2nds VFL Round 2 - Casey v Geelong, Casey Fields, 2:00PM Sunday 13 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Fave one I heard.

When interviewed by Melbourne, it was commented that his hair and ear-ring made him look "soft".

Grundy's response; "well, I'd fit right in with your midfield then".

I checked the Collingwood board and they posted that one as well so, if nothing else, it makes for good posting. :D

A good response if you do not want to get drafted to that particular club.

I know you meant JJ Jon but I should would have like KK. He looks a ripper , as if Gold Coast need another good kid. Jansen is almost the modern version of Corey , who was very big back when he was drafted.

I am losing it of late - yes JJ not KK.

I would really like Wells to keep a list of his top 3 picks (that is picks 1, 2 and 3) if he had them. Just to see who he really rated - even though he will never see such early picks over his whole career !

I feel that having the first few picks in the draft would give him less freedom to pick to with his gut. The pressure on himself and the club to pick up the consensus and hyped up players would be immense and put them under impossible risk should he over look them. It seems contradictory but he has a larger pool of talent to pick from with pick 15 than he would with a top 3 pick.

Perhaps L10. But as it is a hypothetical quest - just say pick on your gut the best 3. But yes he has less pressure on him in the sense he never has a high draft pick and some freedom probably comes from that.

Perhaps L10. But as it is a hypothetical quest - just say pick on your gut the best 3. But yes he has less pressure on him in the sense he never has a high draft pick and some freedom probably comes from that.

Not having seen it so it only my gut feeling , but he is at his best in the 20-50 range. Lets face it , the top 20 go close to picking themselves and maybe he has so much knowledge on these 20-50 players he may end up using a 15-20 pick on one that would last till 20-30.

Really it seem to me a bit like a good jockey getting the best out of an average horse. Put the good jockey on a great horse and he needs less tricks , just need to not stuff up. So the pressure with the early picks is just that. "Dont stuff up" , so who can really break from the perceived truth. Its OK once the community starts to go off a player like Butcher , but when most think x is the player to pick and if you stray from that watch out. I wonder who we would have picked with #1 pick in 2006. We got the best player at 7 but who would we have picked as 1? Selwood or Gibbs?
We have seen debate on our board about Dunstan V Lang. Imagine If he had #1 in the last draft , and he and the club trust his judgement and in his judgement Kade Kolodjashnij was the #1 pick , boy thats starting to really push the "dont stuff it up" leaving Boyd on the table.

Last edited:
Ran out of phone battery at the game.

The more I see of JJ and JK the more i'm convinced they will play a lot of games for Geelong, probably starting within the next 2 months. That was the first I'd seen of Lang and seemed pretty quiet for the most part but I think that was his first game since breaking his leg? but was in and under tackling pretty hard. So, will take some time to find his legs again, pun intended. He did show a moment of what he could when he found some space in the last qtr and kicked a behind on the run, looked dangerous in the open.

It's early but i'm picking JJ play 200 games. might not have been in the best but he is a clearance machine which will only improve. Saw hime get it out of the centre and some stoppages quite a few time. I usually don't really like to make the comparison between new players and past champions ie 'new draftee X' is the new 'Geelong Champion Y' but I really do see a LOT of JC in JJ. He's a clearance machine, big body in the pack. He'll play seniors sooner rather later, ready-built.

Thurlow was pretty good today I thought too, especially in the last qtr playing more back line, took some great marks and uses the ball well.

Schroder really good again, he would be getting AFL games at most other clubs, just not sure he cracks into ours with so much depth in midfield youth? I see him getting traded at years end, probably at his request for opportunities, deservedly so.

Hartman being played a lot more in the midfield, definitely shows some moment of brilliance but doesn't seem to have the tank to get the ball enough, hopefully this improves throughout the year. Has talent. Bourke looks ok too, seemed good overhead through halfback and has some toe also.

I've been a big knocker of Walker and while he didn't really have the marking impact in this game, was pretty windy and was double teamed a fair bit, he still brought the ball to ground at every contest and still bobbed up with 3 goals. Probably deserves a run at seniors soon.

I'll start by saying this isn't directed at you SS, just discussing your points one by one.

The more I see of JJ and JK the more i'm convinced they will play a lot of games for Geelong, probably starting within the next 2 months. That was the first I'd seen of Lang and seemed pretty quiet for the most part but I think that was his first game since breaking his leg? but was in and under tackling pretty hard. So, will take some time to find his legs again, pun intended. He did show a moment of what he could when he found some space in the last qtr and kicked a behind on the run, looked dangerous in the open.

Agree they both look promising. But they'll need more time and I just can't see spots opening up for them. Not unless we get further injuries. Be very interesting to see how they develop over the coming months. I give Kolojdashnij a better chance as they rotate Lonergan / Rivers / Mackie for a game or two, but still not sure.

Thurlow was pretty good today I thought too, especially in the last qtr playing more back line, took some great marks and uses the ball well.

Totally agree. He looked terrific at the end I thought. Almost a class above.

Schroder really good again, he would be getting AFL games at most other clubs, just not sure he cracks into ours with so much depth in midfield youth? I see him getting traded at years end, probably at his request for opportunities, deservedly so.

Good point, I think that reflects the first point with Jansen too. I just don't see a spot being given to either of them right now. We've still got Motlop and Christensen as absolutely certain inclusions to come back too.

Hartman being played a lot more in the midfield, definitely shows some moment of brilliance but doesn't seem to have the tank to get the ball enough, hopefully this improves throughout the year. Has talent. Bourke looks ok too, seemed good overhead through halfback and has some toe also.

Not overly impressed with Hartman to be honest, at least not yet. He's very young of course, but really can't see what the fuss is about so far.

I've been a big knocker of Walker and while he didn't really have the marking impact in this game, was pretty windy and was double teamed a fair bit, he still brought the ball to ground at every contest and still bobbed up with 3 goals. Probably deserves a run at seniors soon.

Same problem as above. No doubt at all about his efforts or enthusiasm, and kicked a good goal in the first into a tricky wind and then pounced well with two off the ground. But I'm not sure his skills are still up to it at the top level. In any case, who is going to make way? Right now we're only playing one key forward in Hawkins and he's still not getting a run.

All very good points though. :thumbsu:

Ran out of phone battery at the game.

It's early but i'm picking JJ play 200 games. might not have been in the best but he is a clearance machine which will only improve. Saw hime get it out of the centre and some stoppages quite a few time. I usually don't really like to make the comparison between new players and past champions ie 'new draftee X' is the new 'Geelong Champion Y' but I really do see a LOT of JC in JJ. He's a clearance machine, big body in the pack. He'll play seniors sooner rather later, ready-built.

Yes I can see Schroder elsewhere but I doubt it will be thru meaningful trade. Is he out of contract? He will either walk FA or be traded for pick #248 or something useless. FA has decreased the value of fringe players in trade. If he was bundled perhaps( with a bit of $$ encentive) but otherwize just like last year with the Vets I see us giving another team a best 22 player for charity. He would be pushing for games at Carlton, Melb and Brisbane thats for sure. In a way I see a similarity between Schroder being replaced by Caddy to when Prismall struggled for a spot then got usurped by the better player arriving in Selwood . His spot has gone to Caddy, a slightly better version of himself. Unless he can do something to elevate his game he will not be at Geelong next year. He is not alone , GHS had to work very hard for his chance. Really there is a spot for a clever goal kicker right now. If he could do 2 to 3 goals a week in the VFL to his game who knows(Tough ask)Again, it was what GHS has done.

As far as Jansen , said as much in another post. He is a modern version of Corey, who was a big mid when he was drafted. We should get him games this year somehow , perhaps as a sub ...as long as his body stands up. Geelong will be very careful on that front.
JakeK will be treated that way as well , he may get a game or two towards the end of the year , when resting the "oldies"..of course thats as long as no unforseen issue occurs. Rivers played his best game for Geelong last week. Just in time imo Was it a match up , opposition who knows but Rivers will get more time this year im sure. Kolo has plenty of time.

On Walker, he would be good to fit in somehow, but it makes it tough with both rucks playing. Cant afford to be too big/too immobile in the forwardline but he offers the chance of big man marks and "pack whacks". He hits it harder than Hawk does these days. Worth considering , Hawks have shown a chink to big men who can mark before.

Hartman.. On ball... cant see that working in AFL. Work in progress.

What did you think of Linton and Fort? Future chances?

I'll start by saying this isn't directed at you SS, just discussing your points one by one.

Agree they both look promising. But they'll need more time and I just can't see spots opening up for them. Not unless we get further injuries. Be very interesting to see how they develop over the coming months. I give Kolojdashnij a better chance as they rotate Lonergan / Rivers / Mackie for a game or two, but still not sure.

Totally agree. He looked terrific at the end I thought. Almost a class above.

Good point, I think that reflects the first point with Jansen too. I just don't see a spot being given to either of them right now. We've still got Motlop and Christensen as absolutely certain inclusions to come back too.

Not overly impressed with Hartman to be honest, at least not yet. He's very young of course, but really can't see what the fuss is about so far.

Same problem as above. No doubt at all about his efforts or enthusiasm, and kicked a good goal in the first into a tricky wind and then pounced well with two off the ground. But I'm not sure his skills are still up to it at the top level. In any case, who is going to make way? Right now we're only playing one key forward in Hawkins and he's still not getting a run.

All very good points though. :thumbsu:

Like Rioli, has a lot of flash when it goes off. Just not seen very often - although Cyril is more consistent than Hartman. Will be hard to choose bw him and Schredder at years end if we have to….
Go Catters

On Walker, he would be good to fit in somehow, but it makes it tough with both rucks playing. Cant afford to be too big/too immobile in the forwardline but he offers the chance of big man marks and "pack whacks". He hits it harder than Hawk does these days. Worth considering , Hawks have shown a chink to big men who can mark before.

True. But in that case he absolutely must take those marks. Still don't think we'll see any changes this week.

Yes I can see Schroder elsewhere but I doubt it will be thru meaningful trade. Is he out of contract? He will either walk FA or be traded for pick #248 or something useless. FA has decreased the value of fringe players in trade. If he was bundled perhaps( with a bit of $$ encentive) but otherwize just like last year with the Vets I see us giving another team a best 22 player for charity. He would be pushing for games at Carlton, Melb and Brisbane thats for sure. In a way I see a similarity between Schroder being replaced by Caddy to when Prismall struggled for a spot then got usurped by the better player arriving in Selwood . His spot has gone to Caddy, a slightly better version of himself. Unless he can do something to elevate his game he will not be at Geelong next year. He is not alone , GHS had to work very hard for his chance. Really there is a spot for a clever goal kicker right now. If he could do 2 to 3 goals a week in the VFL to his game who knows(Tough ask)Again, it was what GHS has done.

As far as Jansen , said as much in another post. He is a modern version of Corey, who was a big mid when he was drafted. We should get him games this year somehow , perhaps as a sub ...as long as his body stands up. Geelong will be very careful on that front.
JakeK will be treated that way as well , he may get a game or two towards the end of the year , when resting the "oldies"..of course thats as long as no unforseen issue occurs. Rivers played his best game for Geelong last week. Just in time imo Was it a match up , opposition who knows but Rivers will get more time this year im sure. Kolo has plenty of time.

Hartman.. On ball... cant see that working in AFL. Work in progress.

What did you think of Linton and Fort? Future chances?

Having read the Hawks thread about the game, I found it interesting that there were several references to be happy that Pods won't be there crashing packs and "putting his knees right thru the backs of the defenders". Hawk aside, there really is no other imposing crash and bash type currently that has that in their game. Daws would be the closest if pushed forward. It would be most like Pods in that respect if we are looking for that…

GO Catters

Like Rioli, has a lot of flash when it goes off. Just not seen very often - although Cyril is more consistent than Hartman. Will be hard to choose bw him and Schredder at years end if we have to….
Go Catters

Not often I totally disagree with you Daz but comparing Hartman and Riolli is not something id have thought of. Riolli has just so much excitement factor.Hartman a much bigger player. Even if we compare very good players it would be like comparing SJ to GA Jr. I see Hartman as a very long shot , and if they could make it work he will be a very unique player type like SJ but whether we or anyone persists long enough for that to happen....? For example , if at years end we let both Schroder and Hartman go , Id say only Schroder would get a position for sure.

Not often I totally disagree with you Daz but comparing Hartman and Riolli is not something id have thought of. Riolli has just so much excitement factor.Hartman a much bigger player. Even if we compare very good players it would be like comparing SJ to GA Jr. I see Hartman as a very long shot , and if they could make it work he will be a very unique player type like SJ but whether we or anyone persists long enough for that to happen....? For example , if at years end we let both Schroder and Hartman go , Id say only Schroder would get a position for sure.

Perhaps I didn't make the distinction between the difference between the two great enough. I was aiming for the parallel that both can go exciting things but go missing as well. Clearly there is chasm between the two in the frequency and effect of the excitement. Hartman also the clearly longer shot…

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having read the Hawks thread about the game, I found it interesting that there were several references to be happy that Pods won't be there crashing packs and "putting his knees right thru the backs of the defenders". Hawk aside, there really is no other imposing crash and bash type currently that has that in their game. Daws would be the closest if pushed forward. It would be most like Pods in that respect if we are looking for that…

GO Catters
Hawks are one of the most skilled sides but slowly are moving away from being tough and physical. Someone like Pods , that awkward VFL type that could do the nasty did worry them. Can Walker be like that without hurting himself?

True. But in that case he absolutely must take those marks. Still don't think we'll see any changes this week.

He is in form kicking goals , and he does kick goals other ways not just marks. He can run so he brings similar traits to Blitz. I wonder if they would consider him out for Walker this week? I agree change is unlikely.

Perhaps I didn't make the distinction between the difference between the two great enough. I was aiming for the parallel that both can go exciting things but go missing as well. Clearly there is chasm between the two in the frequency and effect of the excitement. Hartman also the clearly longer shot…

GO Catters

I can see what your aiming at , nether are accumulators of the ball, 4 quarter players

Hawks are one of the most skilled sides but slowly are moving away from being tough and physical. Someone like Pods , that awkward VFL type that could do the nasty did worry them. Can Walker be like that without hurting himself?

He is in form kicking goals , and he does kick goals other ways not just marks. He can run so he brings similar traits to Blitz. I wonder if they would consider him out for Walker this week? I agree change is unlikely.

Not condoning hurting anyone for the sake if it, but if we were to give Walks license to play hard and break the packs up and play a tall defensive forward role it might yield some results. Could also be a massive cluster * too. Then who goes out for him etc…
Not saying its the answer but it might make for an interesting aspect to the game especially as they are not the tallest backs in the game. They have plenty of skill bringing it out once on the ground however...

Go Catters

He's kicked 7 goals in 2 games so that's a good thing. A few more marks on Sunday would have been nice, but to be fair it was pretty ordinary conditions for a key forward (although Melbourne had a guy who took a few good grabs). He'll get better delivery in the seniors, but he'll have better opposition too, that's the question.

I think they might bring Walker in, but there is absolutely no chance of them dropping Blicavs.

He's kicked 7 goals in 2 games so that's a good thing. A few more marks on Sunday would have been nice, but to be fair it was pretty ordinary conditions for a key forward (although Melbourne had a guy who took a few good grabs). He'll get better delivery in the seniors, but he'll have better opposition too, that's the question.

I think they might bring Walker in, but there is absolutely no chance of them dropping Blicavs.

I cant see who else gos out. Preseason I thought maybe 2-6 games with both the Big2 playing. Freo for sure , WC maybe North. Now its sort of becoming our preferred setup. Still like to see Hmac mark more and become a real threat but I'm inpatient. I have one wish for Simpson ...stay fit
Blitz is probably doing all that asked , and all that could be expected but he has yet to show any real threat in the forwardline. Perhaps his next big challenge. Walker is more of a threat.... so I guess we will see what they rate more. His late flexibility or forwardline ball retention thru marking power.

I see that Schroder got a good write up in the addy as well. Must be tough living in the "wake". One would think he fits the Roos mold of player.
Roos as in North Melbourne or Roos as in Paul??

He'd struggle to break into North's side if they are all fit I reckon.

Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, McDonald, Adams, Dumont....

So do you think , a ruckman out for Walker?

I see that Schroder got a good write up in the addy as well. Must be tough living in the "wake". One would think he fits the Roos mold of player.

No definitely not. We've finally got a ruck combination good enough to worry any team; the last thing I'd want to do is change that. Not to mention that what passed for our rucks in the Prelim got beaten easily by Hawthorn's, it's time to rectify that.

If you did want to bring in Walker - and they could have last week after a better VFL performance and didn't - then Blicavs is the only option I can see. But that isn't going to happen.

We may find that out on Monday.

I thought we found that out in the pre-season?....It's just deliver the ball properly and the guy will have a 50/50 chance, we ask the world out of our big forwards with crappy inside 50 entries, hopefully we'll get some right come Monday.
That way they'll get some chances. (Walker's a CHF)

Roos as in North Melbourne or Roos as in Paul??

He'd struggle to break into North's side if they are all fit I reckon.

Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac, McDonald, Adams, Dumont....

Roos as in Paul Roo's. I quite like what he has done, haven't always been a fan. He has coped a bit in the press for the Kelly/Tyson thing but personally when you taken Salem into account its going to be win/win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back