Geelong vs Hawthorn. AFL have decided to do some scalping.

Remove this Banner Ad

ITT: a mixture of stupidity and entitlement.

The MCC Members Reserve has a capacity of 23,000. Before any whinging at the AFL can be taken into account, the available seating capacity of the ground is 77,000 - not 100,000.

Then you have the AFL Members Reserve of 20,000 or whatever it is. Boo hiss AFL for having that for those people willing to pay good money for AFL Membership.

So that leaves about 57,000 seats. What is it exactly people want? For every Geelong and Hawthorn 'member' to pay $15 and walk-up to the gate until such time that the ground is full?
The complaints about booking fees are fair. But the rest is whinging cheap tickets are for the worst seats.

Brian Taylor said on 3aw at midday that this now was now longer a designated seat event , you can now scan your membership at the gate and access a seat for today's game.

Can find nothing about this on afl twitter though

Brian Taylor said on 3aw at midday that this now was now longer a designated seat event , you can now scan your membership at the gate and access a seat for today's game.

Great, if that is true I'm sure we are all happy for having paid that little bit more for nothing.

AFLs Darren Birch on 3aw saying that there is 5,000 seats left in the GA area which will cost $8.50 to sit in.

Saying that the AFL have opened up the AFL members area for Cats and Hawk members to scan in on their members ticket to access the remaining seats unsold in the aFL members area for free

AFLs Darren Birch on 3aw saying that there is 5,000 seats left in the GA area which will cost $8.50 to sit in.

Saying that the AFL have opened up the AFL members area for Cats and Hawk members to scan in on their members ticket to access the remaining seats unsold in the aFL members area for free
Think I might stay home then....

Absolute rubbish - new AFL policy seems to be to do away with "blockbusters"

Schedule potential blockbusters on Sunday nights when people don't want to come, charge more than people want to pay to go or tell people who have paid for tickets to get in to pay more or don't come

They are complete idiots - Decisions made by people who earn very good 6 figure incomes and think that $50 is cheap for everyone

One of the biggest games of the year outside of the finals and the AFL have destroyed it. What other sport makes it as hard as possible for people to attend? Whoever is in charge of ticketing at the AFL should lose their job today, but they won't. They just need to scrap this botched ticketing system now, but to save face they won't.
What do the president's of Hawthorn and Geelong have to say about this? Club members are being robbed and membership is becoming next to worthless.

Theres people in the afl who are ideologically opposed to walk up type attendance, even though its part of what makes footy great. They bulit the etihad stadium with that philosophy in mind and it sucks. Over time theyll get less and less families and future generations will be meh! About footy
I was in Melbourne about this time last year visiting family. There was nothing better than walking with my son from the city to the MCG, buying a ticket ($2 for his!) and sitting about ten rows back in the pocket for Hawthorn v Nth Melbourne.

The AFL really don't seem to realise what a great thing they have.

A Collingwood v Hawthorn (Hawthorn members replacement game again) back in 2011 was a right shemozzle.

Well the genius who decided it would be a good idea to make a replacement game against Collingwood should have been sacked on the spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those people who have done the right thing and already paid their $8.50 (plus probably $10 for the privilege of printing their ticket out on their own printer) will be thrilled with this news.

An out and out rort, plain and simple.

The complaints about booking fees are fair. But the rest is whinging cheap tickets are for the worst seats.

Booking fees are a load of arse. Charging any fees for online bookings (whether its booking fees for tickets you print yourself or credit card surcharges - how the * else am I supposed to pay?) is just gouging.

Does anyone have evidence this actually happenned?
Brian Taylor and 3AW know SFA about ticketing because they haven't bought one in their whole life. I suspect they were getting confused.
AFL members could scan their card at the gate and sit in the remaining walk up area within the AFL reserve, this was already known earlier in the week and as far as I know Hawk and Cat members still had to fork out if they wanted to enter the ground.

However at 11am on Monday morning, less than four and a half hours before the first bounce; the AFL announced that access to the game had changed, and both Geelong and Hawthorn members were able to gain entry simply by swiping their cards.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ans-furious-20140421-zqxbq.html#ixzz2zWZ69cVZ

kZcg0Ik.gif

Thanks for the link Hawkk.

So they are saying they let Hawk and Cat members who aren't AFL members, scan into the AFL reserve for free?
But they still had to pay if they were going into the public sections of the ground?
Earlier in the week they said the AFL members was almost full and listed the 'limited' walk up areas and then they decide a few hours before the game there is plenty of room and let non AFL members in for free? How did they know that a whole pile of AFL members weren't planning to show up at 3pm and scan in?

If this is accurate then it is a giant cluster fcuk.

How did they let members know? 3AW?

Doesnt most of this go to the ticket retailer?

If the AFL are serious about improving affordability these booking fees along with variable ticket prices and stadium food prices need a serious review in 2015.

I would love to hear the AFL stance on these outragous fees and how they can be justified.

If the AFL are serious about improving affordability these booking fees along with variable ticket prices and stadium food prices need a serious review in 2015.

I would love to hear the AFL stance on these outragous fees and how they can be justified.
I have absolutely no issue with the price of food at the ground. It can cost $10 for a pie and that does not bother me. It's 2 and a half hours where I can go without food or just bring in my own food from home or the supermarket.

But what makes me filthy with the AFL, ticketmaster and ticketek are the booking fees/printing fees. You cannot avoid this cost. It is like advertising a flight for $1, but after adding credit card fees and baggage fees the flight actually costs $100.

It is a rort!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back