Should Murph stand down as Captain ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duigan may have made a very good captain but wasn't in our best 22, yet at the moment??? ( he is still on our list isn't he)

Retired

The club needs to do a complete review of its operations, administration & personnel at year's end.

This is to ensure that we are stronger than we've ever been behind the scenes as well as having a clearly defined path to follow.

If this review recommends that Murphy should stand down as captain, then that is how it should go. Until that review takes place, he should continue on in the role unless he genuinely wants to get out of it now.

Players, Media, Club, Coaches, and even Murphy don't think Murphy should be captain.

Lucky we have plenty here to set us straight.

It pretty damned obvious Murphy is no captain. That is not a slight on him, his personality, is capability or anything of the sort. Captains and leaders are often the dumbest thickest most obedient of the lot - Jonathan Brown case in point.

The type of leader ship we are looking for maybe even requires a little bit stupid. (I dunno, but sometimes G Abblett has that look about him, as does Selwood, even Sticks).

So lets not get upset about asking the question. Its not an insult, its actually a compliment to say "look Murphy, your clearly intelligent and thoughtful, these are not attributes of a captain, we are looking for someone a bit more stupid and gregarious."

It's not a big deal.

No one should ever, EVER, be allowed to "grow" into being captain when they clearly have absolutely no aptitude for it at all.

Murphy seems like a lovely, intelligent, considerate bloke. That's the problem.

The club needs to do a complete review of its operations, administration & personnel at year's end.

This is to ensure that we are stronger than we've ever been behind the scenes as well as having a clearly defined path to follow.

If this review recommends that Murphy should stand down as captain, then that is how it should go. Until that review takes place, he should continue on in the role unless he genuinely wants to get out of it now.

I think that's the issue Sheik.

I genuinely believe even Murphy doesn't want it, but knows that a genuine captain sees it through and hangs tough, sets an example blah blah blah. Even if he didn't want it at all he is far too intelligent and nice to say no - worse in his mind - quit.

It needs to be put to him that it is no slight on his personality and wouldn't looked at badly. Even then - he would try and stay.

Someone needs to say "look mate - we think you might be under too much pressure and we want you playing well for the team, how would you feel if Hendo or Jammo etc tool a load off you ?"

The problem is the worse we get, the harder things are - the more we need him, but at the same time the worse he feels and the quieter he becomes.

We need a lose cannon. I'd actually like Mitch as captain.

Did you guys watch the bombers saints game? At half time jobe gave a speech to his players and you could see an incredible amount of intensity, a real leader that players want to impress, follow and try their hardest for. I'd kill for a bit of that in the side right now

yeah
Did you guys watch the bombers saints game? At half time jobe gave a speech to his players and you could see an incredible amount of intensity, a real leader that players want to impress, follow and try their hardest for. I'd kill for a bit of that in the side right now
that did wonders. get off murphys back ffs

yeah

It did, didn't it? One would suggest the Essendope players took no inspiration from whatever Watson said to them whereas in contrast the Saints' players must have been inspired by Riewoldt's 'gee up' at 3 quarter time, remembering that Riewoldt hasn't always been seen as a "real leader."

yeah

You obviously haven't seen my earlier posts, i support murph 100 percent and in no way do i think he should stand down. Also just because they didn't win, doesn't mean it didn't have an effect. I think in a forum that is labelled 'Should Murph Stand down as captain' that you shouldn't be so defensive, especially if you can't logically argue it apart from "get off murphy's back ffs".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish Jamo had stood for the Captaincy, I think even Malthouse said the same thing at the start of last season. Murphy still is a reasonable choice for skipper, I just want him to kick goals when he is faced with them and stop giving them off to people. He's been doing it for weeks in the latter half of matches when his confidence is gone, and you cant have that from the skipper when its his job to lift.

Other than that I dont see how Carazzo or Simpson would be any better suited to the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back