Review AFL Round 5 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how Clangers importance to the Hawks had increased so much while he's been hurt. He has been a spud bar for all of about 5 games, he's coming back from a knee reco yet he is the answer to their defensive issues with Hawkins apparently...

.. Please

What we saw yesterday was that we are the best team in the league. And this was an under strength Geelong missing two of last seasons key players in Christensen and Motlop. Last season they were probably the two most responsible for run and carry and it's a part of our play that's been sorely missed. Thought we've done fantastically well again to get through this game without dropping thee points.

I think that's largely thanks to taking steps forward in other areas. I thought our backline did a superb job again, they are an experienced and unbelievably talented unit who are a big part of what makes us so good. Kelly going back I think proved yet again to be a masterstroke, this time shutting down Cyril but again it was his conviction coming off his man and break down dangerous play that impressed most. Rivers too has been a rock, arguably our best defender this season. Small changes have made a big difference here I think.

Up forward is one of the areas there has been a big change. No question in my mind that we've lost a bit of marking power losing Pods but the resting ruck is still getting the ball to the ground and we are better now at applying pressure from there. In this game we benefited from a huge mismatch (Cheney v Hawkins) which won't happen again but the pressure our "smalls" create is just as big a factor and that I expect to be a permanent feature. Murdoch, Burbury and Varcoe might not be as skillful as Gunston but they work harder are quicker and more agile. It having an impact in a different way. It made the Hawks usually impressive decision making down back look nervy. IMO that pressure will only improve with Smedts who at 6'3 and quite possibly the most agile player in the league can be fantastic at applying pressure. Who knows what Menzel could bring.

But for me the real story is in midfield. Our ruck duo is giving us a slight edge where we last year were getting slaughtered. Perhaps last week against Cox/Naitanui was more impressive but winning tap outs 37-30 again helped and McIntosh up forward had impact. Seems like all our mids too are complete players this time it was Stevie J and Guthrie taking marks inside fifty and kicking four between them but in previous weeks it's been Selwood and GHS having a similar contribution. Great to see

If there's a weakness in the side it would probably be that we lack a lead up target (ie: N.Reiwoldt). Blicavs kind of performs that role but really it's his secondary role of ensuring our rucks aren't run off their feet that's keeping him in the side. He was again not bad but fairly anonymous and as Simpson/McIntosh get fitter I think his spot become more and more shaky.

Love that at the start of the fourth the Hawks kick two, hit the front and all the commentators (all 16 of them, because 1 is not enough apparently) pick the Hawks. If the Cats had have let them roll over the top, the comeback in the prelim would have gained 'momentum' as ONLY the result of mental strength.

Right or wrong, there has to be some nagging doubt in the back of the Hawks minds "the one time in 12 tries we won a close one was when we had a week off and they didn't..." However small...

Geelong can beat anyone. Now, we need to make top four, win our first final, and be as healthy as possible.
That will all require a lot of work and a bit of luck, but 10 years after a close prelim loss, I can't believe I've felt that way every single year since.

If there's a weakness in the side it would probably be that we lack a lead up target (ie: N.Reiwoldt). Blicavs kind of performs that role but really it's his secondary role of ensuring our rucks aren't run off their feet that's keeping him in the side. He was again not bad but fairly anonymous and as Simpson/McIntosh get fitter I think his spot become more and more shaky.

To be fair to Blicavs, he's not playing as any kind of leading forward. He just isn't. He's lining up on the wing at pretty much every centre bounce. Which makes sense as continuity in one role is important if he is to learn it. But right now he's a midfielder.

My favourite passage of play yesterday was in the 2nd term after Hodge and SJ had a bit of "How do you do?" on the boundary line. In the boundary throw in immediately afterwards, Hodge tried to charge his way through the pack, only to be tackled by a couple of Geelong players. SJ then seemed to say "This is how you do it Luke!" as he charged through about 4 or 5 Hawks and came out the other side with the pill and set us up through the middle. :D

Blyr9BbCMAASSry.jpg

:D

To be fair to Blicavs, he's not playing as any kind of leading forward. He just isn't. He's lining up on the wing at pretty much every centre bounce. Which makes sense as continuity in one role is important if he is to learn it. But right now he's a midfielder.

He does start on the wing, i'll give you that but I think we differ more on definition rather than what's happening.....After all what is his role in the side?

He's obviously never going to be a regular winger getting handball receives bursting down the win and delivering inside 50. For me his disposal and ability to run with the ball in hands simply isn't good enough. I think if he's to make it it's gonna be as a footballer who makes space and marks the ball. That's a role I'd classify (perhaps incorrectly) as traditionally being a lead up forward. With positions the way they are these days I don't think it matters if he starts from the wing ala Richo, or CHF like Reiwoldt. For me the role is the pretty much the same.

Certainly I don't think he's a traditional midfielder and I'd argue his role is closer to that of a traditional lead up forward. Someone who busts a gut to make space and provide a marking option linking up with others better served at carrying the ball (Motlop, Duncan etc).

I think Burbs was average around goal but he was good up the ground. I think he is a high half forward who is great on the lead and is great at turning his opponent around if the ball goes over the back. Watch some VFL highlights of him and he gets a lot of his goals running back towards goals rather that snapping and sneaking goals. In my opinion (not so qualified) he is not a 1st class crumber, but we have limited options atm. Mots and Bundy will change this and change Georges role later in the year??

Having watched the Freo game the other day, I reckon CS sees Burbs as our version of Ballantyne without the dickhead quotient. Big forward pressure that is pacy and decent skills but runs like a mofo for the one over the top. Sure he needs more work and needs to take his chances better but I guarantee that was like a GF for him ( in what game 6) and that he will be better for it. Lots more upside in him…

Go Catters

Have to say reading the Dawks board I laughed at how many are banging on about how good it was too see Puopolo run down Selwood.
They seem to ignore the part about him kicking the ensuing free kick straight to a 2 on 1 contest (geelongs way) and we got the ball straight back.

Good on the dwarf for running down our skipper and his 2nd effort was fantastic.. But if that is going to be your game highlight you would hope the ball wasn't given straight back to us

Having watched the Freo game the other day, I reckon CS sees Burbs as our version of Ballantyne without the dickhead quotient. Big forward pressure that is pacy and decent skills but runs like a mofo for the one over the top. Sure he needs more work and needs to take his chances better but I guarantee that was like a GF for him ( in what game 6) and that he will be better for it. Lots more upside in him…

Go Catters

There is definitely something to work with there, aside from his ferocity, he is very quick, has a big leap and clean hands.

He is just lacking composure around goal. I would send him back to the VFL as soon as Motlop is ready, give him a month kicking goals there and bring him back when we have an easier run of games in the middle of year. I like him (though I liked him less when he blazed that shot in the third quarter.....)

From the current team? Easy. Blicavs.
Yeh, I think it's probably just time for him to push back to the VFL and just win some more of the football again. He's just not quite winning as much of the footy as he was last year and they do have a spot back there for him to learn some more of the ruck trade as well.

What we saw yesterday was that we are the best team in the league.
I have to disagree with you there, I'm afraid. It's still Hawthorn for mine, I thought they were a better side coming into the game and one slightly off-colour game from Hawthorn in a match between two under-strength sides doesn't change that. The big unknown is how having Lake coming back into that side changes things - not just because of this ability to nullify Hawkins to some degree, but also because he exploits Hawk on way back.

I have to disagree with you there, I'm afraid. It's still Hawthorn for mine, I thought they were a better side coming into the game and one slightly off-colour game from Hawthorn in a match between two under-strength sides doesn't change that. The big unknown is how having Lake coming back into that side changes things - not just because of this ability to nullify Hawkins to some degree, but also because he exploits Hawk on way back.

Too many variables.
They were "off colour" because that's exactly what Geelong did to them.
Also on lake, he played on Hawkins when he was basically a statue due to injury, not the same this time and he won't be allowed to run off whenever he feels like it.
What about if we had Motlop smashing it up through the middle, or Caddy crashing bodies, or Bundy doing all of the above?
Again, too many variables.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still hearing about the hawks not caring about home and away and always win the ones that matter...

yep, beat us in 08 GF, we were the better team but they won.

last year, and 89 for that matter, the Hawks were clearly the better team all year, if they lost those finals games to us...well...it would have been the 2012 GF type result. no way Sydney was the best team that year, in my opinion hardly top 4, but they won the big one.

but this talk about home and away not a big deal is bizarre. in 2009 we beat them twice, they missed the finals by 2 games.

in 2010 hawks missed top 4 and a double chance by 2 games...we beat them twice that year...

2011 we beat them twice, allowing us top 2 and them 3rd, the got the double chance, but if they won that QF against us would have only had wet toast to beat to get into the GF instead of the pies.

our wins over them have always had a profound impact over their season, perhaps their fans should drop the act and start caring, because they drop the 2 against us again this year, they might have to travel and play port in the QF for example, instead of playing them at the G. i think that is a big deal...

pretty much every home and away game matters almost as much as a final because it determines the finals series.

My favourite passage of play yesterday was in the 2nd term after Hodge and SJ had a bit of "How do you do?" on the boundary line. In the boundary throw in immediately afterwards, Hodge tried to charge his way through the pack, only to be tackled by a couple of Geelong players. SJ then seemed to say "This is how you do it Luke!" as he charged through about 4 or 5 Hawks and came out the other side with the pill and set us up through the middle. :D

Ha that was in front of us in the members and I yelled something along the lines of Hodge ball watching with a drumstick in his hand while Stevie ran away with it. Got a few head turns from the surrounding Dawks bandwagon. If Tomahawk is a fat plodder, at least he is fat plodder that can win big games.

Last edited:
Contact between Hawthorn’s Luke Hodge and Geelong’s Steve Johnson from the second quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. The ball has gone out of bounds when Hodge and Johnson come together and Hodge makes contact with Johnson to the stomach. After viewing all the available footage and receiving a medical report from the Geelong Football Club, it was the view of the panel that the force used by Hodge was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.
Contact between Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and Hawthorn’s Will Langford from the third quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. Geelong’s George Horlin-Smith is running with the ball and player Langford turns to chase him. Hawkins attempts to shepherd for his team-mate and makes body contact with Langford. Hawkins has an open hand when the contact is made and it was not a striking action. No further action was taken.

The coaches' votes are in, both gave Stevie J 5 votes, so they could see past his few errors in execution to the impact he had on the game:

10 Johnson (Geel)
8 Hawkins (Geel)
3 Bartel (Geel)
3 Taylor (Geel)
2 Enright (Geel)
2 Gunston (Haw)
1 Birchall (Haw)
1 McIntosh (Geel)

The coaches' votes are in, both gave Stevie J 5 votes, so they could see past his few errors in execution to the impact he had on the game:

10 Johnson (Geel)
8 Hawkins (Geel)
3 Bartel (Geel)
3 Taylor (Geel)
2 Enright (Geel)
2 Gunston (Haw)
1 Birchall (Haw)
1 McIntosh (Geel)

Interesting that they both gave SJ 5 and Hawkins 4.

Well, that's the way I saw it too, thought SJ gave more of a four-quarter contribution, despite Hawkins' match-winning performance in the last quarter. But extremely happy with both of them :D

I gave Hawkins 5 but I was blinded a little by his last quarter, SJ was BOG with Hawkins being the match winner.
Thought Rivers was stiff not to get even one vote.
Likewise Kelly.

I gave Hawkins 5 but I was blinded a little by his last quarter, SJ was BOG with Hawkins being the match winner.
Thought Rivers was stiff not to get even one vote.
Likewise Kelly.
Agree that there were a number of Cats who stood up and contributed, it was a real team effort. The fact that the coaches' 3, 2 and 1 votes were all spread around different players shows that opinions were divided on who was best after SJ and Hawkins.

We just can't stick our tackles on him. He is very strong through the lower body - low centre of gravity like Daicos and a big arse like GAJ.
Yep that is why I like Caddy-he is strong, good centre of gravity, smart. A bit slow but maybe not as slow as I think and he has power. They get so much drive from Mitchell.

Nope -we are just better than them. They were better on the day in 2008 when we were the best team of the year and should have won. They brought their best game, took their chances and we didn't and so they were too good that day. Good luck to them.
In the Prelim last year we were undermanned, playing a crippled Hawkins and off our best footy(remember Brissy in the last game and the Freo final-ordinary stuff). That was there best chance to get us and to their credit they again took their chances.
Other than that, we simply have their measure and all things being evenish, we beat them.
Am not worried about Lake-its Mitchell I am keen to stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back