Media alert #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The major analysis of the Lions is yet to come...Big Head Ed had to be interviewed first :rolleyes:

Yep....Ed riding the magpie success of VFL history as most grand final appearances... if we talk about equalization then it should only be recognised from AFL time only.....

Written and authorised by Football Pope for the Brisbane board.

A few snipets via from great man:

1. The Lions could not get Cornelius fit/running hard enough to make it @ AFL level. The rest of the package was there. Hmmmm.....football dept. spend anyone???
  2. 4 of the GO HOME FIVE we're ready to break out this season; only Longer, in his opinion, is not. Says Karnezis needed a little more work on engine though, whilst Polec needed only a full pre-season under his belt.
  3. AFL needs to fund the Lions as they struggle financially. No footy dept. spend / investment = no crowds / membership / finances as we won't survive in the QLD market.
  4. Does not think we (and Melbourne for that matter) deserve priority picks.
  5. On field; forward line the obvious problem.

The AFL need to explicitly outline to the football public WHY we need the assistance. And then what assistance they plan to give.

Most supporters in Melb/WA/SA couldn't care less about us and that's understandable. But if the AFL provide some info I don't think it would be hard for those people to OBJECTIVELY look at the reasons and say 'fair enough'.

We don't seek an advantage. We seek the ability to compete more equally. Had me frothing at the mouth on SEN a few weeks ago when they were discussing equalisation and assistance for the northern non-football state teams.

The line of argument they went with was that "because we can never truly establish equality, things should be left alone".

Its upsetting at how one eyed it all is.

I missed Vossy on Open Mic a few weeks ago but I vaguely remember seeing a preview where he was talking about coming to the board with some hope to get some things put in place. Could be mistaken but if I'm not could anyone fill me in on what they were? Interested to see if they have been put in place for Leppa, or will be going forward.

I missed Vossy on Open Mic a few weeks ago but I vaguely remember seeing a preview where he was talking about coming to the board with some hope to get some things put in place. Could be mistaken but if I'm not could anyone fill me in on what they were? Interested to see if they have been put in place for Leppa, or will be going forward.

Voss went to the board seeking more funding for development suggesting eventually player retention would be compromised. Request denied consequences?

Had no relationship with Angus J.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-22/in-the-mix-round-six

BRISBANE LIONSJustin Leppitsch will welcome some experience back into his young team for Friday night's match against St Kilda in Wellington, with Daniel Merrett back from a two-match suspension. Merrett could be joined by Pearce Hanley who has recovered more quickly than expected from a hamstring injury suffered in round four against Port Adelaide. Josh Green is in the same boat after suffering a hamstring strain in the same match and is a chance to return against the Saints. Andrew Raines and James Polkinghorne have given Leppitsch reason to consider their inclusion after excellent showings in the reserves at the weekend. - Michael Whiting
Even the usually reliable Michael Whiting can make errors saying Green did his hamstring in the same match as Hanley.

Article in Inside Footy on the rebuild - the tone of that magazine seems to be pretty forgiving for the Lions - no expectations this year with the occasional snatched win but an interesting build. Doesn't really say anything that anyone on this board doesn't know (Leppa is relentlessly playing the kids, cruelled by injuries, what will our spine look like in three years) but will spread understanding of our onfield situation among other fans.

Attachments

• 23-04-2014 2-23-59 PM.jpg
    23-04-2014 2-23-59 PM.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 6
Article in Inside Footy on the rebuild - the tone of that magazine seems to be pretty forgiving for the Lions - no expectations this year with the occasional snatched win but an interesting build. Doesn't really say anything that anyone on this board doesn't know (Leppa is relentlessly playing the kids, cruelled by injuries, what will our spine look like in three years) but will spread understanding of our onfield situation among other fans.

Thanks for that, Dave. Interesting reading.

Bit harsh on Ryan Lester, not getting a run in the 2017 team. I'm more convinced about him than Paparone and Clarke.
Also maybe a bit harsh calling Trent West a fringe player. Doesn't look like falling out of the first 22 for a while.

Bit harsh on Ryan Lester, not getting a run in the 2017 team.

Simultaneously underrated in the wider football world and (I suspect) a tad overrated on BigFooty at the moment.

A bit vanilla all around. His contested work is getting better but it's not a "point of difference" yet and I don't think he has any others. And he is slowwwwwww.

Simultaneously underrated in the wider football world and (I suspect) a tad overrated on BigFooty at the moment.

A bit vanilla all around. His contested work is getting better but it's not a "point of difference" yet and I don't think he has any others. And he is slowwwwwww.

And with poor skills.

And with poor skills.

I can't agree Lester's skills are poor.

I agree he is definitely overrated by some on BF but equally underrated by others. Not even on the radar of the wider footy world.

He certainly isn't fast. However I don't think I'd say he's really slow either. Probably doesn't have great acceleration over 20-30m but I think he'd be ok over 100-200m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss went to the board seeking more funding for development suggesting eventually player retention would be compromised. Request denied consequences?

Had no relationship with Angus J.

Thanks Royboy. Did he offer any insight into what specifically he intended to use the funding for in regards to development or was it broad enough to suggest there the things which need funding are very numerous?

Thanks Royboy. Did he offer any insight into what specifically he intended to use the funding for in regards to development or was it broad enough to suggest there the things which need funding are very numerous?

Primarily Development Coaches / Resources for players on the fringe / new recruits. The vibe I got was that there was a gap between resources provided to young players adjusting to life as a professional player in a non football state and that they needed more time put into them.

The AFL need to explicitly outline to the football public WHY we need the assistance. And then what assistance they plan to give.

Most supporters in Melb/WA/SA couldn't care less about us and that's understandable. But if the AFL provide some info I don't think it would be hard for those people to OBJECTIVELY look at the reasons and say 'fair enough'.

We don't seek an advantage. We seek the ability to compete more equally. Had me frothing at the mouth on SEN a few weeks ago when they were discussing equalisation and assistance for the northern non-football state teams.

The line of argument they went with was that "because we can never truly establish equality, things should be left alone".

Its upsetting at how one eyed it all is.
The AFL don't care about us, they're too busying flirting and taking long walks along the beach with their new girlfriend in the Gold Coast. They won't even return our calls until Gold Coast win a flag unfortunately.

I can't agree Lester's skills are poor.

I would. Never seen someone who can nearly completely miss the ball when attempting to kick as often as him.

Vossy's Open Mike interview is on YouTube.

Warning: you may need sedation or something to punch when you hear how badly Angus Johnson ****ed him over.

Ahh.. :(

Miss you Vossy, wish he would come back as an assistant in the future or even coach again in the further future.

Will always be our champion.

Vossy's Open Mike interview is on YouTube.

Warning: you may need sedation or something to punch when you hear how badly Angus Johnson ****ed him over.

I remember watching this. RIP to the cup I was holding at the time.

Made me so angry.

Awesome interview.
Love that man.always have.always will.
Just a class act and the very best Lion/Bear there ever was ..or ever will be.
Forever hang your head in shame Angus Johnson.
No one will ever remember you ..except for being the idiot.. who chased a name and mistreated a true legend.
Stay true to yourself Vossy :hearts:

The thing that still stands out to me, is how much influence the board had, and probably still does have, over the footy department, when they have NFI about footy. There needs to be footy nous on the board, and a link between the coach, footy department and the suits balancing the books. Footy decision need to be made by those that know, and we had a whole heap of footy decisions being made by blokes who thought they knew what they were doing.

This to me only strengthens how important it is, to have things in place correctly off field, before you even worry about kicking a ball. I sure do hope that with Lethal and Schwab around the place, they are able to bring that balance to our board room and club.

Geez, we could with a couple of vossy types at the moment. Coach told him he wasn't doing enough and gave him a massive serve..and he took it in and tried harder. I wonder if the way the system works at the moment makes it easier for players copping a spray to just pack their bags and move to another club rather then just cop it, challenge themselves and get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back