Toast Josh Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this had been effectively banned by means of a rule change a while back?
Wasn't that just for Centre bounces i.e at the start of the quarters and after a goal??

I'd like to see him jumping knees first into the opposition ruckman. Particularly if his name is Will Minson.
Notice when Minson tries his aggressive "moves" on opposition players he always picks on the small guys never on the big blokes???

Notice when Minson tries his aggressive "moves" on opposition players he always picks on the small guys never on the big blokes???
absolutely, he can be a real gutless prick, albeit a good ruckman. Even went after Lairdy on the weekend and Matty Crouch had to rip him off!

I have been vocal about Jenkins' lack of smart play for a KPP but this season he has been good most of the time.

My biggest pet peeves with him are:

1. He often does not fight for a front position and plays from behind which is a big No No for a key forward.
2. He often goes up one handed in a marking contest which again, for a key forward is not great. He is a capable contested mark and at times he will execute it perfectly...lead up strong, mark at the highest point (harder to spoil) and protects the drop zone for the marks in front so I find myself asking why the * does he not do that more often.
3. He is a shithouse at actual ruck work but at least tries to nullify the taps
4. He was a great set shot for goal in 2012 but it has gone pear shaped since them.

Despite all this, he generally get some 5 shots at goal per game which is a pretty impressive return for an inexperienced forward.

Most of these are correctable and he seems to be improving in these areas. He has relished the chance of getting 2nd best defender this season and has been kicking goals for us (and missing quite a few)

Statistically, Jenkins has got almost every Key Forward in the game covered so far bar Hawkins. He is averaging more goals, disposals, total marks, contested marks & marks inside 50 than Buddy who is on $1m a year. All we need now is consistency from Jenkins. He has played 4 consecutive good games now. Pity he kicked inaccurately against Sydney because he would be the number 1 key forward in the game for average goals per game. He has Hawkins covered for average disposals & marks per game and just below for goals per game (thanks to the inaccurate Sydney game).

This sort of consistency over the past few matches is similar to what Tex displayed in 2012, where he'd have these run of games where he'd consistently kick 4 or so goals a match.

I like that he averages 0.4 more bounces per game. I love seeing the big boy have a bounce. Looks like he's taking it easy but he covers the ground so quickly

plus the added bonus that he alternates his bouncing hand from right to left, like a basketballer. that running goal he kicked in 2012 against Carlton was amazing. when Tex is back to his best, Jenkins can be a real threat.

I have been vocal about Jenkins' lack of smart play for a KPP but this season he has been good most of the time.

My biggest pet peeves with him are:

1. He often does not fight for a front position and plays from behind which is a big No No for a key forward.
2. He often goes up one handed in a marking contest which again, for a key forward is not great. He is a capable contested mark and at times he will execute it perfectly...lead up strong, mark at the highest point (harder to spoil) and protects the drop zone for the marks in front so I find myself asking why the **** does he not do that more often.
3. He is a shithouse at actual ruck work but at least tries to nullify the taps
4. He was a great set shot for goal in 2012 but it has gone pear shaped since them.

Despite all this, he generally get some 5 shots at goal per game which is a pretty impressive return for an inexperienced forward.

Most of these are correctable and he seems to be improving in these areas. He has relished the chance of getting 2nd best defender this season and has been kicking goals for us (and missing quite a few)
1. Has been addressed this year as notice that he has been getting his skates on & offering many leads & given he is quick of the mark, this leads to lots of easy marks/possessions.

3. Would really like him working more on his actual ruck work, but at least this year he appears to be roving to the opposition taps & offering to be another midfielder on the ball.

4. It's a mental/set-shot process issue, which can be fixed. When he has no time to think & uses his instincts, he is more accurate than when he has time.

Overall, he has a great upside as still relatively new to AFL.

Those critical of him in his 1st game forget he had an interrupted pre-season, which just about always means a player will struggle when they 1st come back.

Statistically, Jenkins has got almost every Key Forward in the game covered so far bar Hawkins. He is averaging more goals, disposals, total marks, contested marks & marks inside 50 than Buddy who is on $1m a year. All we need now is consistency from Jenkins. He has played 4 consecutive good games now. Pity he kicked inaccurately against Sydney because he would be the number 1 key forward in the game for average goals per game. He has Hawkins covered for average disposals & marks per game and just below for goals per game (thanks to the inaccurate Sydney game).

Wait til we play some quality opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He absolutely abused Keeffe, both mentally and physically

It was fantastic.

I must admit I never rated Jenkins previously but some of his performances this year have been outstanding. His speed for a big man is incredible and his aerial ability is excellent. He seems to be the best player we've got at getting space on an opponent and taking marks. We've done very well here.

Daresay not far from being as effective as his predecessor was at his best, not to mention JJ's consistency has been one of his more impressive points in recent times.

I must admit I never rated Jenkins previously but some of his performances this year have been outstanding. His speed for a big man is incredible and his aerial ability is excellent. He seems to be the best player we've got at getting space on an opponent and taking marks. We've done very well here.

Welcome aboard the J-Train. Chooo, Chooooo!!!!

Has kicked 17 goals in the last 5 games (average of 3.4) - over a whole season that's on pace for about 75 goals.
Even if he drops off that pace, if he could kick 50, it would be immense with Walker there also.

Considering JJ's pathway to being an AFL player his development is quite extraordinary and given his 2013 end of season injury IMO he was unfairly judged during the pre-season

If you haven't seen the replay look at Tex bringing the players in tight prior to breaking for the final qtr

He had them in tight and he was pumping the team up

This guy is just getting better and better, He learnt a hell of a lot last year when he was getting the No 1 defender most weeks, That expierence is now paying off with two other forwards to take some load off him, Get on JJ for Coleman as a roughy (ok that might be setting sights a bit high:p)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back