Hawks v Geelong: who will win and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
o_O I always thought LLD was a parody, but maybe you are a woman. No you're just talking for the sake of words.
Of course I am. I never understand the inane ramblings of women.

regardless of what you think about LLD as a poster, maybe back off on the misogyny and sexism...

not only are women as capable of rational and intelligent discussion as any man, they also post on this forum and dont need to read this 1940s rubbish.

regardless of what you think about LLD as a poster, maybe back off on the misogyny and sexism...

not only are women as capable of rational and intelligent discussion as any man, they also post on this forum and dont need to read this 1940s rubbish.

Agreed, cringe worthy stuff

Agreed, cringe worthy stuff

Wow. Fun police are out.

I think the point was made without women being required to take offence at it. Sometimes you can just laugh and move on. However, if any woman are offended please accept that no offence was intended (other than to serial troll LLD). I have the greatest respect for women, despite making the odd stereotypical joke.

Last edited:
Why don't you state what your issue was with what I posted, rather than spew bullshit outdated vitriol?

You mean like when I said we were excited about winning through to the GF and you responded with why is that so exciting?

Give it a rest mate, no one is buying your garbage.

You obviously weren't following the dialogue between myself and hk89. Not my fault you come in halfway and don't understand.

No. I understood it all. You want acknolwdgement that wins over Geelong are so exciting because of all the lost ones that didn't matter, without regard for the fact that the excitment of that win would be the same despite the opponent due to the prize at the end of it.

No. I understood it all. You want acknolwdgement that wins over Geelong are so exciting because of all the lost ones that didn't matter, without regard for the fact that the excitment of that win would be the same despite the opponent due to the prize at the end of it.

Of course, winning a prelim is amazing, and you'd be over the moon.

Hawthorn have won 3 prelims in recent(ish) history, and plenty more if you go back a little way. If a Hawks supporter had never seen a crowd reaction like it, there must be a reason for that.

Makes sense that it was a tiny bit extra special because it was a win at Geelong's expense. Which would mean that there was a little feeling there after a few losses at Geelong's hands. If none of the previous games mattered at all, then it would be the same as any other prelim win - still reason to be utensil-a-hoop, but no more than any other year.

Surely a reasonable person such as yourself would agree that the Games that Matter™ stuff is a minor copout - we are probably in complete agreeance here and your series of bad posts were really not required.

I think you are desperately cluthing at straws to think a PF win is no longer exciting just because you have done it before. Especially taking into account the nail biting finish. Even all those H&A games between the sides have been exciting due to the close finishes and this went to the wire like all the others. The reaction is completely understandable regardless of the opponent.

Just because all those H&A (and QF) wins in the streak were as exciting as all hell as individual games - and all would have warranted euphoric reactions for the winning teams (us included if we had of managed to win any of them), doesn't change the fact that when the nuts and bolts of it is analysed, they are still just H&A wins and don't really matter. Or at least if it makes you feel better, they have far less significance as a win or loss. I mean Geelong were the powerhouse side for most of those years (2012, 2013 excluded) and we aren't expected to win them anyway. Geelong fans are welcome to suggest the 4 points we missed those games cost us a finals spot or better position on the ladder, but losing to the Cats is giving no ground that other sides weren't doing anyway. Using 2009 as an example, it's losing the games that Hawthorn should have considered certainties that cost them a spot in the finals.

TLDR version - PF wins are exciting, wins in tight finishes are exciting (even H&A games), wins against Geelong are exciting because they are a good team. We still beat you when it matters.

So finally, we all know your posting history and while you may be subtle, your trolls don't fool anyone. There really is no need to try and pass yourself off as this reasoned and reasonable poster while trying to discredit those of us who see straight through you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on topic..... I'm not sure who will win.

I think we are good enough and playing well enough to win and win comfortably (not easily mind you).

I say we are a 3-4 goal better team and as such predict a win in this vicinity or slightly more. However, just like when Geelong were the team and we were the challenger, we know it's likely to be close either way and form coming in to the match essentially becomes irrelevant, as does the personnel.

Good luck Cats fans, even you LLD.

I think you are desperately cluthing at straws to think a PF win is no longer exciting just because you have done it before.

That's...I give up.

We still beat you when it matters.

Ah, so you are one of them. I take it back.

So finally, we all know your posting history and while you may be subtle, your trolls don't fool anyone. There really is no need to try and pass yourself off as this reasoned and reasonable poster while trying to discredit those of us who see straight through you.

Not sure what got your knickers in a knot, but you should get over it. You'll feel better.

Ah, so you are one of them.

Nah, not really. I love everything about the rivalry and for the most part find Cats supporters about the best of the opposition supporters on BF. I just wanted to see if I could get as much enjoyment from posting for a reaction as you seem to. Not really.

Anyway, as I said, good luck. What's your prediction?

Nah, not really. I love everything about the rivalry and for the most part find Cats supporters about the best of the opposition supporters on BF. I just wanted to see if I could get as much enjoyment from posting for a reaction as you seem to. Not really.

Anyway, as I said, good luck. What's your prediction?

Mmmm I have been avoiding thinking about it too much.

I haven't really been too impressed by Geelong's performances. The Collingwood victory was gutsy without being overly encouraging, both sides were very patchy. The Eagles were missing crucial players, Adelaide faded badly.

Hawthorn seem to be rolling along beautifully.

I think from reading other threads the Cats tackling numbers are pretty good this year? The hope is Geelong come out super fired up, pressure the Hawks like they haven't been yet this year, and get the jump on them. even so, Hawks to come back strongly, and I think get over the line.

Wow. Fun police are out.

I think the point was made without women being required to take offence at it. Sometimes you can just laugh and move on. However, if any woman are offended please accept that no offence was intended (other than to serial troll LLD). I have the greatest respect for women, despite making the odd stereotypical joke.

So much bullshit in this post.

I think you are desperately cluthing at straws to think a PF win is no longer exciting just because you have done it before. Especially taking into account the nail biting finish. Even all those H&A games between the sides have been exciting due to the close finishes and this went to the wire like all the others. The reaction is completely understandable regardless of the opponent.

Just because all those H&A (and QF) wins in the streak were as exciting as all hell as individual games - and all would have warranted euphoric reactions for the winning teams (us included if we had of managed to win any of them), doesn't change the fact that when the nuts and bolts of it is analysed, they are still just H&A wins and don't really matter. Or at least if it makes you feel better, they have far less significance as a win or loss. I mean Geelong were the powerhouse side for most of those years (2012, 2013 excluded) and we aren't expected to win them anyway. Geelong fans are welcome to suggest the 4 points we missed those games cost us a finals spot or better position on the ladder, but losing to the Cats is giving no ground that other sides weren't doing anyway. Using 2009 as an example, it's losing the games that Hawthorn should have considered certainties that cost them a spot in the finals.

TLDR version - PF wins are exciting, wins in tight finishes are exciting (even H&A games), wins against Geelong are exciting because they are a good team. We still beat you when it matters.

I really don't want this to become the us vs them type things and I'm not having a crack at you by any stretch. The one question this poses then if the 11 losses really didn't matter, why then are there 10,000s of posts from Hawks supporters bemoaning these very losses that, as you say, don't matter.
Just seems a little contradictory to, as you say, go on so much about something that does not matter.

These games are massive events for both clubs and the history is rich on both sides with many an epic encounter. I think its reasonable to assert they do matter and the game of footy is the biggest winner..

Go Catters

Last edited:
These games are massive events for both clubs and the history is rich on both sides with many an epic encounter. I think its reasonable to assert they do matter and the game of footy is the biggest winner..

Go Catters

I won't argue with any of that. They are great games and losing the ones we did sucked. The manner we lost them in sucked even more. The distinction is between what matters to us as fans and what is really important in actual terms to determing whether the team itself has a successful season.

As a fan, every game matters and that streak was beyond annoying as a Hawk fan. As a fan, last week's game v GCS mattered because we all love footy and want our team to win every game. However, in terms of probable premiership success and season result, those H&A games did mean little (in comparison at least to a PF and GF). Winning them would have been a source of great enjoyment but they weren't the final determinant of of our season's end result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back