Steven to go from a Facebook rant against pr0t power est 1996 in 2013 to the captain of the Power reserves side in 2014 and a Power player in 2015. He's in fantastic form at SANFL level, and he'd probably be capable of playing to a decent standard at AFL level too.

Why not? While he's a very good all round midfielder, a guy his height needs to be more than just a good all round midfielder at AFL level, and Summo doesn't necessarily have the stand out attribute that a guy his side would need to make it long-term in the AFL. He's also 26, so best case scenario he'd only have a few years of football left in him.

Is it realistic? I had to mention him given his current form and his standing at the Magpies, but probably not. At 26 his chance to play AFL football may have passed him by. If our list still looked like it did in 2011 then maybe, but I'm not sure he'd give us anything that younger players like Young, Moore and Newton don't already give us, and those guys are on the fringe of our 22. But imagine the potential for a feel good story if we did pick him.

Jake Johansen
Why? Despite his youth, he's stood out every time I've watched the Magpies play. Very quick and nippy crumbing forward with good skills and good goal sense.

Why not? You could argue, and I'm sure some will, that we already have too many of his type. But none of them have established themselves at AFL level, and Johansen looks to have more talent and upside than all of them.

Is it realistic? He's probably the most likely Magpie to end up on our list, and the only one we'd consider taking in the ND rather than rookie drafting. Personally I'd love to see it happen.

Ben Haren
Why? Big lad standing at 198cm who has been the Mr Fix-It for the Magpies this year. Is a capable footballer up forward, down back or even pinch-hitting in the ruck. Good mark, a strong athlete for his size, and has better skills than your average big man.

Why not? Might not have the upside to ever really lock in a best 22 spot. Form fell away in the second half of the year.

Is it realistic? He was rookie listed by Sydney in the past, so we wouldn't be the first club to see AFL potential in him, and we've been keen to sign up Magpies in recent years. Could be an option to stick on the rookie list as a break glass in case of injuries KPP. His value in that role would be his versatility. Schulz gets injured? Upgrade Haren to play as an athletic key forward. Trengove gets injured? Upgrade Haren to play as the 195cm+ defender we lack without Trengove. Lobbe gets injured? I dunno if Haren could play first ruck, but he could pinch-hit behind Redden and free up Westhoff and Trengove to do what they do best. However, his falling out of favour in the second half of the year may count against him. Unless of course we were hiding him ...

Nathan Krakouer
Why? His best football was played a long time ago, but he'll be 26 at the start of next season, which could be enough time to get it back. The Nathan Krakouer who we saw briefly in the 2009 season would slot in to Ken's run and gun gamestyle nicely.

Why not? lol

Is it realistic? Might have burnt too many bridges. Might have left his run to get back to AFL level too late (especially considering his fitness troubles). Might not be good enough to make our much improved list. But hey, we forgave him enough to give him a speculative Magpies spot, maybe if he has a good year we'd consider redrafting him for another shot in a Power guernsey?

Last edited:

GWS would lose a ton of leverage if he's not getting games though.

GWS would lose a ton of leverage if he's not getting games though.

And they'd gain it back when every man and their dog threw their first round pick at them. Unless he specifically nominated us (which is unlikely when he has 10 clubs in his home state to pick from he'd have to pick us over) our first rounder only wouldn't be enough.

And they'd gain it back when every man and their dog threw their first round pick at them. Unless he specifically nominated us (which is unlikely when he has 10 clubs in his home state to pick from he'd have to pick us over) our first rounder only wouldn't be enough.

3-way trade could work.

Tomlinson to PORT
Martin to GWS
Hitchcock to RICHMOND

3-way trade could work.

Tomlinson to PORT
Martin to GWS
Hitchcock to RICHMOND

I think we also need Richmonds 3rd round pick to make it fair.

Also, when I read Shane Edwards I thought you said Shaun Edwards made me lol due to the events of last years trade period.

For me, from the suggestions you offer:

1. Stanley
2. Jack Trengove
3. Tomlinson
4. Gibbs
5. Greenwood

Lycett comes in at #6.

Wouldn't mind a Dixon or a Day if they were extras at GC either.
If either of them work out, can we swap draft picks for cash? Keep our first rounder for the next few years, then sell off the rest haha.

Having a few tonight in town and my Melb mates are suddenly thinking port can make the 8 - maybe even the 4. Eeeegad - shock horror lads haha.
Anyway, the most blessed (that's bless space ed) part is that two of them were Collingwood supporters - both of which didn't, of course, see last years final pantsing coming to them, despite my warnings beforehand!

Relevant again...love it.

I'd like to see Ben Haren have a good year, if he can play forward he could give us some depth in the vital KPF role. He is 198 cm and 92 kg so maybe a bit light on but still we just need someone to do a job give us a bit of depth up forward, not the next incarnation of Warren Tredrea.

Same with Scott Lycett of the WCE. I'd like us to make him an offer and see what happens.

Basically we're fine in the midfield and fine in defence, we are very skinny with KPF's and Rucks so that's where we need to be focusing our recruitment in the next few years. That's what it seems to me anyway. It comes down to that old philosophical question every recruiter faces- do we recruit the best available, or do we recruit for needs?

Clearly at Port Adelaide we're recruiting for needs given what we picked up in 2013- Ken asked for speed and we got speed. I guess our 2014 intake will work the same way, ask Ken what he wants and give it to him.

But also, we are now a pretty attractive destination for footballers you would think. I mean, Adelaide is never going to be a glamour lifestyle place but if you're a footyhead player who wants to get the absolute best out of yourself and aren't feeling too sure about your team's direction and you're thinking of a change, you'd surely want your agent to give us a call. If Bryce Gibbs had footy nous instead of fashion sense he'd be thinking along these lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of those Tomlinson would be a great get. Is he good enough to trade a first rounder for - say if it's between pick 12 and 18?

He'd be a great get, a pick between 12 - 18 would be nowhere near enough for him though

Watching Stanley in yesterday's game has put me off him indefinitely.

Thought the same thing. Never mind never tear us apart, never bring us together.

The more i think about it the only reason i think I would really want Bryce Gibbs is to get one over the Crows. And that really isnt enough of a reason to get a player.

Right now is Bryce Gibbs any better then Matthew Broadbent? They would be playing the same role. I hate the term "Moneyball" in AFL context but I know i would much rather Broady on $300K (estimate) then Gibbs on $5-600K.

Ideally we would be looking to get our hands on Sam Day as he looks ready to explode. But sadly I cannot envisage a scenario where that is possible at the moment.

The more i think about it the only reason i think I would really want Bryce Gibbs is to get one over the Crows. And that really isnt enough of a reason to get a player.

Right now is Bryce Gibbs any better then Matthew Broadbent? They would be playing the same role. I hate the term "Moneyball" in AFL context but I know i would much rather Broady on $300K (estimate) then Gibbs on $5-600K.

Ideally we would be looking to get our hands on Sam Day as he looks ready to explode. But sadly I cannot envisage a scenario where that is possible at the moment.
Nailed it.
Gibbs is a classy player and while you can never have enough, we need to address needs. For the money and energy we'd throw at him, ultimately to only dislodge someone already playing that role very well (Broadbent), we would be better off turning our attention to a long term replacement for Schulz and Westhoff when they retire, especially while our three younger KPFs are yet to confirm their AFL quality.

Ben Haren
Why? Big lump of a lad standing at 198cm who has been the Mr Fix-It for the Magpies this year. Is a capable footballer up forward, down back or even pinch-hitting in the ruck. Good mark, a strong athlete for his size, and has better skills than your average big man.
This i like ;)

Although things could change between now and the end of the season Trengove, Tomlinson and Haren are the only ones I would go after on that list.

Most of those guys listed wouldn't be in our best 22 and the money spent on Gibbs would be better put towards a KPP, particularly one that has runs on the board in terms of being an AFL forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back