Geelong vs Hawthorn. AFL have decided to do some scalping.

Remove this Banner Ad

The way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if the AFL reduced the capacity of the MCG to about 60,000 so they could justify charging more.:mad: "We're closing the top deck today due to maintenance issues. Aaaaand due to supply & demand issues, we're increasing the price of tickets by 40%."

Shhhhh - don't give them ideas!

AFL members should be annoyed as well that the AFL reserves was opened up. There were 1000 walk up spots left when they made the decision and if I was intending to walk up as an AFL member I wouldn't want to miss out due to the decision.
Yep, as an AFL member I was a bit peeved by this.
I reserved a seat, but many AFL members like the tradition of rocking up and finding a free seat or standing, I wonder if any missed out? I don't mind that the seats were made use of, what annoys me is that the AFL trick members into paying for a reserve seat, by making it sound as if the reserve is going to be full, but then magically on game day there are plenty of seats for all and even enough to open it up to non members.

Wow, another twist to the story.
They said Cat and Hawk members could scan their card for no cost entry to the AFL members (gate 6 & 7) but still had to pay for a reserved seat in the public section of the ground. Yet you were able to scan your card for no cost entry to the public section of the ground (gate 3) and stand.

yep, i was very surprised.

i did hear the announcer say something about gate 6 or 7 but that is the other end of the mcg from gate 3 so thought i would try my luck at gate 3 before the trek.

I am unsure what is causing grief. The AFL has had more variable pricing since 1987. People in Perth have always paid more for their tickets. It's just like each club has different membership packages. They all cost different prices.

I am unsure what is causing grief. The AFL has had more variable pricing since 1987. People in Perth have always paid more for their tickets. It's just like each club has different membership packages. They all cost different prices.

Then you have missed the point.

Read the thread again and you will see that the AFL decided to make members buy a reserve seat and then four hours before the game decided members didn't need to do that. If you don't see what's wrong with that, then you must work for the AFL.

Last edited:

Yaco55
Most other clubs have GA memberships which allows you to walk up on the day and scan in and sit GA area, Variable ticketing has forced punters to upgrade to reserved seat incurring a booking fee and a ezy ticket fee.

Fair enough if its a sell out game but when there is plenty of capacity in the stadium it doesn't make sense why it should be fully ticketed game.

Similar to our flexi membership in which we have to upgrade for each game because all our home are fully ticketed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back