The theme song, and why I won't renew my membership.

Should the club change the song back

• Yes

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Don't care, but I like bacon.

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I see this one come up occasionally and to be honest not something I've ever noticed or thought about on game day.

The only reason I can think of for the change would be that in some one's mind they thought it would be better to build up to the mighty Adelaide Crows later or something. Doesn't really work like that but who knows.

I don't mind a traditional footy song after a win so I would be worried that if we do actually change it we'll get something modern and soft like that West Coast Eagles song. We haven't really heard much of it since they launched it due to wins but it doesn't seem very fun to sing along to or I wouldn't say a song can be intimidating but whatever that is, it hasn't got it. And our version would probably be worse.

One change I would support is somehow shortening the instrumental section, unless it's a big win, it seems everyone around me gets tired or bored trying to clap on beat haha and it just fizzles out a bit as soon as it does.
They already have cut the middle out of it

They already have cut the middle out of it

See that's how much I pay attention haha No I travel to Adelaide for games now so only get to a couple of games per year and been a while since I saw us win so I've probably just forgot if it happened earlier than that.

I don't post much or often, but this has been bugging me for a while.

The first chorus used to be "We're the pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Adelaide Crows". Sometime later they rejigged the theme song, and turned that lyric into "We're the pride of South Australia, and we're known as the Adelaide Crows".

I hate that change, and I can't find any reason for it, and most of the time I hear people singing it they ignore that "known as the" line and stick with "mighty". The word "mighty" is used later in the song, so there's obviously not a problem with the word.

There was an membership advert on Triple M last week, talking about my song, my team, my history. And they're right. That was my song. What this is, isn't my song. My team are the mighty Adelaide Crows, and that's what we should be known as.

For what it's worth, I'm not going to renew my membership until my song is put right again. It was only a supporter membership, and maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but, in the words of Popeye, "That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more."

If the club wants my money, they'll fix the damn song.

If anyone is interested, according to this video they messed with it between 1997 and 1998. The overall quality is rubbish, but you can hear the difference.

Well here’s the full explanation again on what happened with the history of the Adelaide Crows club song, as I explained it at the time there is a Mandela effect attached to the song that has been incorporated as historical fact….

Here’s that 1994 SA Police Band demo version that featured on the Bill Sanders podcast
View attachment 1240728

The original intro music piece on that ‘94 version & the run out on to the ground Grand Final version was an absolute banger, no idea why it was removed/changed. The post game ‘97 Grand Final is a different recorded version that contains the 1994 lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” in the first verse not “Mighty Adelaide Crows”, that opening verse seems to have a bit of Mandela effect about it, it got changed to “Known as the Adelaide Crows” from the original lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” on The Fable Singers version when the AFL updated some teams songs & put them under their own copyright around 1998/99, there does not seem to actually be an official recorded version that had “We’re the Mighty Adelaide Crows” as the first verse used at Crows games.

You can even hear the confusion here in the 1997 Pre-Grand Final entertainment when they sing the Crows song at the 13:00 minute mark, they play the awesome original intro music but half of the choir seem to have had “Mighty Camry Crows” on the lyrics sheet while the other had “Mighty Adelaide Crows”

Should sticky that information so yet another song thread doesn’t pop up again in the future.

That sounds like a line from Pride of the Plains, which was Centrals club song in the late 80's/early 90's

I think the result of this thread is to revive that song "we're here to tell ya", and the Greg Champion one too to the Gundaghai theme.

This is our "heritage". Would love to hear those songs played at home games, if randomly.

Someone must have. It could be played when the team comes out for the pregame warm up. It's a great song.
i wonder if david burtenshaw has a copy of this floating around his archives?
On the voice over is says that it was written by Mark Rippett/Rupert? and sung by Wayne Pillbridge?

I've tried to Google either of them, but found nothing. Maybe I'm hearing it wrong?

We need to start a campaign to bring it back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't care about the song, but I'm considering not renewing in protest against the removal of the Barossa Valley hot dog stands from Adelaide Oval. We had them for the first year or two after moving there from Football Park and they were superb. And they just ripped them away from us as if it was nothing. NOTHING.

This aggression will not stand, man.
I noticed this and I was sad as occasionally i wanted a good hot dog, and no where else had them. HOWEVER, last year I ventured up to level 5 of the southern stand, AND THERE STILL IS 1 STAND THERE!!!!!!!!!!! When looking at the outdoor bar on level 5 of the southern stand, look to the right

Am I the only one who likes the Birds of Toyko version of the West Coast song?

It’s the worst thing that football club has ever done, it’s horrendously done and should have no place in the AFL. It should be reverted back to its previous version immediately, swear it played a part in their current downfall they’re suffering on-field, no one on earth would be inspired by it in fact it’s an absolute mood killer.

I noticed this and I was sad as occasionally i wanted a good hot dog, and no where else had them. HOWEVER, last year I ventured up to level 5 of the southern stand, AND THERE STILL IS 1 STAND THERE!!!!!!!!!!! When looking at the outdoor bar on level 5 of the southern stand, look to the right
Good lord. Is there any photographic evidence of this? Is it still there this year?

That's a hell of a long way from my usual haunt at ground level in the eastern stand just near the gate there. I might get there an hour early next time to make the long trek up there and back again if anyone can confirm that it's still there.

It’s the worst thing that football club has ever done, it’s horrendously done and should have no place in the AFL. It should be reverted back to its previous version immediately, swear it play a part in their current downfall they’re suffering on-field, no one on earth would be inspired by it in fact it’s an absolute mood killer.

Okay. So I am the only one.

1683094906015.gif

It’s the worst thing that football club has ever done, it’s horrendously done and should have no place in the AFL. It should be reverted back to its previous version immediately, swear it played a part in their current downfall they’re suffering on-field, no one on earth would be inspired by it in fact it’s an absolute mood killer.

It's the Raptor head of songs?

Is it a Barossa Fine Foods hot dogs being sold there though, or is it an old cart that Adelaide Oval haven't updated the signage

One of few. I think they should have changed the whole thing while they were at it. The chorus sounds like a beer ad.

Back when West Coast first joined the VFL their song was better as it actually had verses, but the AFL made them take them out in the early 90s because of the anti-Victoria messaging.

After the AFL got them to change the song all that was left was the music and the chorus which sounded terrible.

Back when West Coast first joined the VFL their song was better as it actually had verses, but the AFL made them take them out in the early 90s because of the anti-Victoria messaging.

After the AFL got them to change the song all that was left was the music and the chorus which sounded terrible.

Was that the reasoning?

It's a perfect song under their circumstances, but once Freo entered the league, it took away some meaning to it as Freo was taking players back as well.

This would have gone down well after the siren in 2018 GF.

Was that the reasoning?

It's a perfect song under their circumstances, but once Freo entered the league, it took away some meaning to it as Freo was taking players back as well.

I am pretty sure it was.

There was definitely a push back against the Crows with the anti-Victorian messaging especially with the Kick-A-Vic badges and anti-Victoria messaging/merchandise and the AFL stopped all of that from being sold around 92-93.

From memory the Eagles song was changed around that time too, I have always assumed that it was all part of the same push back.

Back