Universal Love I miss Bernie..

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely we should be looking to make other aggressive moves..
And who do you suggest moving? Has to be someone young enough, someone we can easily replace, yet someone with trade currency. I can think of a few players who meet 2 criteria, very few who meet 3. Henderson, maybe?

And who do you suggest moving? Has to be someone young enough, someone we can easily replace, yet someone with trade currency. I can think of a few players who meet 2 criteria, very few who meet 3. Henderson, maybe?

I think Hendersons time to move was last year. Very silly to move him on after a season (this year) in which he plays very little football.

To be honest, not exaclty sure who we should move at the end of the year, but I am one of those people who believe everyone should be on the table (Danger, Talia, Crouch) if the right deal can be made and it moves us closer to a flag.

There's something been bugging me since we traded Bernard Vince for the draft pick we used to garner Matt Crouch.

Bernard made a television commercial for a company that was airing before the trade period started. I found it strange at the time because he was in no club gear at all, nor was there any reference to his then employer 'the Adelaide football club'. It just stated he was an AFL footballer.

The commercial is still running.

it would suggest he knew he was going to be traded. That is not consistent with media statements since.

I miss Bernie - legend of the club and I'm happy he is doing well. He is enjoying Melbourne and is very close with Jack Trengove (was before he even moved there) but still loves the Adelaide Football Club. When his career is done he'll come back to us and be welcomed with open arms.

The fact is though, it was the right thing to do to trade him out. The fault of Bernie being traded out should be laid upon the doings of the Kurt Tippett drama. For future list management we needed those young draft picks to come in. We're very fortunate to have ended up with Matt Crouch who looks like being an excellent player in his own right and also will hopefully tie him and his brother, two elite 19-20 year old midfielders, to our club for the next 10 years.

The great thing now is our core midfield is almost complete. Inside midfield is excellent, we just need more outside run and carry (Brodie Smith is built for this role but is required back at the moment) but you'd have to say we have the best midfield under 25 bar the expansion teams.

How good would it be if we could play bernie in Reillys spot right now.
A guy that can actually kick the ball...and not one that has this 'mythical' good disposal

agree though that with the return of Hendo and Otten he'd be hard pressed getting a game.

We won't boo him because that's not how we roll.

Does anyone think Collingwood fans will boo Dale Thomas?

Big difference.
Thomas left for the money and wanted to leave
Vince was pushed out the door and didnt want to leave

Theyre total opposite ends of the spectrum. In the middle you have the Nathan Bock who just got an offer that was too good to refuse, you cant really hate him for it. Gunston on the other hand...

The fact is though, it was the right thing to do to trade him out. The fault of Bernie being traded out should be laid upon the doings of the Kurt Tippett drama. For future list management we needed those young draft picks to come in.

Yea if the players didn't already resent Tippet due to the manner of his departure and loss of picks, I'm sure they probably do now that one of their good mates got traded out as a result.

Yes I realise two parties were guilty re sanctions, but it's not like the players can "say hello" to Trigg on the field. Tippet on the other hand...

With Mackay actually playing some good footy this year, it might be time to think about him. Do we think that he's now finally reached form and will retain it? Or is he just having a good patch?

Hard call to make but I guess that's why list managers get paid so well.

I have been one of Mackay's biggest detractors over the past few years, but in no way should we get rid of him at the end of this year. He is a free-agent at the end of the year and if we let him go - what we get back in compensation will not be what he is worth.

If we were to trade him it should have been 2010/2011 when Melbourne were sniffing around.

With Mackay actually playing some good footy this year, it might be time to think about him. Do we think that he's now finally reached form and will retain it? Or is he just having a good patch?

Hard call to make but I guess that's why list managers get paid so well.
Mackay is eligible for Free Agency this year. If he goes, you would expect that it would be under this mechanism rather than being traded. Vince was traded because he was still under contract (and hence not eligible for FA). Mackay is younger than Vince was when he was traded, because Vince wasn't drafted as an U18 player, so he'd definitely have currency.

Mackay is also very keen on staying in Adelaide, at least he was last year when his name was being tossed around during trade week. I doubt that's changed. Do not forget that the player still has to sign off on any trade - and it's hard to see him not being offered a new contract by the AFC if he does refuse to be traded.

How good would it be if we could play bernie in Reillys spot right now.
A guy that can actually kick the ball...and not one that has this 'mythical' good disposal

agree though that with the return of Hendo and Otten he'd be hard pressed getting a game.

85% DE. What constitutes good in your opinion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackay is eligible for Free Agency this year. If he goes, you would expect that it would be under this mechanism rather than being traded. Vince was traded because he was still under contract (and hence not eligible for FA). Mackay is younger than Vince was when he was traded, because Vince wasn't drafted as an U18 player, so he'd definitely have currency.

Mackay is also very keen on staying in Adelaide, at least he was last year when his name was being tossed around during trade week. I doubt that's changed. Do not forget that the player still has to sign off on any trade - and it's hard to see him not being offered a new contract by the AFC if he does refuse to be traded.

Cant half tell hes playing a contract year.
Should be retained though, especially because we dont have other players like him.

Cant half tell hes playing a contract year.
Should be retained though, especially because we dont have other players like him.
I'm neutral on the idea of trading Mackay. He adds value to the team, but he's not irreplaceable. Has value, but trading someone who doesn't want to leave is bad for team morale (as Brisbane have discovered). I wouldn't be upset if he was traded, I wouldn't be upset if he was re-signed.

Big difference.
Thomas left for the money and wanted to leave
Vince was pushed out the door and didnt want to leave

Theyre total opposite ends of the spectrum. In the middle you have the Nathan Bock who just got an offer that was too good to refuse, you cant really hate him for it. Gunston on the other hand...

Collingwood didn't want to keep Dale Thomas. Expensive and injury question marks.

he's gone to another club, by his choice...he would have got a 1 year contract and its up to him to perform well to get more years....but he chose the easy road and went to another club where an average performance would see him in the best players every week...
i'll be booing the living daylights out of him...he's the enemy now

he's gone to another club, by his choice...he would have got a 1 year contract and its up to him to perform well to get more years....but he chose the easy road and went to another club where an average performance would see him in the best players every week...
i'll be booing the living daylights out of him...he's the enemy now

So you want to boo a bloke who left because he was pushed to. We told him that he wasn't certain to get a contract extension in 12 months and we were in dire need of draft picks at the time. If your employer told you that they weren't sure if they would keep you for any longer than a year and another similar competing organization offered you better money and long term job security what would you do??

Also you don't think Port Adelaide's has the edge? Couple of guys a little over the 25 mark but still - Boak, Wines, Hartlett, Wingard, Ebert, Polec, Broadbent, and then Gray at 26? Compared with...Dangerfield, Sloane, Smith, B. Crouch, M. Crouch, Grigg, and Douglas at 27.

Theirs looks stronger imo.

But id rather Tex and Talia than Shulz/Westhoff and Jonas/Trengrove (on age and ability)

You mean his finals form of 2009. His overall 2009 has become one of the great myths of our time.

Keenly await a few crude statistical representations of his season in retort.

It's possible my memory has distorted, but I remember his year being quite impressive. He did win the best and fairest, in a team that was pretty good without being amazing.

I have been one of Mackay's biggest detractors over the past few years, but in no way should we get rid of him at the end of this year. He is a free-agent at the end of the year and if we let him go - what we get back in compensation will not be what he is worth.

If we were to trade him it should have been 2010/2011 when Melbourne were sniffing around.

Ouch, I forgot he was eligible for F/A. Definitely keep him then! :p

As for Reilly's disposal, it's always been excellent. The problem with Reilly is that he struggles to make good decisions. When he does make good decisions he executes the kick well almost every time (everyone's entitled to a shank here and there).

That's why he is so suited to his current role. He's so rarely in a position where he needs to make a split-second decision so he doesn't get exposed on that front so often.

My memory is that it was his second half of 2009 that was so good. The impressive thing about it was that he started to get tagged, and yet his output only went up.

He was unbelievable in the Collingwood final in 2009. Looked like one of the real elite players of the AFL at that point in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back