Status
Not open for further replies.

Madblue

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Alot of supporters believed that Murphy shouldn't have been made captain originally so what do people think now ?

His form is well down, he seems to be alot softer when attacking the ball, he can't handle a hard tag and shows no real leadership on field at a time that we desperately need it. Gibbs seems to be the whipping boy at the moment but Murph should be right there with him.

Thoughts ?

I would have had Simmo before him.

But he should absolutely stay on. And every one of his team mates should be there to support him in a leadership sense, and start smashing into his taggers. I'd like to see a line in the sand this weekend.

If Picken or anyone else puts the hard tag on MM, I'd like to see his comrades putting heaps of borderline legal pressure on that player.

I always thought Simpson should of been named captain. He showed great leadership and example on the ground, as well as consistency.

Even though this will always remain my opinion, I do believe Murphy should at least remain captain until the end of the year. It will give him the motivation to perform better on the ground as all eyes will be on him. Also, it is the whole leadership group that should be responsible for setting an example and they just can't seem to do that at the moment. So I don't see why Murphy should be getting all the blame.

For mine, its about what works best for him. If he's not enjoying playing as captain, and thinks it's affecting his performance, then step aside. I cant see him doing that though.

Shouldn't have been named captain in the first place, but to stand down now would be the easy way out.

He's our leader and he has to learn to act as such.

However it's absolutely criminal that the on-field leadership is left to him and a select few others. Each player should be leading in their own right, particularly by example. It shouldn't be left to those named in the leadership group. Every single player - whether they are at AFL level, VFL level, or on the road to recovery - should be leading to an extent.

Carrazo was always my first choice but it is what it is......there is only one thing Murph needs to do week in week out and that is beat his opponent...our woes are not due to Murphs inexperience as captain..there are 22 players out there..these days all 22 have to play their part just watch Geelong Hawthorn Port and Freo on the weekend.....22 committed players played for each other and go the results..

Stay strong Murph...It'll come.....

Murphy'slack of form is a symptom of where the side is at right now. If he wants to make a real name for himself - all he has to do is start leading by example - many will follow. He can start by learning how to fight back when some bozo takes a pot shot at him - just go in hard Murph.

I dont believe he is the wrong choice. If the team were winning and he was playing at his best it wouldn't be a problem. The fact is the whole team is down, he is the best midfielder in a non existing midfield which makes it impossible to break a tag. Simpson may be more vocal and tries hard offensively, but that doesnt make him a better choice imo, I would let Simmo concentrate on picking up his opponent and hitting targets. Once the team fires and Murphs form picks up it will be fine. Its a collective issue and he needs support from the whole team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A true leader demonstrates his credentials by on-field performances. i.e. Michael Jamison has never sought the captaincy.

What does a captain do besides toss the coin and attend mundane press conferences? The captaincy is as irrelevant as the office of Governor-General.

Changing captains won't improve our win-loss record one iota.

I think Murph being made captain had something to do with tying him to the club to make it harder for him to leave. It might even have been involved in preliminary contract discussions.

Whispers leading up to the handover were around Simpson and Carrazzo, with Mick favouring Carrazzo, then suddenly Murph got it.

I think Simpson is the true leader of our club.
He even gives the huddle speeches half the time for goodness sake!!
One of our few players that always gives 100%, never backs away from the contest. He plays like a 6 foot 4 player the way he hits the contest hard.

Murphy I think was chosen more as a pretty boy to shake hands at official events and sell merchandise. There's no doubt that he has shown he can be a very good player but I don't think he is able to lift the team like Simpson can.

Just my opinion

I think Murph has never been the same since he broke his jaw and hurt his shoulder. He isn't putting his body on the line and seems timid in physical contests and taggers have taken notice of this.

Shouldn't have been named captain in the first place, but to stand down now would be the easy way out.

He's our leader and he has to learn to act as such.

However it's absolutely criminal that the on-field leadership is left to him and a select few others. Each player should be leading in their own right, particularly by example. It shouldn't be left to those named in the leadership group. Every single player - whether they are at AFL level, VFL level, or on the road to recovery - should be leading to an extent.

My first post of Bf suggested that Murph shouldn't be Captain, as I don't think he has or shows leadership qualities.
(got hammered for it too).

If Murph was to hand over the captaincy now would be an even greater mistake than the first decision.
He has to tough it out.

I want all the players to get the mongrel back. a bit of push me shove you in your face s**t.

Find your heart, find your courage, stick up for your mates. And if they aint your mates.
Stick up for the Jumper....

Simpson or Carrots should have been given the job originally, but it's too late to change right now. A demotion or co-captaincy would just highlight that the club made the wrong call and has no confidence in Murphy moving forward. It's the wrong signal to send at this stage, but perhaps at the end of the year as part of a "review" Simpson could be made co-captain.

Or ... wait till the Essendon infractions get announced and do it then ... will get totally lost in the noise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back